My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the perfect sand sifter for ya,the black banded eel,i had one for years, soo cool,docile,wiggles/sleeps though sand all day,pokes nose out for food gentile slow moving ,in and out of sand all night,kept mine in open top 75 about 3 yrs grew from 18"-24",only big around as a penny,i tagged you to a thread here ,from google:rolleyes:;):cool:

I'd be concerned about it going after some of the smaller docile fish I'd like to keep namely the two mandarins I want. Beautiful eel though! Not sure if my aquarium is large enough for one either if they max out at 36"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in attempting to gather all my fish related items that were strewn around the basement I've made a mess of the fishroom for now. Tons of work ahead still but atleast now I can see what kind of storage I have now and need to build in or adjust for future needs.

20201010_194609.jpg
20201010_194639.jpg
20201010_174645.jpg

Not much going on in the reef, hungry Acans as usual, long lost snails roaming the sand dunes.

20201010_201130.jpg
20201010_205103.jpg
20201010_205122.jpg
20201010_200929.jpg

20201010_200911.jpg

20201010_201152.jpg

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, in attempting to gather all my fish related items that were strewn around the basement I've made a mess of the fishroom for now. Tons of work ahead still but atleast now I can see what kind of storage I have now and need to build in or adjust for future needs.

20201010_194609.jpg
20201010_194639.jpg
20201010_174645.jpg

Not much going on in the reef, hungry Acans as usual, long lost snails roaming the sand dunes.

20201010_201130.jpg
20201010_205103.jpg
20201010_205122.jpg
20201010_200929.jpg

20201010_200911.jpg

20201010_201152.jpg

It is amazing that no matter how big our fish rooms are, they end up running out of space beforethe tank is even fully set up.

Tank and inhabitants are looking really good.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is amazing that no matter how big our fish rooms are, they end up running out of space beforethe tank is even fully set up.

Tank and inhabitants are looking really good.

You know there is a lot of truth to that and it applies to all other aspects of owning space in a home. Right now it's just the wife and me in a 1600 sqft home plus the basement and it is FULL of $#!t !

A lot of the stuff in the fishroom right now is plumbing parts. Once it's all set up I'll find someone who needs them and give them what's left which should free up a bunch of space. I've got the 3 QT tanks to setup which, while I didn't QT my first additions, I will be doing so for most of the rest and at the very least I'll have them ready if something comes up.

Thank you, now things are starting to get cleaned up and organized things are definitely looking much better. Everyone in the tank seems to be happy so far which I'm thankful for :)

where ya' been?? takin weekend off ;) good for you!better do now before baby arrives:p;Woot;Woot;Woot:cool:

Working all weekend! Between work, cleaning the house and wrapping up projects all over the place I haven't had much time for tank stuff unfortunately :confused:

In other news, I made the mistake of showing my wife the new ATI Stratons and she has made the decision that those will be the lights for the tank. I’ve since been instructed to cancel my Orphek order which was a little frustrating. And now I need to save my pennies for two of those bad boys. Not something I really wanted to do as it's now going to cost $3800 to light the tank instead of $550;Shifty. The One time I wanted to save a little bit of money and go with the cheaper option and she wants the most expensive one out there.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know there is a lot of truth to that and it applies to all other aspects of owning space in a home. Right now it's just the wife and me in a 1600 sqft home plus the basement and it is FULL of $#!t !

A lot of the stuff in the fishroom right now is plumbing parts. Once it's all set up I'll find someone who needs them and give them what's left which should free up a bunch of space. I've got the 3 QT tanks to setup which, while I didn't QT my first additions, I will be doing so for most of the rest and at the very least I'll have them ready if something comes up.

Thank you, now things are starting to get cleaned up and organized things are definitelylooking much better. Everyone in the tank seems to be happy so far which I'm thankful for :)

Working all weekend! Between work, cleaning the house and wrapping up projects all over the place I haven't had much time for tank stuff unfortunately :confused:

In other news, I made the mistake of showing my wife the new ATI Stratons and she has made the decision that those will be the lights for the tank. I’ve since been instructed to cancel my Orphek order which was a little frustrating. And now I need to save my pennies for two of those bad boys. Not something I really wanted to do as it's now going to cost $3200 to light the tank instead of $550;Shifty. The One time I wanted to save a little bit of money and go with the cheaper option and she wants the most expensive one out there.
hey,she is a keeper ;) baby is due,january??:)

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you, now things are starting to get cleaned up and organized things are definitely looking much better. Everyone in the tank seems to be happy so far which I'm thankful for :)

In other news, I made the mistake of showing my wife the new ATI Stratons and she has made the decision that those will be the lights for the tank. I’ve since been instructed to cancel my Orphek order which was a little frustrating. And now I need to save my pennies for two of those bad boys. Not something I really wanted to do as it's now going to cost $3800 to light the tank instead of $550;Shifty. The One time I wanted to save a little bit of money and go with the cheaper option and she wants the most expensive one out there.
Wait, your complaining your wife WANTS the more expensive, better lights ?!? Lol I’ve been trying to find used lights to keep mine happy!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey,she is a keeper ;) baby is due,january??:)

That's right, baby is due in January so I'm running out of time!

Wait, your complaining your wife WANTS the more expensive, better lights ?!? Lol I’ve been trying to find used lights to keep mine happy!

Lol!!! Why yes, yes I am complaining. It's Moreso because right now with the baby coming we just don't have the 4k to drop on some aquarium lights. It is rather against my character to not want the newest, most expensive toy. And it's very against my wife's character to want the newest, most expensive toy on the market, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Aquarium stuff.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... and she ended up with you! ;)

Well they say opposites attract, she's pretty darn smart though, so what does that make me? :oops: :confused:

Pregnancy makes us do irrational things. You better hurry up and buy those lights before she changes her mind or else hold off for a while in case she does ;Hilarious

Lol! I might hold off a bit, yesterday she dropped her cell phone then started laughing endlessly which turned into crying for whatever reason. I don't think her rational brain is working in full gear right now so I'll let the lights thing marinate for a little while.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sensing some dislike for Engineer gobies??

That would be @Elder1945 of Adaptive Reef here in Canada :)

I went searching for that same info.

That is an incredible sump!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

TBH those Orpheks, once FedEx was done with you probably would have cost $3800 too.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went searching for that same info.

That is an incredible sump!

Thank you! It's been up and running for a little while now and I still LOVE it, not one thing that I'd change except maybe make it a little bigger lol even though when running at capacity it's around 45-60 gallons.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH those Orpheks, once FedEx was done with you probably would have cost $3800 too.

With shipping which was covered by Orphek it was going to be around $550... I only ordered two 48" OR3 Day plus LED bars. I was going to run them with 3 AI Primes in the center for now and upgrade the centre lights down the road. My wife however does not like the idea of having a thick canopy to cover the lights. She wants something clean and simple and expensive...

Last edited:

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya know for that price you could get you a very nice set of Reefi's...just a thought ;)

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 144 61.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.1%
Back