My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya on the look being rebranded Reeflo pumps but have a tough time thinking MRC would take another pump and simply rebrand it. A phone call or email to Raj asking specific questions might be the answer. I was thinking the LP-4200 might suit your needs well. Perhaps another question for Raj.

I do think they are the same baldor motor block (Hense the similar look) but maybe the head assembly is different? Maybe they solved the seal issues? I'll definitely send Raj an email and see what he has to say

Edit: looks like the max head on the 4200 is 12 Ft.... I'd have the get the 6100 to make it work.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pumps for basement sumps are about the only disadvantage of having your fishroom on the lower level. Have you looked at the sicce SDC 9.0? At 16’ of head it still claims to deliver over 1000 gph if I remember there chart correctly. And 5 year warranty. That is the pump I decided to try out on my new build that will have a basement sump.

I will let you know how the SDC 9.0 does on my system once I get a tank so that I can get it up and running. My goal for flow is close to the same as yours, and my head will be slightly less. I am targeting 800-1000 gph and should have between 13' and 15' of head to overcome. Not quite as taxing on the flow curve, but it should be a good test.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will let you know how the SDC 9.0 does on my system once I get a tank so that I can get it up and running. My goal for flow is close to the same as yours, and my head will be slightly less. I am targeting 800-1000 gph and should have between 13' and 15' of head to overcome. Not quite as taxing on the flow curve, but it should be a good test.

Please do let me know, I find the flow curves on those mid range DC pumps to be.... well, generous. Lol. I might sacrifice a bit of flow depending on things but right now it's looking like a RD3 Speedy 230W Is in the lead

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I expect to not see exactly the flow that the curve shows, but for my goals, the flow curve shows that I should have 25% more than I need at full power. If it is off by 50% I will be severely disappointed.

The RD3 is a very nice pump. I am spending too much on the build right now already so couldn't justify that expense right now. Original plan was to drill the sump and use a reeflo pump I have sitting around, but wanted to try something different.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I expect to not see exactly the flow that the curve shows, but for my goals, the flow curve shows that I should have 25% more than I need at full power. If it is off by 50% I will be severely disappointed.

The RD3 is a very nice pump. I am spending too much on the build right now already so couldn't justify that expense right now. Original plan was to drill the sump and use a reeflo pump I have sitting around, but wanted to try something different.

My wife is a terrible enabler of mine. She just keeps saying get whatever you need as long as you don't have to replace it again. She hates it when I buy things if I end up wanting to replace a few months later lol

She is just happy that the sump is going in the basement, that was #1 on her list of requirements lol

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump going in the basement was number 1 on my list of requirements. My last tank at our previous house had a basement sump and it was amazing not to have to bend down and work under a stand to do tank maintenance and what not. You are going to love having the sump in the basement. Only down side is pump selection to get adequate flow through the system. Well worth it though.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump going in the basement was number 1 on my list of requirements. My last tank at our previous house had a basement sump and it was amazing not to have to bend down and work under a stand to do tank maintenance and what not. You are going to love having the sump in the basement. Only down side is pump selection to get adequate flow through the system. Well worth it though.

I hope so, I did loath having to sit on the ground to do any work on my old sump. Honestly that's the most exciting part for me about the basement fish room is the elevated sump. Its going to be so nice to work on now I can't wait!!

And yes the real downside is the pump costs indeed but I think even if I went with the most expensive option I still think it will be worth it.

That sump looks AMAZING! I am so full of envy at this moment. I am still trying to improve mine with DIY. ;Shifty

Nothing wrong with DIY sumps atall! Theres always a point of pride when you can create something that works well and does exactly what you want it to do. Plus it saves you a boat load of money, trust me, even now I'm at the point in this build where I think I've lost my mind.

I'd be making that sump a coffee table! Look at it! Look at it! Lol

Lol!!! I prefer one of those sand design tables I think @sfin52 or @Why-Me mentioned a while back, those things are WICKED!!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over a month since any updates. I am sure there something must have happened since January 23rd! Anything new, different, exciting or even mundane going on?

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is a terrible enabler of mine. She just keeps saying get whatever you need as long as you don't have to replace it again. She hates it when I buy things if I end up wanting to replace a few months later lol

She is just happy that the sump is going in the basement, that was #1 on her list of requirements lol
You are very lucky.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I was going to invite myself to your house to give you a kick in the tail with this build. However, it appears the border was just shut down between our countries. All 5,200 miles of it. Or 8,369 km for you because you're Canadian, eh.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are very lucky.

I agree, I am very, very lucky :)

Well, I was going to invite myself to your house to give you a kick in the tail with this build. However, it appears the border was just shut down between our countries. All 5,200 miles of it. Or 8,369 km for you because you're Canadian, eh.

Yeah, unfortunately they caught wind of you wanting to come up here and they had to shut it down. Gotta keep the riffraff out you know, priorities.

Anyway, sump is actually in Calgary I just have to go pick it up. The rest of the plumbing for my closed loop will be showing up tomorrow (Forgot a few things on my earlier order). And I have a week off starting friday afternoon in which I will be plumbing in the closed loop and testing it. So a teeny bit of progress. I'll be submitting my rock order in the next week so I can scape the tank, hopefully the way I want to :)

Just a quick snapshot of some of the plumbing for the closed loop...
20200313_190123.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I went and picked up the sump on Thursday, but didn't get a chance to take it out of the crate and have a good look at it. So finally after getting home late lastnight this morning we unpacked it from the crate to play around and check it out. First impression was wow this thing is HUGE and secondly I LOVE IT!!! So much space to work around and lots of room for everything I need to put in it. Thirdly this thing is built like a tank. 3/8" Acrylic on all walls, top and bottom, all joints are daddoed in for a triple sided bond. Everything looks immaculate and is VERY well assembled.

It was such a fun build working with @Elder1945 at Adaptive Reef and I look forward to working with Kyle again on a few more projects down the road.

20200321_140035.jpg

20200321_141802.jpg

20200321_191823.jpg

20200321_191843.jpg

20200321_191900.jpg

Filter sock chamber that can be switched out with a filter floss basket...
20200321_191922.jpg

Skimmer chamber with outlet for reactor pump....

20200321_191928.jpg

Reactor and return section in the back center, up front will be my frag tank/grow out section, something I needed to incorporate into the sump as I don't have the extra room elsewhere to do so. My plan is to cover the entire bottom with 1" Marine pure plates and place frag rocks over them.

20200321_191944.jpg

And last but not least, my Fuge section...

20200321_191956.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to start plumbing my Closed loop and hopefully leak test sometime in the coming days. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG I cannot love this enough. unique, awesome, like I said before, a work of art! Seeing it lit up is really incredible.

Thanks Brian! It really is an amazing sump, it was such a fun project and I can't wait to get it wet! I'm honestly really happy with the lighting inside the sump as well. It was a last minute decision to do but being able to have every nook and cranny lit up for easy cleaning when needed or working around things is something that is totally worth it.

Back