My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly, now it's much easier for you to get it done!

So, when are you showing up?

Immediately following recepit of the check you mailed to me to cover gas for my 1997 F350 dually with fiberglass truck body that gets about 11 miles per gallon. For a Canadian, like you, that's roughly 3 miles per liter!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Immediately following recepit of the check you mailed to me to cover gas for my 1997 F350 dually with fiberglass truck body that gets about 11 miles per gallon. For a Canadian, like you, that's roughly 3 miles per liter!

Or 4.8Km/litre :p I might spring for a plane ticket at that price ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or 4.8Km/litre :p I might spring for a plane ticket at that price ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Good catch. You got me! I failed to do miles to km's. (Honestly, I do find it silly that we (USA) never converted to metric. It is so much user friendly and common sense based. I recall they started teaching it to us when I was in about the 2nd grade (1974ish). They told us the USA was going to be converting. They lied.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good catch. You got me! I failed to do miles to km's. (Honestly, I do find it silly that we (USA) never converted to metric. It is so much user friendly and common sense based. I recall they started teaching it to us when I was in about the 2nd grade (1974ish). They told us the USA was going to be converting. They lied.

I started working in the contracting industry where in Canada it's mostly Imperial measurement dominated. It's what I was taught in shop class. I starting work in the bridge building industry in my early 20s where all government projects are all in metric. For such a simple system it was a steep learning curve lol. Now I'm in the railroad industry where we use MPH speed limits and military time. Such a headache.

Last edited:

blackizzz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of the most fascinating things are how complicated the imperial system is compared to metric.
Having become fairly comfortable with the imperial system despite never actually using it is quite a blessing, like you're so grateful that we use the metric system ;Happy

But I guess most countries have some kind of trademark stupidity, like the UK and their driving on the wrong side of the road ;)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started the fun today/yesterday and hopefully will be finishing it up today. Had to pull some electrical lines and remove a light or two but it's now ready to be jacked up and reinforced :)

20190812_144234.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a little bit since my last update, not long after my last post I realized that I had purchased the wrong length lumber and the 8 footers I bought were about 7 inches too short to get the job done ;Facepalm :rolleyes: . A trip back to Lowes and a little cursing and swearing at myself along the way and I finally acquired the correct length lumber and set about the fun process of installing the new floor joists.

Right off the bat I ran into an issue which totally threw me off. The original floor joists are 9" instead of the standard 9 1/4". In my few years in the construction industry I had never seen 9" 2x10 before. This made installation of the 9 1/4" 2x10s incredibly difficult at first until I grabbed my bottle Jack's and cranked up the floor over the beam they rest on a touch. After that things were a breeze everything went in nicely. I did have to offset one if the joists due to some duct work over the beam but that wasn't a big deal. Got it all blocked up and wires reinstalled much to the wifes enjoyment as having only one working electrical outlet in the kitchen for a couple days was a catastrophe of biblical proportions.
20190820_105136.jpg
20190820_110743.jpg
20190828_204302.jpg
20190820_160743.jpg
20190820_160748.jpg

Tank is nice and level now with a couple composite shims and while doing the final adjustments I got to experience how soft starphire glass really is. My Eurobracing is starphire glass and shortly after removing the level I noticed a couple small scratches on the bracing from the magnetic edge of the level that had attracted a couple small chunks of apparently glass carving material;Rage;Drowning;Shifty. I'm pretty bummed about it all and am debating attempting to polish them out but don't even know how to attempt such a feat. I don't think I'll notice them atall looking from the seating areas and it is a little hard to notice them just looking at the tank but I'm one of those guys that knows they are there and I have a hard time ignoring things like that once I know.

On a lighter note I put down my deposit for my new custom sump! The design is still flexible as of now and this preliminary drawing was just to get things off the ground, there are a TON of features not shown in either drawing and we will have to keep those under wraps for right now.
20190815_203833.jpg

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the scratches are hardly noticeable to you now, I can’t imagine you’ll notice them once the tank is up and running. Luckily it’s on the eurobrace and probably only visible from certain top down angles, a scratch anywhere else is harder to miss. If it’s still nagging at you in a year, then maybe time to attempt polishing. But, maybe you’ll be too busy focusing on your beautiful reef to acknowledge the scratch ever existed... :)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll come back in a couple of years and remind you about the scratches.

Hopefully its wet by then ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

If the scratches are hardly noticeable to you now, I can’t imagine you’ll notice them once the tank is up and running. Luckily it’s on the eurobrace and probably only visible from certain top down angles, a scratch anywhere else is harder to miss. If it’s still nagging at you in a year, then maybe time to attempt polishing. But, maybe you’ll be too busy focusing on your beautiful reef to acknowledge the scratch ever existed... :)

That's what I'm hoping for and I'm sure I'll forget about it in time, just gotta get it full of corals:)

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a little bit since my last update, not long after my last post I realized that I had purchased the wrong length lumber and the 8 footers I bought were about 7 inches too short to get the job done ;Facepalm :rolleyes: . A trip back to Lowes and a little cursing and swearing at myself along the way and I finally acquired the correct length lumber and set about the fun process of installing the new floor joists.

