My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright today is Drill holes in the absurdly expensive sump day!!

If I F*** it up, well...... I'll probably be able to fill the 40b replacement with tears ;Nailbiting

20200921_101648.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you got this ;)

And Ten minutes later, turns out that I do have this ;Smuggrin for those that are curious, standard hole saw bit, Run on slow speed in reverse, stopped roughly every third of the way through to let the acrylic cool down which may or may not have been the right thing to do but it worked lol and a quick sand with 150 grit sandpaper wrapped around a pen, Done!
20200921_104141.jpg

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow ,first time ever heard of reverse drilling,now i gotta try it ;) :cool:

Typically I reccomend using a step bit (Which I don't have one big enough) or a glass bit (Which are out in the garage and it's cold out ;Shifty) So I figured I’d try the reverse on the regular holesaw bit which should act similar to the glass bit and grind the acrylic out. Which it did, only downside to it that I can see is there is a tiny bit of break through on the inside corner, sanded smooth and it's fine:)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job! Why the reverse drill though?

Standard hole saw bits have very sharp teeth and if it happens to catch or "Bite" on the acrylic the wrong way it could split it. Which, while the risk is very low of it happening, I had absolutely no intention of putting myself in that position and risking this sump. Running it in reverse will grind the acrylic out and avoid the teeth catching issue altogether :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
good thinking ;) i have set dedicated to acrylic,ran through 3/4 plywood min 10x..now they get used only for acrylic,always ,do by hand med speed steady pressure ,at 1" go half ,switch ,go other way. always do a few practice ones immedeatley before tackling target,,,now i have to go drill some holes backwards today;):rolleyes::cool:

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good thinking ;) i have set dedicated to acrylic,ran through 3/4 plywood min 10x..now they get used only for acrylic,always ,do by hand med speed steady pressure ,at 1" go half ,switch ,go other way. always do a few practice ones immedeatley before tackling target,,,now i have to go drill some holes backwards today;):rolleyes::cool:

Great alternative as well, however for me my acrylic drilling needs are much lower, in fact, I just fulfilled those needs lol so to spend hundreds of dollars on dedicated bits just doesn't fit the bill. This was an easy way to use the hundreds of dollars in bits I already own :) Plus it had the added benefit of me not having to go outside ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Ten minutes later, turns out that I do have this ;Smuggrin for those that are curious, standard hole saw bit, Run on slow speed in reverse, stopped roughly every third of the way through to let the acrylic cool down which may or may not have been the right thing to do but it worked lol and a quick sand with 150 grit sandpaper wrapped around a pen, Done!
20200921_104141.jpg
No tears? ;)

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll save them for when I turn on my MRC 6100 and blow my 1" plumbing apart ;)
Make sure you are recording video 3rd person when you throw the switch!

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are making some good progress. Everything is well thought out and organized nicely. That is one of the biggest mistakes people make when they go to do plumbing, they don't take the time to plan things out first so the first line they run ends up being in the where the last one needs to go.

What plumbing parts are you going to be waiting on? Can't wait to see this up and running.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you are making some good progress. Everything is well thought out and organized nicely. That is one of the biggest mistakes people make when they go to do plumbing, they don't take the time to plan things out first so the first line they run ends up being in the where the last one needs to go.

What plumbing parts are you going to be waiting on? Can't wait to see this up and running.

For me this philosophy can be applied to just about every aspect of a new build, plan plan plan plan and when you think you have planned enough, plan some more. I agree 100% and then the first thing to remember is, even after all that planning, something is still bound to come up. It's just the nature of the beast. I certainly didn't expect some of my 90° fittings to shrink when I added cleaner in them making them total garbage, however I did plan ahead and bought extras incase SOMETHING happened.

And currently, not waiting on anything now, some of the parts I needed showed up and the others I'm holding off on ordering until I know for sure what I need. However, this will be running tomorrow. As a herbie drain setup for now and when the rest of the parts come in I'll get my emergency drain online and we will be firing on all cylinders ;Smuggrin

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me this philosophy can be applied to just about every aspect of a new build, plan plan plan plan and when you think you have planned enough, plan some more. I agree 100% and then the first thing to remember is, even after all that planning, something is still bound to come up. It's just the nature of the beast. I certainly didn't expect some of my 90° fittings to shrink when I added cleaner in them making them total garbage, however I did plan ahead and bought extras incase SOMETHING happened.
Say what? What kind of cleaner did you use that shrunk pvc fittings??

Back