My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol thanks! I was creeping your thread yesterday but have yet to leave a comment there, your wife is a champ btw!
Thanks! She's a keeper for sure! Set up the new lights, apex, skimmer, powerheads, does my testing and dosing. I bought an auto feeder and she said she prefers to feed them by hand.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! She's a keeper for sure! Set up the new lights, apex, skimmer, powerheads, does my testing and dosing. I bought an auto feeder and she said she prefers to feed them by hand.

That's pretty awesome! I know that if the need arises my wife could probably do most of that but I know she would never setup equipment (Not because shes not capable of doing it, she'd just be too terrified of messing something up). But I'm also designing my system with her in mind so it's really easy to solve a problem or do any maintenance in general if needed.

The great thing about taking your time (And I've mentioned this before) is you can really sit down and do your research on just about everything and design a really flexible system around that research.

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's pretty awesome! I know that if the need arises my wife could probably do most of that but I know she would never setup equipment (Not because shes not capable of doing it, she'd just be too terrified of messing something up). But I'm also designing my system with her in mind so it's really easy to solve a problem or do any maintenance in general if needed.
Understand completely, I decided to all my upgrades to make things easier for her when I'm gone next time.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understand completely, I decided to all my upgrades to make things easier for her when I'm gone next time.

Smart man, I've had to think of a lot of things outside the box so to speak given the design of the system to make things easy.

Great build! My dream build someday for sure. Cant wait to see it wet.

Thank you!! I can't wait either, aiming for probably a march deadline for getting it wet, tomorrow I'll be starting on the fish room.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I go away for a while, come back and you're still dry. Sheeeesh... I'm starting to wonder if you actually own the tank you claim you own. :D
You're not allowed to comment such blasphemy until u get some wet salty knees urself. I'll send u a 55g that's in the basement and a bucket to get u started.

:p

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not allowed to comment such blasphemy until u get some wet salty knees urself. I'll send u a 55g that's in the basement and a bucket to get u started.

:p

LOL! I agree!

Well started some work on the fish room pulled some of the old insulation out, laid everything out in my head wiring wise and started running some as well. Tossed some insulation in but am holding off on finishing up until I can get an electrician in to run dual 15 A circuits to the room, move a dryer plug and inspect everything to make sure it's all up to code so I can close it all up with plywood and drywall. It took me a while to decide on the amperage for each circuit but I think dual 15s will be just fine, one will run the return pump, heaters and skimmer. The other will run the controller and QT setups. The walls and ceilings themselves will be a layer of 3/8" OSB covered with 1/4" Drywall so I can mount things pretty much anywhere I want in the room.

20191215_152855.jpg

20191215_152906.jpg

In the second picture you can see where the control panel for everything will be (the third spacing over from the corner). This will have all the power bars, controller, dosers, etc. In it.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting excited! What’s this about taking a break from R2R?

Just going to be busy for the next few weeks so I may or may not be on a whole lot. Just easier to throw that out there incase anyone was trying to get ahold of me and I wasn't answering. :)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of ever doing awc? Or anything else using RO tubing? If so, run conduit for it in the wall while it's open.

I was planning on running the RO tubing itself outside of the walls orginally, figure the less plumbing behind the walls the better. But that might change now that you mentioned it lol I'm still undecided on where the water tanks will go for the WC system, originally they were going under the sump BUT I'm not a big fan of the height that the sump would be at to get the tanks I want under it.

Looks like you have thought out the fishroom and have a good plan. At least you are making some progress towards getting the tank wet.

The plans have changed a couple times today for the fish room but aside from the water storage tanks I think I'm completely set on the layout now. And theres a little bit of traction going now, I'll see if I can keep some momentum up in the next few weeks :)

My did this for his coffee maker ;Hilarious

Actually not a bad idea! And thanks! I hope it will be worth the wait!:D

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on running the RO tubing itself outside of the walls orginally, figure the less plumbing behind the walls the better. But that might change now that you mentioned it lol I'm still undecided on where the water tanks will go for the WC system, originally they were going under the sump BUT I'm not a big fan of the height that the sump would be at to get the tanks I want under it.

The plans have changed a couple times today for the fish room but aside from the water storage tanks I think I'm completely set on the layout now. And theres a little bit of traction going now, I'll see if I can keep some momentum up in the next few weeks :)

Actually not a bad idea! And thanks! I hope it will be worth the wait!:D
That copper band will look so good in there! :p

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not a major update but it looks like Santa made my Closed loop pump choice that much easier...
20191225_111135.jpg

I have now ordered a second one to match and I might just plumb them in when it shows up ;)

My Secret Santa also spoiled me rotten with 200 pounds of Fiji Pink sand which is AMAZING!!!!! It should be enough to get me the 2ish inches of sand I want on the bottom which checks another huge item off my list!!

20191224_120715.jpg

20191224_121632.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back