My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s so impressive to see threads with this much DIY, I would be scared of making a mistake and flooding my house...I plumbed a sink once, it was a nightmare! Can’t wait to see this grow some coral!!

Merry Christmas good sir!!

Plumbing can be so much fun and I loved building the stand as well. I find once you do things a few times and get a handle on them it is A LOT easier to do.

If you ever want to dig into plumbing just get a few extra fittings and pipe and go to town, plumb up something totally random to get a hang of it and then start working on your project.

Merry Christmas to you as well!!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wishing you and your family nothing but good health and happiness in 2020!

Best-Happy-New-Year-2020-Gif-For-Whatsapp-Instagram.gif

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins! (This will be a slow and steady build) After moving into our first home a month ago and selling our cargo trailer I have been given the green light to order my dream tank and get rolling on putting together a system that I will be happy with for many years to come.

The house we purchased has a living room, family room and a teeny tiny dining 'nook' off the living room. I'm currently in the midst of redoing the family room into the new dining room and the nook will become my tank area (Pictured Below)

The tank itself will be built by Miracles Aquariums, a 60" × 24" × 16.5" peninsula style with external overflow plumbed to the basement fish room below (Yes I got lucky enough there is a room in the basement just to the right of where the tank will be that has no purpose, so the fiancé suggested it become a fish room, gotta love her:)).

Right now my two clowns are hanging out in a Nuvo 10 after the move as I didn't want to set up the RSM C130 once I found out I could get the new tank. Hopefully they can hold out a few more months without going insane.

Equipment list for now consists of...

Tank: Miracles Custom Peninsula
Stand: DIY dual layer Plywood
Sump: Custom Lifereef for now, upgrading down the road
Lighting: 48" Aquatic Life T5 fixture with Kessil A160s
Skimmer: Lifereef SVS2-24
Heaters: Dual Neotherms (unknown size as of now)
Controller: GHL Profilux 4 Ultimate Set with touch pad.
Return: Undecided, leaning towards Sicce Syncra SDC 9.0

Just wanted to get the thread started now and I'll be adding pictures and info as I go along:D

And a really horrible screen drawing of the eventual position of the tank

Looks great

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea buddaaaay!

You know the more I stare at that pic the more I go.... Man that thing is HUGE!!! I've only ever had small sump spaces to work in and around and I was never a fan of it. So I think I may have over corrected on this one a bit too far lol

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know the more I stare at that pic the more I go.... Man that thing is HUGE!!! I've only ever had small sump spaces to work in and around and I was never a fan of it. So I think I may have over corrected on this one a bit too far lol

Nice build so far!

You can never have too big of a sump, trust me! I had a 48x30 under a 54x30 tank and now I've got a 60x24 sump with a 28x24x24 dedicated fuge next to it under my 310. I have a completely empty section of my sump, but it's perfect for temp acclimating coral/fish, or a small section to house a fish I need to keep an eye on for any reason. you'll love every bit of space you can get!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And so it begins!

Resized_20200109_154302.jpeg

Finally a router bit to Acrylic and things are starting to come together!

I saw this last night, liked it but forgot to comment. Knowing what your plan is for this, I'm totally pumped! I am sure you could hardly contain yourself.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice build so far!

You can never have too big of a sump, trust me! I had a 48x30 under a 54x30 tank and now I've got a 60x24 sump with a 28x24x24 dedicated fuge next to it under my 310. I have a completely empty section of my sump, but it's perfect for temp acclimating coral/fish, or a small section to house a fish I need to keep an eye on for any reason. you'll love every bit of space you can get!

That's certainly how I felt when I first put pen to paper going with the 42" x 20"... and then I bumped it up to 52" and now I look at it a bit and pause with the thought in my head that I've gone insane ;Bored The Fuge section on this thing is bigger than my biggest DT I've ever had.

I saw this last night, liked it but forgot to comment. Knowing what your plan is for this, I'm totally pumped! I am sure you could hardly contain yourself.

It is certainly incredibly hard to contain myself. It's been MANY months in the making to get to this point. Lots of ideas being passed back and forth over every tiny little detail. Me changing my mind a billion times and so on. Even as I see it being cut out I'm thinking "Did we measure this right? Or account for this?" A screw up on my part would be a costly mistake. And unfortunately I won't know if things are perfect until I actually receive it. Same feeling I had when ordering the tank as well.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And unfortunately I won't know if things are perfect until I actually receive it. Same feeling I had when ordering the tank as well.

If your experience has taught you anything, it's that the tank order turned out marvelous and you needn't be worried. If it's any consolation, I'm not worried at all!

In other news; that Farm Boy, Ryan @FARMBOYREEF , ended up getting one of those regulators.

FARMBOYREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your experience has taught you anything, it's that the tank order turned out marvelous and you needn't be worried. If it's any consolation, I'm not worried at all!

In other news; that Farm Boy, Ryan @FARMBOYREEF , ended up getting one of those regulators.
Hey buddy should be in today i hope.

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant ever go too big on a sump.
#noregrets

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You bring up a very good point for once ;) I'm glad someone picked up one of those bad boys !! I did let you know why it just wasn't in the cards right now unfortunately...

Cant ever go too big on a sump.
#noregrets

That seems to be the resounding opinion which does make me feel good about my decision to go bigger than I originally planned:D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back