My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what we're planning. Now Andrew is aspiring to something like yours. "No pressure, mom" Lol. I think I can do it on the cheap. I have a plan.

You showed him my sump did you? :p I can't wait to see what you have in store for yours:D

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I show my wife and kid pics of tanks and sumps worse than mine. I don’t need any extra pressure on me and they think I’m a reefing god! So nope they will not see the Michaelangelo of sumps if I have any say :cool:

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yes! I WANT him to aspire like that!!!

I love it! One only needs to be limited by there imagination.

I show my wife and kid pics of tanks and sumps worse than mine. I don’t need any extra pressure on me and they think I’m a reefing god! So nope they will not see the Michaelangelo of sumps if I have any say :cool:

Lol!!! Oh come on, a picture wouldn't hurt :p ;)

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here we go!!!
20200326_104213.jpg

Hey @Fin, does this mean my build is wet now? Or does this not count because I'll be draining it again?

Hey water is water. Glad to see the progress. The closed loop plumbing looks clean and well thought out. How full have you been able to get it??

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey water is water. Glad to see the progress. The closed loop plumbing looks clean and well thought out. How full have you been able to get it??

I agree, water is water :)

It is now currently half full, had some leaks I had to take care of with the bulkheads but everything now seems to be running as intended:) It will be filled right around 3/4's and I'm going to let it run overnight.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank is currently draining, 2 of the bulkheads started to leak again so I think a little more serious surgery will have to be done to fix the issues. Ironically, there are some 50+ glue joints in the whole thing and the only leaks that have happened have come from the bulkhead seals themselves.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it's sad, honestly I'm not that upset about it. As I mentioned, there are 50+ glued and threaded joints, 10 unions and 14 true union ball valves of which none of them failed even with the pumps running at max. So to me, it's still a pretty positive outcome (I expected much worse). A little more time and a couple more turns of a wrench should hopefully get the job done and it will be ready to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't cinch them too tight, could be a bad gasket.

Honestly they were hand tightened with rubber gloves at first, after the first leaks I took a wrench to them with probably an 1/8 of a turn on a couple and a 1/4 turn on the rest. It's the two I put the 1/8 of a turn on that sprung teeny tiny leaks (And when I say teeny tiny, I mean 1 drip every 5+ minutes, so small I thought they were condensation at first and it took a while to realize they were more than that), so I think they need the extra bit to make them good. But we shall see!

Loving the look of your new tank BTW!

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would inspect the gaskets really well before putting them back together. Any small distortion in the gasket and it will not seal up no matter what you do. Also, a small amount of silicone grease on the gaskets often helps everything to seal up nicely.

Glad to hear that it is only two very small leaks from bulkheads so far. You will have that fixed in no time I am sure.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I've now spent the last couple days playing whack-a-mole with these bulkheads. I had one that wouldn't stop leaking no matter what we did and earlier I just cut the bulkhead out and replaced it entirely. Now the tank is full for the 6th time and a different bulkhead has sprung a tiny leak. It should be an easier fix than the last one so we are currently about to drain the tank again ;Shifty BUT, as of right now, the tank is full to the top and has been running with the pumps on 100% for the last hour and a bit. And everything other than this one is now 100% sealed up (Knock on wood!!)

So hopefully once I clean this last one up it will be DONE! Otherwise I might go bananas and smash something

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Glad you're making some progress. FYI you're definitely going to beat me with getting the tank up and running.. hopefully I'll have mine by July :( (no joke)

Well, left it running at 100% for a total of 2 hours and two more started leaking ;Shifty So at this point I'm doing my best not to smash it and start fresh. The bulkhead seals themselves aren't leaking this time around it's the threaded adapters that are screwed into them that are leaking so I'll have to spin them off and repaste them. Not the end of the world but my patience is running a little thin...

So we shall see, we might be ordering at the same time :p

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, left it running at 100% for a total of 2 hours and two more started leaking ;Shifty So at this point I'm doing my best not to smash it and start fresh. The bulkhead seals themselves aren't leaking this time around it's the threaded adapters that are screwed into them that are leaking so I'll have to spin them off and repaste them. Not the end of the world but my patience is running a little thin...
paste not teflon tape?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back