My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well atleast it's on the outside of the eurobracing so honestly the only time I see it is when I'm looking down on the aquarium. And now that I have experienced how soft it really is I know how careful I need to be in the future while doing regular cleaning. Otherwise I might have just ignored the one stray spec of sand in my scraper like I do in my Nuvo and it would be a very, very bad experience.

And the sump is being made in Ontario by Adaptive Reef. Lots of work getting things laid out properly and working the sump into future projects as well. I have quite the vision for the fish room that hopefully Kyle can live up to, although I'm sure he won't disappoint.

I'll have to share a few I must've missed that thread unfortunately.

And thanks lol it certainly helps having a background in construction to be able to work through these kinds of problems as they come up. And, probably more important is the fact that I actually had the tools on hand to adjust on the fly so to speak. SO much harder to deal with problems if you don't have a decent tool stash to work from.

So true. I had to wing a lot in my build. 1st time and Learning curves. I even trimmed a bic pen tube to act as a spacer on my skimmer pinwheel assembly shaft. I like the little curve balls though, they test ingenuity and resourcefulness. I see them as challenges :)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with more plumbing on the way I figured I would start playing around with outlet ideas for the closed loop, the outlets with a T will actually be shrunk with a reducing T to 2 3/4" outlets. The ones without the Ts will more than likely have an Omni flex nozzle for easy readjustment If needed. All outlets will be covered in rockwork eventually, still working on a scape plan for now but it's starting to come together for when I order rock in a month. Would like to hear some thoughts on it and any suggestions which I'm sure will be difficult without the rockwork in place

20190902_190539.jpg
20190902_190547.jpg

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with more plumbing on the way I figured I would start playing around with outlet ideas for the closed loop, the outlets with a T will actually be shrunk with a reducing T to 2 3/4" outlets. The ones without the Ts will more than likely have an Omni flex nozzle for easy readjustment If needed. All outlets will be covered in rockwork eventually, still working on a scape plan for now but it's starting to come together for when I order rock in a month. Would like to hear some thoughts on it and any suggestions which I'm sure will be difficult without the rockwork in place

20190902_190539.jpg
20190902_190547.jpg
Looks good, I have had good luck with the caribsea life rock. The purple coating makes the tank look a little better to start off and I feel some of the ugly algae has a harder time adhering to the coated surface. The purple eventually seems to wear away or fade away but by the time that happens the Rick will be covered in real coralline. It is is pricier so for a larger tank may not be economical

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is old but...I wish mine was shallow. Well, only when it comes to maintenance. Beautiful to view PITA to work in!

One of the BIG reasons I went shallow :) Just follow along I'll hopefully make you want a nice long shallow tank in the future:p

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Sorry for the silence here lately. I unfortunately don't really have much of an update tank wise right now. The sump isn't slated to be here until Dec/Jan so everything's kindof on hold until then.

I have made a couple of decisions about my pumps and lighting however. The Closed loop system will be run by Dual Vectra M2s or Sicce SDC 7.0s and I will not be using an Ocean Motions device anymore. Repeated attempts to contact the company have yielded no response and I'm concerned that while I can still order one and they are a great product. If I do have any issues it will be difficult to rectify. Therefor my new plan is to use two DC pumps and use each one to power one outlet on each end of the tank (Two outlets per pump). This setup along with alternating flow patterns from the pumps should create something very close to the Ocean Motion. This also has the benefit of redundancy as if one pump fails or needs to be taken offline for cleaning. The other one can still provide flow for the tank.

As for lighting, I am now set on going with a 250w Metal Halide/LED hybrid setup with Dual custom Orphek LED bars. I am waiting for them to release the Dimmable versions before I order though which has been said to be in the coming months.

Last bit of plumbing will be ordered this week and that's just the pipe itself. All the fittings and valves are here waiting to be used. :D :D

And the best update of all, as @Victoria M posted earlier, I was lucky enough to recieve some of her custom acrylic algae clips for my tank! They are awesome! And I honestly can't wait to be able to put them to use. I have a couple of algae eaters in mind and these will be of great help feeding them:D:D:D so THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH @Victoria M ! ! ! !

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! Sorry for the silence here lately. I unfortunately don't really have much of an update tank wise right now. The sump isn't slated to be here until Dec/Jan so everything's kindof on hold until then.

I have made a couple of decisions about my pumps and lighting however. The Closed loop system will be run by Dual Vectra M2s or Sicce SDC 7.0s and I will not be using an Ocean Motions device anymore. Repeated attempts to contact the company have yielded no response and I'm concerned that while I can still order one and they are a great product. If I do have any issues it will be difficult to rectify. Therefor my new plan is to use two DC pumps and use each one to power one outlet on each end of the tank (Two outlets per pump). This setup along with alternating flow patterns from the pumps should create something very close to the Ocean Motion. This also has the benefit of redundancy as if one pump fails or needs to be taken offline for cleaning. The other one can still provide flow for the tank.

As for lighting, I am now set on going with a 250w Metal Halide/LED hybrid setup with Dual custom Orphek LED bars. I am waiting for them to release the Dimmable versions before I order though which has been said to be in the coming months.

Last bit of plumbing will be ordered this week and that's just the pipe itself. All the fittings and valves are here waiting to be used. :D :D

And the best update of all, as @Victoria M posted earlier, I was lucky enough to recieve some of her custom acrylic algae clips for my tank! They are awesome! And I honestly can't wait to be able to put them to use. I have a couple of algae eaters in mind and these will be of great help feeding them:D:D:D so THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH @Victoria M ! ! ! !
You are welcome Josh, from me and Caveman! :) great update. I like the idea of using two return pumps. I have been kicking the idea around a little bit. Is the purpose of dc pumps just so you can fine tune the flow or do they ramp up and down for changes in flow?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 77 37.9%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back