My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
o man! one piece euro! love the set up! if the scratch is still buggin you try some cerium oxide. do it in a test spot first, i used it with some success! i think you are making the right call on avoiding the oceans motions.

Even with the scratches it still blows me away every time I look at it. I'm SO glad I went that route even with the added cost. And thanks for the reassurance with the Ocean Motions, I do absolutely love the concept but I don't want to have to worry about spare parts or any issues doen the road even with there typically long life.

You are welcome Josh, from me and Caveman! :) great update. I like the idea of using two return pumps. I have been kicking the idea around a little bit. Is the purpose of dc pumps just so you can fine tune the flow or do they ramp up and down for changes in flow?

So the pumps I was discussing earlier are actually for my closed loop flow system. My return pump will be a Reeflo Swordtail to pump from the basement sump to the tank :)
Each Closed loop pump will be plumbed to opposite outlets and each will have a different flow pattern programmed into it so they are out of sync, hopefully creating some nice random flow. These outlets will actually have dual 3/4" locline outlets with a couple having VCA Random Flow Generators attached to them.
Screenshot_20191029-032934_Samsung capture.jpg

Thank you for the update josh! We are just eager because we know how good this tank is gunna be once up and running. I for one am loving the slow and steady long thought out progress. ;-)

Nothing wrong with being eager, I know I certainly am! And honestly I'm slightly enjoying the ability to really get down and think things over. It's actually got me working through problems much easier and finding out better solutions to issues I've had with the overall original build plan.

Following, I bet this is going to look waay good. Did you ever decide what lighting your going with? If you did orpheks. this would literally be my dream tank (closed loops are my favorite, and on a shallow tank? *drool*). Cant wait to see how this turns out.

Mentioned above with the lighting :D and thank you very much! I decided to steer clear of the Atlantik V4s for mostly cost reasons. They suggested two maybe even three V4s for my build and that puts lighting in the $3400-4100 range, which is a little more than I wanted to spend lol

Also there have been some reports popping up lately about certain UV diodes failing after just a year, maybe even less, requiring the light to be taken apart and fixed or sent in to Orphek. While Orphek seems to be handling the problem with excellent customer service, it's just not something I want to be dealing with.

wow... just wow. Just went through this whole thread
Those tank dimensions are perfect. Stand is beautiful. YOou guys make a lovely couple, congrats, and that mountain side resort is GORGEOUS

Thank you!!!!! It's been a fun build so far and once the new year hits it will get much more interesting I promise!

And thank you again, it was an amazing day in such a wonderful setting and I was lucky enough to share it with such a beautiful, smart fun woman who I can now call my wife:D:D:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd take that scratched eyesore in a heartbeat! Gorgeous tank!

Lol I bet you would! Scratches aside it really is an awesome tank and I can't wait to get it filled someday soon. I just might try buffing the scratches a little bit to see if I can make them slightly less noticeable. But we will see, I can't imagine actually attempting something that might make things worse either.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would worry about making it hazy

My concerns as well, this glass is crazy soft, atleast compared to my Red Sea and IM tanks. Hense my hesitation to try and fix them. But as others have said, once it's full I won't be paying much attention to the couple scratches on the Eurobracing and they are right, eventually I'll forget about them (I hope!) :)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance your going with Geisemann for the MH/T5 Hybrid? I have modified an old Infinity shell replacing the MH with Radions but I think that light would look awesome over that beautiful tank. One Piece Euro... who knew..?

It would and actually was one of my forerunners originally but unfortunately Geisessmann discontinued the MH combo fixture just this year :( And yeah, it seems to pique a lot of people's interest. I love it, it's different but in a cleaner look way:)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always sucks to wait for stuff to come in, but it seems your are spending the time wisely. Lots of planning and research always pays off in the end.

The MH orphek led combo sound like a great idea, but Geissman is hard to turn down if you have the bank roll.

Thanks for the update and...
Carry on :)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always sucks to wait for stuff to come in, but it seems your are spending the time wisely. Lots of planning and research always pays off in the end.

