My RSR 425xl Re-build is Now My Waterbox 220.6 Dream Build..Goodbye 2020!!

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love fluval fx but those a fairly expensive.
Unfortunately, I can’t find anything cheap. The tub has been running without any filtration (except skimmer) since 2/15..don’t think I have a choice at this point

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150 gallon..

Don‘t suppose someone can give me a REALLY simple explanation on how to make this work

The simplest would be to just place the canister on a support higher than the edge of the tub, skip the U's, and just attach the drop tubes directly to the flexible hoses to the filter allowing the flexible hoses to make the transition in direction from top of canister over top of tub. I am making some assumptions, but likely correct.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simplest would be to just place the canister on a support higher than the edge of the tub, skip the U's, and just attach the drop tubes directly to the flexible hoses to the filter allowing the flexible hoses to make the transition in direction from top of canister over top of tub. I am making some assumptions, but likely correct.
This model the body has to be lower than the water volume to work.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the siphon to work properly the body has to be lower than the surface of the water. I used the 406 for a long time before I cracked the motor housing. Solid filter

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This model the body has to be lower than the water volume to work.
Oh, yeah, that would be a VERY important consideration that I missed since I was only considering the plumbing and not the function. Most canister filters probably do not have a strong enough pump to avoid the requirement of siphon down to the canister.
The concept of using flex hose to make a larger U than the included plastic one is still valid, but may require additional hose than what is included. I hope @Dolelo96 does not run into issues trying to keep a certain water height in the tub to avoid siphon issues over the tub edge...

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, yeah, that would be a VERY important consideration that I missed since I was only considering the plumbing and not the function. Most canister filters probably do not have a strong enough pump to avoid the requirement of siphon down to the canister.
The concept of using flex hose to make a larger U than the included plastic one is still valid, but may require additional hose than what is included. I hope @Dolelo96 does not run into issues trying to keep a certain water height in the tub to avoid siphon issues over the tub edge...
How much leeway do I have before I have to worry about that? I don’t have an ATO set up, so I’m manually replacing water evaporation
D7C6DD67-2064-422E-8538-F76F736783A7.jpeg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a lot. Try to get the siphon tube to touch the bottom. You won't have to worry about loosing a siphon. We are talking gallons not evaporation.

I had my 406 canister running with only half the 75g filled.

Last edited:

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much leeway do I have before I have to worry about that? I don’t have an ATO set up, so I’m manually replacing water evaporation
D7C6DD67-2064-422E-8538-F76F736783A7.jpeg
Can you make use of the ports drilled through the side of the tub? ...or would it be possible to add more holes to run the hose through the sides? This would be the simplest solution for siphon pressure considerations, but read the following:

I am not sure that water height would have an effect in your case, since I think the height difference from top of tub down to water surface would probably have to be several feet before you see an issue (at least, once the siphon is established). The concern is that the initial height difference is the lifting power required by the filter pump to start siphon. The pump has to provide enough vacuum to lift the column of water up until it loops over the top. If it is a filter that you fill manually and prime to start the siphon, I do not think this would be an issue. As long as you prevent the hose from kinking over the top of the tub (probably not much of an issue with such a large top radius), it looks like it should work for you to just run hoses over the top of the tub. You will probably have to get additional hose and barb or other type fittings to connect the additional hose to the ones that come with the filter.
...or use the fittings from the hoses that come with the filter and replace just the length of hose with a longer length purchased at a hardware store.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you make use of the ports drilled through the side of the tub? ...or would it be possible to add more holes to run the hose through the sides? This would be the simplest solution for siphon pressure considerations, but read the following:

I am not sure that water height would have an effect in your case, since I think the height difference from top of tub down to water surface would probably have to be several feet before you see an issue (at least, once the siphon is established). The concern is that the initial height difference is the lifting power required by the filter pump to start siphon. The pump has to provide enough vacuum to lift the column of water up until it loops over the top. If it is a filter that you fill manually and prime to start the siphon, I do not think this would be an issue. As long as you prevent the hose from kinking over the top of the tub (probably not much of an issue with such a large top radius), it looks like it should work for you to just run hoses over the top of the tub. You will probably have to get additional hose and barb or other type fittings to connect the additional hose to the ones that come with the filter.
The 406 has a primer you start the siphon. Has a little plunger that you manually start. Nice little feature.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 406 has a primer you start the siphon. Has a little plunger that you manually start. Nice little feature.
That is the same as my Cascade canister filters. There is a 3"-diameter push-button plunger to start the siphon. I forgot when using generalities in my previous response that @Dolelo96 is specifically considering the Fluval A440, which has a plunger for starting the siphon. It is certainly a nice little feature.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
how about Eheim classic 2217 or magnum 350 both have flex hose and can run at any level ,easy to extend hoses to where you need them??

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the same as my Cascade canister filters. There is a 3"-diameter push-button plunger to start the siphon. I forgot when using generalities in my previous response that @Dolelo96 is specifically considering the Fluval A440, which has a plunger for starting the siphon. It is certainly a nice little feature.
Its all good. I was going 406 was what @delelo96 was going with.

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

...or use the fittings from the hoses that come with the filter and replace just the length of hose with a longer length purchased at a hardware store.
Not enough of a dyi person to use the drilled hole. They originally said they use that when they run a pump..not sure what pump and how

OP
OP
Dolelo96

Dolelo96

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how about Eheim classic 2217 or magnum 350 both have flex hose and can run at any level ,easy to extend hoses to where you need them??
The only thing I could get locally was the fluval 307 & 407. I’m trying to do this as easy as possible. I’m having some mobility issues..not able to crawl around much to set this up. I had to put the trident test solution is a plastic container, because it was going to overflow..luckily it’s out of reagent :confused:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only thing I could get locally was the fluval 307 & 407. I’m trying to do this as easy as possible. I’m having some mobility issues..not able to crawl around much to set this up. I had to put the trident test solution is a plastic container, because it was going to overflow..luckily it’s out of reagent :confused:
either one of these will work on chair with hoses dropped into tub..

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
either one of these will work on chair with hoses dropped into tub..
@Dolelo96 This is the simplest solution. Adjust the height of the canister relative to the tub until it can maintain flow by sufficient pump pressure for siphon. The stock hoses with the filter may be long enough if you use this solution.

Back