My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving every bit of this. Fingers crossed for a non-canoe inspector ;)

It's been quite the bit of work and almost as much planning but I think it will be totally worth it in the end :D

Look at that guy, running RO lines in conduit. Great idea ;)

JUST incase it leaks for whatever reason, it will flow out the receptacles instead of behind the walls also left a couple wires ran through it incase I need to fish some more lines through though I think I'm good :)

Update on the electrical plans for those that are curious, Ran Two 20 AMP circuits, one AFCI breaker which will run to a receptacle where it branches off to the return pump plugs and then to a GFCI outlet which will protect the rest of the outlets down the road. The other Circuit runs off an AFCI/GFCI breaker so it's protected right from the panel.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can ever move and have a chance at doing a fish room, it will be exactly as that. Running the RO externally has been a pain just due to having to try and hide it or make it look somewhat clean, with external conduit. That and once you start running AWC, you will never go back to routine manual water changes. It's the most "game changer" thing you can do in the hobby imo.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can ever move and have a chance at doing a fish room, it will be exactly as that. Running the RO externally has been a pain just due to having to try and hide it or make it look somewhat clean, with external conduit. That and once you start running AWC, you will never go back to routine manual water changes. It's the most "game changer" thing you can do in the hobby imo.

AWC's are on the list and one of those lines is for that purpose. FWIW they do have screw in clips for RO lines that work really well at keeping lines neat but they aren't cheap..

Still a bunch of plumbing to do, gotta run a drain and supply line for a sink I'm planning as well. But those will be exposed so have to wait for the drywall to be up first.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing RO related is cheap heh, that's why I made my own brackets. But yeah, conduit all the way.

It's sad but true, I showed my dad one of the John Guest valves, when I told him the price of one he looked at me like I had 10 heads.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When’s the expected due date? I just read through and I can’t wait

As things come up in life it seems to creep back further and further. Still waiting on the inspection so today I laid the subfloor down in the fish room. Tomorrow will be throwing subfloor down in the laundry room along with some walls. Gotta keep the better half happy :)

20200417_221537.jpg

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As things come up in life it seems to creep back further and further. Still waiting on the inspection so today I laid the subfloor down in the fish room. Tomorrow will be throwing subfloor down in the laundry room along with some walls. Gotta keep the better half happy :)

20200417_221537.jpg
Ahh ok. I’m excited can’t wait to follow along

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200417_221537.jpg

fortunately my wife has a “as long as we can still pay the bills” policy haha

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Especially if those bills are for reefing goods and livestock!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep grinding bud. That happy day will come soon if u stay busy ;)

Bit by bit! First box of dry rock is set to show up monday or Tuesday. I'll be ordering the rest of what I need on Thursday once I figure out exactly what I want. I really hope the price of this Marco premium shelf rock is worth it. Currently on the hunt for some saltwater mixing tanks that aren't insanely expensive.

Still waiting on the inspection, apparently they are running on limited inspectors so things are taking longer ;Bored

My wife is the same thankfully, all she really wanted in the laundry room was a warmer floor but I'm not going to finish the sump room and not the laundry room next door lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great! I've gotta get my act together and figure out how to start framing walls!

This is where I'm at with the laundry room right now....

20200424_094320.jpg

it's part of the inspection hold as well before I close everything up. Still need to replace the dryer vent with steel ducting. But if you need any help figuring things out or have questions at all shoot me a PM and I'll help you out best I can anyway. Once you get going it's pretty easy.

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is where I'm at with the laundry room right now.... it's part of the inspection hold as well before I close everything up. Still need to replace the dryer vent with steel ducting. But if you need any help figuring things out or have questions at all shoot me a PM and I'll help you out best I can anyway. Once you get going it's pretty easy.

Looks great! I've been watching a ton of you tube videos, I think the biggest thing is just starting it. I think I'll probably just have home depot deliver the framing wood vs trying to go out and pick it myself. I only have to frame one room right now that's important (the fish room/office) and then can worry about the rest of the basement later.

Definitely will send a PM in the next couple days here!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! I've been watching a ton of you tube videos, I think the biggest thing is just starting it. I think I'll probably just have home depot deliver the framing wood vs trying to go out and pick it myself. I only have to frame one room right now that's important (the fish room/office) and then can worry about the rest of the basement later.

Definitely will send a PM in the next couple days here!

DO NOT have home depot deliver the framing wood. Or if you do, order about 30% more of it than you think you need so you can return all the culled wood. As much as I love hockey and hockey sticks, they have no business going into walls and you'll get a lot of hockey stick shaped studs if you have them deliver it.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT have home depot deliver the framing wood. Or if you do, order about 30% more of it than you think you need so you can return all the culled wood. As much as I love hockey and hockey sticks, they have no business going into walls and you'll get a lot of hockey stick shaped studs if you have them deliver it.

That’s weird you like hockey being Canadian and all..

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good to know, I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the stud delivery vs in store pickup. Good news is I have the ability to transport them back and forth, as well as have a HD about a mile away. Luckily I only have 3 walls that really need framing, so it'll be a baptism by fire once of these weekends, maybe this one!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back