My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know, I've read a lot of mixed reviews about the stud delivery vs in store pickup. Good news is I have the ability to transport them back and forth, as well as have a HD about a mile away. Luckily I only have 3 walls that really need framing, so it'll be a baptism by fire once of these weekends, maybe this one!

Every project, whether it be a house, new room, new sky scraper, reef tank etc. Is only as good as the foundation it sits on. Take the time now and select the best materials for your project you can. Strait studs mean...

- More square and flat walls which leads to easier installation of drywall and less mud while taping.
- Snug clean fit when insulating which leads to less heat loss and a more efficient home.
- Clean square installation of electrical boxes which makes installing switches and plugs along with there cover plates easier

Just to name a few :)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now a zap, has definately happened to me, minus the drunk part. Boy would it be better if I was a little drunk each time :(
All things go smoother with a little jag on ;)

Two in the morning, "It'll be fine" drunken zap? ;)
Only 2? I have at least 4 by noon!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO NOT have home depot deliver the framing wood. Or if you do, order about 30% more of it than you think you need so you can return all the culled wood. As much as I love hockey and hockey sticks, they have no business going into walls and you'll get a lot of hockey stick shaped studs if you have them deliver it.

This has been a common issue for lumber delivery from Home Depot for quite a while now. Menards used to be much better but, unfortunately, even they have slipped in recent times. This also applies to treated lumber too.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been a common issue for lumber delivery from Home Depot for quite a while now. Menards used to be much better but, unfortunately, even they have slipped in recent times. This also applies to treated lumber too.

All comes down to time. As the years go on and companies push to do the same or more work with fewer staff, theres simply no time to provide quality customer service anymore. I remember when I worked at the depot ohh about 15 years ago in the lumber dept it was part of my job to go through the lifts of lumber and pick out all the bad ones to be thrown in our culled pile. But I had 3 other associates in the same department so I had the time to do it. Now at the same store theres one associate for lumber AND building materials. It's simply impossible to do anything other than answer a phone that constantly rings and try and handle the 10 people that have lengthy complicated questions about there projects

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright not MUCH of an update but got the overflow all plumbed up so once the inspection passes the tank can be moved back to it's permanent home and is ready to be plumbed into the sump room. Also means the tank can begin the cycling process once all my rock comes in!

20200426_203036.jpg

Left drain is the Secondary with the quick drain valves plumbed into it. In the event of a tank failure where I am not at home, 4 valves can be turned (2 closed and 2 opened) and one of the closed loop pumps will drain water quickly into the sump instead of all over the main floor. The sump will be plumbed so it can overflow into a couple large bins so everything can be transferred downstairs quickly if needed.

Middle drain is the emergency drain with the cleaning siphon line plumbed in. In the sump this emergency drain ends in a section where I can insert a filter sock and up at the tank I will have a siphon line for cleaning the tank and specifically the sand bed whenever and for however long I want to. Having a DC pump will allow me to up the flow on the return to make up for the extra water being siphoned down to the sump.

And last but certainly not least is the main siphon line on the right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks sharp. And the clear OF is nice to be able to peep it easily for issues.

A custom polycarbonate lid is in the works to keep the algae at bay as well. It wasn't part of the plan but certainly a nice bonus to be able to easily see what's going on in the overflow to diagnose any issues.

Shows how taking your time pays off, everything’s looking great so far

Thank you! It would be nice if it took a little less time lol but I've been able to incorporate every feature I've wanted to so far in the build and I'm glad I took the time to sit down and work out everything I wanted in advance instead of attempting to add things in later.

Looks good, you're getting there.

Bit by bit!

My first order of rocks showed up yesterday and a new challenge has presented itself. I ordered 30 pounds of Marco Premium shelf rocks and asked for the biggest pieces they had with the Hope's of being able to use a few to make the shelf I have planned for my scape.

However upon arrival I have come to the conclusion that the scape I want might be incredibly difficult to make with these rocks. I would need probably 6-10 pieces of them and they are too slim for acrylic rods. I could probably cement them together or use epoxy but I'm not sure how that will hold up over time given the slightly suspended nature of the scape I'm going for. @Katrina71 was gracious enough (Cruel reminders aside) to reach out to KP Aquatics on my behalf to see what they have to offer as a potential different route. Until then I'm working on a plan to figure this out incase that other route doesn't pan out...

20200428_093014.jpg

20200428_093030.jpg

20200428_093034.jpg

Last edited:

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past 3 builds I've done, I keep telling myself I'll build my structure (scape) and then drill the rocks for plugs, and then cycle the rock. Half my rock in the nano was drilled for plugs, and I wish I did it for the entire structure.

This go around I just threw all the rock I could into bins 3 months ago to get it cycled and figured I'll build something on the fly. You've inspired me to order some more shelf rock to throw into my bins to cycle. With only 18" of height, I'm going to have to plan for a pretty low look.

I'm glad to hear you have a lid coming for the overflow box, even with a lid, you'll still see some pretty gnarly growth of all sorts of stuff after a few years!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past 3 builds I've done, I keep telling myself I'll build my structure (scape) and then drill the rocks for plugs, and then cycle the rock. Half my rock in the nano was drilled for plugs, and I wish I did it for the entire structure.

This go around I just threw all the rock I could into bins 3 months ago to get it cycled and figured I'll build something on the fly. You've inspired me to order some more shelf rock to throw into my bins to cycle. With only 18" of height, I'm going to have to plan for a pretty low look.

I'm glad to hear you have a lid coming for the overflow box, even with a lid, you'll still see some pretty gnarly growth of all sorts of stuff after a few years!

I'm farrr too particular to just scape on the fly unfortunately and I think that's really probably the biggest issue. I have a scape in mind and I'm dead set on getting exactly that.

We have VERY similar tank heights and it does create a real challenge scape wise, especially when someone wants a shelf scape. ;Shifty But even if I didn't want a shelf, shallow tanks in general seem to require much more thought when it comes to scaping. Flow considerations are much more important because theres less options for power head heights and placement. Growth needs to be carefully thought of so rock and coral placement in general need to be given serious thought as well. Things are just more flexible in deeper tanks.

And yeah the lid was something I didn't think of when I ordered the tank but it's definitely needed. Heck maybe it could turn into a little cryptic zone over time :p

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm farrr too particular to just scape on the fly unfortunately and I think that's really probably the biggest issue. I have a scape in mind and I'm dead set on getting exactly that.

For about a decade I've called myself a cavalier and lazy reefer. When I'm wanting an organic look, I have to take an organic approach! I have a rough outline in my head of what I'm looking for, and try to aquire rock that will fit that, but then I'm like Tom Cruise in Minority Report. It's just instead of those gloves and the sleek glass screens, it's rocks in my hands in front of a glass tank, with this playing in the background:

Back