My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Josh you’re slightly making me feel better towards what I have coming. I’m pulling for ya cause I know plumbing can be a pain in the butt and with what? Several additional bulkhead? It’s no easy task.

Thanks for the positive vibes @smiley28 I could really use them. I drained the tank again and will be tackling this when I get back from work on Tuesday. It certainly isn't an easy task in the slightest. However I'm certain I'll figure it out eventually, even if it requires a new tank ;) :p Kidding!

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I went and picked up the sump on Thursday, but didn't get a chance to take it out of the crate and have a good look at it. So finally after getting home late lastnight this morning we unpacked it from the crate to play around and check it out. First impression was wow this thing is HUGE and secondly I LOVE IT!!! So much space to work around and lots of room for everything I need to put in it. Thirdly this thing is built like a tank. 3/8" Acrylic on all walls, top and bottom, all joints are daddoed in for a triple sided bond. Everything looks immaculate and is VERY well assembled.

It was such a fun build working with @Elder1945 at Adaptive Reef and I look forward to working with Kyle again on a few more projects down the road.

20200321_140035.jpg

20200321_141802.jpg

20200321_191823.jpg

20200321_191843.jpg

20200321_191900.jpg

Filter sock chamber that can be switched out with a filter floss basket...
20200321_191922.jpg

Skimmer chamber with outlet for reactor pump....

20200321_191928.jpg

Reactor and return section in the back center, up front will be my frag tank/grow out section, something I needed to incorporate into the sump as I don't have the extra room elsewhere to do so. My plan is to cover the entire bottom with 1" Marine pure plates and place frag rocks over them.

20200321_191944.jpg

And last but not least, my Fuge section...

20200321_191956.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to start plumbing my Closed loop and hopefully leak test sometime in the coming days. :)
Sorry Im late on the kudos but just got caught up on your build. Great Job @JoshH and @Elder1945. That is just a work of art. and I am in awe of this creation.
NOOOOWWWW I cant wait to see the Pedestal that The King of Sumps gets to sit on... I mean what is a king without a throne?

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Job @JoshH and @Elder1945. That is just a work of art. I am in awe of this creation.
NOOOOWWWW I cant wait to see the Pedestal that The King of Sumps gets to sit on... I mean what is a king without a throne?

Thank you @Ferrell !!! :D

You actually bring up the next item on the build list and that is a custom shelf for the sump to sit on. Start time on this hasn't been set in stone as of yet, with this virus going around things are shutting down all over unfortunately. However, if I do get to the stage of mounting the sump and the shelf isn't done, it will be placed on a temporary shelf until the permanent one is made.

Hope you get the odd ends tightened up and move on bud. That's a lot of glued points to get perfect the 1st time.

Thanks Rich! :)

I hope so too, I'm sure a bit more elbow grease is all it needs, really the frustration lies in filling it up and emptying it over and over again. It's just tap water thankfully but I still consider it extremely wasteful especially given the amount of fill ups I've done so far.

You are definitely right with the glued joints, I couldn't believe none of them leaked and still haven't leaked. And with all the frustration I am extremely grateful for that. Atleast I know my gluing skills aren't in question :D

I knocked on wood for you.

Thanks Victoria!

Hopefully you doing that works much better than when I did it:p

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woooo
Thank god you're building the sump shelf out of stone...that's a big sump!! ;Smuggrin

Stone shelf???? Hummm.... interesting idea.... ;Bookworm ;Writing

You will conquer this plumbing stuff, and when the tank is running and full of life, you won't even remember this struggle. Take your time and you will get it just fine.

Thanks man, I'm hoping I'll get this beast tackled soon enough. And I'm willing to bet you're right, eventually I'll forget about all this just like the scratches in my eurobracing ;Shifty :p I can't wait for the day when it is teeming with life!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll remind you. Lol. You can remind me too. You know we'll have at least one.

Such a good friend :p I sincerely hope you don't and as long as you're careful you shouldn't. Only reason I have some on mine is because I'm a bonehead.

Update: 1 hour with pumps at 100% and no leaks yet... Fingers crossed!!!

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a good friend :p And I sincerely hope you don't, and as long as you're careful you shouldn't. Only reason I have some on mine is because I'm a bonehead.

As it's already been said...

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Such a good friend :p I sincerely hope you don't and as long as you're careful you shouldn't. Only reason I have some on mine is because I'm a bonehead.

;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing;Singing

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
paste not teflon tape?
With plastic to plastic threaded connections, tape is not recommended by any manufacturer, rather paste is. The issue with tape is you can make it too easy to over-tighten a fitting. Short term it may not matter, but I had a SCH40 tee on my water storage vessel eventually split because of that.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, early on Spears did suggest teflon tape on there threaded fittings, Lasco on the other hand has always suggested paste. FWIW it is also pretty easy to overtighten using paste as it acts like a lubricant on the threads. This makes you feel like you need to keep turning until you can't turn anymore, this is where people usually end up splitting bulkheads because they go too far. The issue with tape is if it's too thin it won't work atall and even slightly too thick while you're tightening it the tape itself will bind and this can lead to cracked bulkheads especially. You can use either paste or tape, paste is infinitely easier to get right and why it's generally recommended by members (Myself included). Tape is not for the average joe to mess with and why I don't usually use it but I have before successfully (on a joint on my skimmer so if it did leak it wasn't a huge deal, even though it didn't).

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I use, It's a little thicker than the regular paste which is nice but makes it a little more difficult to brush on.
Screenshot_20200331-030238_Samsung Internet.jpg

Just heading off to work and things are still dry :D so that's 8 hours now. Hopefully the wife doesn't wake up to a wet floor in the morning ;Bored

Back