My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read through your thread. In the planning stages for a very similar sized tank myself. Will probably end up being 60x30x22.

Gotta love a basement sump as well. What are the final dimensions of the sump you are having built?

Following along for sure.

Awesome dimensions on that tank! The sump currently is 46" L x 20" W x 17" high, I might be extending it to 60" but that's still up in the air.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice dimensions on the sump. All your planning and problem solving before getting the tank fully set up will payoff once it is finally running. Thank you for documenting your progress even if it is slow.

Thank you, the wife thinks it might be a little crazy to have a sump almost the same size as the tank. But I really like the thought of expanding a couple compartments in the sump especially the Refugium and frag sections.

And you're welcome, it's great to be able to take the time and think things over, also to write it all out for others to kindof go through my thought processes for others to see and add input.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, the wife thinks it might be a little crazy to have a sump almost the same size as the tank. But I really like the thought of expanding a couple compartments in the sump especially the Refugium and frag sections.

And you're welcome, it's great to be able to take the time and think things over, also to write it all out for others to kindof go through my thought processes for others to see and add input.

My last tank was a 150 display with a old 135 gal tank that I put baffles in and used for my basement sump. Can't have too big of a sump IMO. Go for it.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only thought about yours because mine was in a pic today

Yours is hardly noticeable though :)

I think what makes the scratch so frustrating isn't that it's there, it's how easily it occurred. It's really made me nervous about cleaning the tank overall. I'm sure things will be fine though, just something rambling on in the back of my mind

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yours is hardly noticeable though :)

I think what makes the scratch so frustrating isn't that it's there, it's how easily it occurred. It's really made me nervous about cleaning the tank overall. I'm sure things will be fine though, just something rambling on in the back of my mind
Just wait until you fill it with coral! You'll never see it.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knock knock.

Who's there?

Picture?

Picture who?

Picture me beating down ur door for pictures.

Pictures of doodles? I wanna pick ur brain on the adjustments ur making in the plan! Love hearing new concepts etc.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan to run the closed loop? How did you chose which one is intake vs output?

So there is one intake and 4 outlets, the tank was drilled with this in mind. In hindsight I probably should have gone bigger on the intake but I was originally planning on just one pump running the loop. I still feel the 1 1/2" won't be too bad as the two pumps running it won't be run at 100% all the time. The closed loop will now be run by dual DC controllable pumps. Each pump will have two 1" outlets (one at each end of the tank) plumbed with 2 3/4" locline nozzles, maybe some RFGs as well. They will be fed off of one 1 1/2" intake that is in the center of the tank. :)

Knock knock.

Who's there?

Picture?

Picture who?

Picture me beating down ur door for pictures.

Pictures of doodles? I wanna pick ur brain on the adjustments ur making in the plan! Love hearing new concepts etc.

lol!!!! Love you're enthusiasm Rich feel free to ask any questions you want. I'm going to sleep now so I won't answer them till tomorrow. I'll leave you with this though...

Screenshot_20191022-230826_Gallery.jpg

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont follow for nothin ;)

It had been 10 days, usually around that point i start knocking on BT doors and honking the horn in the driveway. ;Troll

I did it on govols' BT yesterday too. :)

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see.. this is why I need to keep watching your thread! I haven’t watched what elder45 has been doing for awhile.. back when I watched some of his videos I never imagined he would be doing stuff like this..
By that I mean making slick electronic stands available to hobbiest and from what it sounds like at a good price

Phildago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So there is one intake and 4 outlets, the tank was drilled with this in mind. In hindsight I probably should have gone bigger on the intake but I was originally planning on just one pump running the loop. I still feel the 1 1/2" won't be too bad as the two pumps running it won't be run at 100% all the time. The closed loop will now be run by dual DC controllable pumps. Each pump will have two 1" outlets (one at each end of the tank) plumbed with 2 3/4" locline nozzles, maybe some RFGs as well. They will be fed off of one 1 1/2" intake that is in the center of the tank. :)

Screenshot_20191022-230826_Gallery.jpg
Rfg is great, but if not for sure go with a flow eductor. I usually 3d print my own, but most rfgs are just elaborated eductors

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont follow for nothin ;)

It had been 10 days, usually around that point i start knocking on BT doors and honking the horn in the driveway. ;Troll

I did it on govols' BT yesterday too. :)

I have no idea how your reef is thriving with impatience like that! But it is nice having someone pop in and say hi once in a while to keep me on my toes.

see.. this is why I need to keep watching your thread! I haven’t watched what elder45 has been doing for awhile.. back when I watched some of his videos I never imagined he would be doing stuff like this..
By that I mean making slick electronic stands available to hobbiest and from what it sounds like at a good price

This is honestly the first picture I've posted on here about it, kindof wanted to keep it a bit of a secret but things are just about finalized after tweaking the plan just a tad so I figured why not throw a little something for @RichtheReefer21 to chew on for now.

What is that a drawing of?? I'm liking it A LOT.

That's a rendering of the sump being built for me, hasn't started yet but hopefully soon for a January delivery. :)

Rfg is great, but if not for sure go with a flow eductor. I usually 3d print my own, but most rfgs are just elaborated eductors

Awesome, thanks for the info:) the RFGs are a little up in the air moreso as to how many I'll actually have, I'm thinking probably 2-3. I wish I had a 3D printer, all the cool things you can do with one is pretty neat.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have no idea how your reef is thriving with impatience like that! But it is nice having someone pop in and say hi once in a while to keep me on my toes.

This is honestly the first picture I've posted on here about it, kindof wanted to keep it a bit of a secret but things are just about finalized after tweaking the plan just a tad so I figured why not throw a little something for @RichtheReefer21 to chew on for now.

That's a rendering of the sump being built for me, hasn't started yet but hopefully soon for a January delivery. :)

Awesome, thanks for the info:) the RFGs are a little up in the air moreso as to how many I'll actually have, I'm thinking probably 2-3. I wish I had a 3D printer, all the cool things you can do with one is pretty neat.
@dantimdad does

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back