Right off the bat I ran into an issue which totally threw me off. The original floor joists are 9" instead of the standard 9 1/4". In my few years in the construction industry I had never seen 9" 2x10 before. This made installation of the 9 1/4" 2x10s incredibly difficult at first until I grabbed my bottle Jack's and cranked up the floor over the beam they rest on a touch. After that things were a breeze everything went in nicely. I did have to offset one if the joists due to some duct work over the beam but that wasn't a big deal. Got it all blocked up and wires reinstalled much to the wifes enjoyment as having only one working electrical outlet in the kitchen for a couple days was a catastrophe of biblical proportions.
20190820_105136.jpg
20190820_110743.jpg
20190828_204302.jpg
20190820_160743.jpg
20190820_160748.jpg

Tank is nice and level now with a couple composite shims and while doing the final adjustments I got to experience how soft starphire glass really is. My Eurobracing is starphire glass and shortly after removing the level I noticed a couple small scratches on the bracing from the magnetic edge of the level that had attracted a couple small chunks of apparently glass carving material;Rage;Drowning;Shifty. I'm pretty bummed about it all and am debating attempting to polish them out but don't even know how to attempt such a feat. I don't think I'll notice them atall looking from the seating areas and it is a little hard to notice them just looking at the tank but I'm one of those guys that knows they are there and I have a hard time ignoring things like that once I know.

On a lighter note I put down my deposit for my new custom sump! The design is still flexible as of now and this preliminary drawing was just to get things off the ground, there are a TON of features not shown in either drawing and we will have to keep those under wraps for right now.
20190815_203833.jpg

Now that is some old school drafting, I love it, haven’t pulled out my drafting board in ages.

I have one of these only mine is 30 years old and I got it from my dad who started his career as a draftsman in the early 60’s.

3551DF36-31FD-441A-BAF6-0901562714BA.png

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that is some old school drafting, I love it, haven’t pulled out my drafting board in ages.

I have one of these only mine is 30 years old and I got it from my dad who started his career as a draftsman in the early 60’s.

3551DF36-31FD-441A-BAF6-0901562714BA.png

Thanks! It's just a classic ruler for me, I need to track down some good ISO paper as well. If I actually had a drafting table I'd probably spend WAY too much time drawing things out lol. Something SO relaxing about sitting down, putting your pencil to paper and seeing all your thoughts and ideas get drawn out. I'm waiting for the 3D/CAD drawings to come in for this design for my approval (Definitely outside of my wheelhouse).

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, but as someone that scratched his starphyre glass day one with a frag rack moving around, you'll always notice it haha. Mine is only visible when kneeling and looking up, but as Josh said, you know it's there and it will always bug you to a point.

Honestly my experience with PPG starphyre is that it's super susceptible to scratching, far more than anything I experienced with my "starphire" IM nuvo tanks. I was taken aback at how easy it was, even the Tunze metal blade for the care magnet was creating light scratch points.

Who's making the sump Josh?

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190815_203833.jpg

Love it. I made a "doodle" thread a while back... u should share this there!

And great on the fly work with the floor beams. Macguyver!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys, but as someone that scratched his starphyre glass day one with a frag rack moving around, you'll always notice it haha. Mine is only visible when kneeling and looking up, but as Josh said, you know it's there and it will always bug you to a point.

Honestly my experience with PPG starphyre is that it's super susceptible to scratching, far more than anything I experienced with my "starphire" IM nuvo tanks. I was taken aback at how easy it was, even the Tunze metal blade for the care magnet was creating light scratch points.

Who's making the sump Josh?

Well atleast it's on the outside of the eurobracing so honestly the only time I see it is when I'm looking down on the aquarium. And now that I have experienced how soft it really is I know how careful I need to be in the future while doing regular cleaning. Otherwise I might have just ignored the one stray spec of sand in my scraper like I do in my Nuvo and it would be a very, very bad experience.

And the sump is being made in Ontario by Adaptive Reef. Lots of work getting things laid out properly and working the sump into future projects as well. I have quite the vision for the fish room that hopefully Kyle can live up to, although I'm sure he won't disappoint.

Love it. I made a "doodle" thread a while back... u should share this there!

And great on the fly work with the floor beams. Macguyver!

I'll have to share a few I must've missed that thread unfortunately.

And thanks lol it certainly helps having a background in construction to be able to work through these kinds of problems as they come up. And, probably more important is the fact that I actually had the tools on hand to adjust on the fly so to speak. SO much harder to deal with problems if you don't have a decent tool stash to work from.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't understand why PPG is so much, softer, than whatever IM is using, since they claim it's also low iron. I beat on that glass with the scraper, razor blades, the tunze metal blade, frag rack being pulled all over, and it's as mint as the day I bought it not a single scratch.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't understand why PPG is so much, softer, than whatever IM is using, since they claim it's also low iron. I beat on that glass with the scraper, razor blades, the tunze metal blade, frag rack being pulled all over, and it's as mint as the day I bought it not a single scratch.

Wonder if it's more of a pure low iron and the stuff IM uses just sort of sneaks into low iron range but is closer to regular glass. I've done the same with my IM tanks and not a scratch to be seen anywhere.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back