The MH orphek led combo sound like a great idea, but Geissman is hard to turn down if you have the bank roll.

Thanks for the update and...
Carry on :)

It sure does! It's like Christmas day waiting to open presents every time I order something new for the tank lol But yes, all this time has given me a great opportunity to really sit down and look over and adjust my plans. Something I feel alot of Reefers don't really do during there builds and some end up regretting it.

My plans from the beginning have changed ever so slightly in a couple regards but they are changes I probably would have made eventually and it would have cost me so much more to do them after the fact.

I agree Geissman is absolutely hard to turn down and I might try and track down one of there fixtures anyway. But I do have a plan already that doesn't include there fixture if I don't end up finding one I'm happy with.

Thanks for checking in Rich, trying to keep up with your thread is almost as bad as Katrina's now:)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The planning part I sorta missed when I had my 125 on a canister / hob skimmer filtration. So happy I drained and drilled it. Hence the BT title.. "learning curve" ;)

The ATI fixtures are sweet too. But my buddy has me pretty much sold on the AquatLife t5 led hybrid fixtures. I have years to plan my dream tank. For now just farming coral. :)

Gowyn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liking the idea of the closed loop myself.

Are you planning on running an Apex? If so perhaps consider the Neptune COR pumps. BRS just did a recent YouTube vid on them, actually best pumps 2019. Fully Apex ready DC pumps. I’m running two CORs return pumps and love them.

Anyway good luck. Planning on a Miracles build myself.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH you can still order new spectras! I may or may not have pmd you but idr with work and being lazy.. the more I read your thread btw the more I feel bad for being a copy cat. I thinking 2 small Vortech for return and 3 for closed.

Anyway check the beast out! Paid last month! And have been working on it.
CA54730C-F72D-41D6-9F87-ECB8BAE6C394.jpeg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The planning part I sorta missed when I had my 125 on a canister / hob skimmer filtration. So happy I drained and drilled it. Hence the BT title.. "learning curve" ;)

The ATI fixtures are sweet too. But my buddy has me pretty much sold on the AquatLife t5 led hybrid fixtures. I have years to plan my dream tank. For now just farming coral. :)

At the end of the day as long as your happy now that's all that matters;Happy Doesn't matter how you got there.

And we can all dream a dream of bigger tanks, in all honesty this truly is my "Dream" tank so I don't have to worry about any upgrades atleast, aside from maybe some equipment upgrades. I think I will thoroughly enjoy the MH setup once it's all put together. I love the "Whiter" look they tend to give vs the blue wash, and they are somewhat plug and play which fits my desires nicely

I'll be happy to be at the farming coral stage, one day hopefully :)

;Spam!

Lol one day my friend, one day!

Following!!

Great to have you aboard Daniel!

Liking the idea of the closed loop myself.

Are you planning on running an Apex? If so perhaps consider the Neptune COR pumps. BRS just did a recent YouTube vid on them, actually best pumps 2019. Fully Apex ready DC pumps. I’m running two CORs return pumps and love them.

Anyway good luck. Planning on a Miracles build myself.

Thanks I love it too and can't wait to see how it all runs. I am planning for a GHL controller down the road which can control any 0-10v pump. Not really a huge fan of Neptune myself but it's great to hear they are working out well for you. :)

Awesome to hear you're planning a Miracles build, what size are you looking at?

@JoshH you can still order new spectras! I may or may not have pmd you but idr with work and being lazy.. the more I read your thread btw the more I feel bad for being a copy cat. I thinking 2 small Vortech for return and 3 for closed.

Anyway check the beast out! Paid last month! And have been working on it.
CA54730C-F72D-41D6-9F87-ECB8BAE6C394.jpeg

You did PM me, somehow I missed it originally so I'll have to get back to you. Don't feel bad atall for taking some inspiration from my build. I would absolutely love to see more tanks similar to mine as they are awesome!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back