My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you thought of everything when planning the sump out. That work of are is almost too nice to put filter socks/fuge/anything else that will detract from its beauty in. But it would be a shame to not use it for what it was designed for.

The idea to use the lights in the sump to let you know the state of the tank is genius. You have to do it.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems you thought of everything when planning the sump out. That work of are is almost too nice to put filter socks/fuge/anything else that will detract from its beauty in. But it would be a shame to not use it for what it was designed for.

The idea to use the lights in the sump to let you know the state of the tank is genius. You have to do it.
Totally agree!!

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I went and picked up the sump on Thursday, but didn't get a chance to take it out of the crate and have a good look at it. So finally after getting home late lastnight this morning we unpacked it from the crate to play around and check it out. First impression was wow this thing is HUGE and secondly I LOVE IT!!! So much space to work around and lots of room for everything I need to put in it. Thirdly this thing is built like a tank. 3/8" Acrylic on all walls, top and bottom, all joints are daddoed in for a triple sided bond. Everything looks immaculate and is VERY well assembled.

It was such a fun build working with @Elder1945 at Adaptive Reef and I look forward to working with Kyle again on a few more projects down the road.

20200321_140035.jpg

20200321_141802.jpg

20200321_191823.jpg

20200321_191843.jpg

20200321_191900.jpg

Filter sock chamber that can be switched out with a filter floss basket...
20200321_191922.jpg

Skimmer chamber with outlet for reactor pump....

20200321_191928.jpg

Reactor and return section in the back center, up front will be my frag tank/grow out section, something I needed to incorporate into the sump as I don't have the extra room elsewhere to do so. My plan is to cover the entire bottom with 1" Marine pure plates and place frag rocks over them.

20200321_191944.jpg

And last but not least, my Fuge section...

20200321_191956.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to start plumbing my Closed loop and hopefully leak test sometime in the coming days. :)
Sweet baby jesus that thing is AMAZEBAWLS!

GORGEOUS!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a work of art, so happy for you. :)

Thank you @najer, now to get to work on the tank, hopefully one day it can be half as beautiful and full of life as any of your tanks. :)

You Sir, are a genius!

I wouldn't go that far lol

You already are aware of my thoughts about your new sump. However, I'll breifly state them again; a simply stunning piece of art that is worth every penny! Congrats on taking delivery after mods and a long wait.

Thank you very much Chris, it was quite the lengthy process (Definitely my fault) but I agree, totally worth it in the end :D

I spent many hours planning the layout and even more working with Kyle to ensure it will all work the way it's intended to. I hope as this build does progress it can show what a bunch of patience and a ton of planning can accomplish in the long run. And for those starting out on new builds and just excited to get them going hopefully they can pause just long enough to come up with an idea to make there lives just a bit easier.

I'm definitely excited to see it full of water and doing its thing which is what I got it to do, and hopefully when things are ticking along all the algae and nasties only adds to the beauty of it :)

And I just might go that route with the lights, it would be a neat little feature to have.

Sweet baby jesus that thing is AMAZEBAWLS!

GORGEOUS!

Thanks Rich! I love the description! Lol! I'll be honest it's been a little while since I last stopped by your neck of the woods. I'll be haunting your thread shortly!

That sump alone gets you a follow.

Lol! Well I'm glad to have you around !!! I'm going to have to pick up the pace here a bit I think.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Challenge accepted! 4-8 week lead time :cool:

Hummm, now I have something to go off of!

Well done @JoshH and @Elder1945
That’s a thing of beauty!

Thank you @Scurvy! I'll be honest I drew a little inspiration from you. I'll certainly be looking to you for a little more stocking advice in the future as well :)

WOW!!! Unbelievable. I love this! Most excellent work @JoshH and @Elder1945!!!!

Thanks Joe! I'll be honest, it was all Kyle doing the leg work here. I just went to him with a ton of drawings and a rather insane mind set, after many talks, changes and even a redo or two, here we are:D:D

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap! I didn't know about the lights. Looks like Jeff did you a custom skimmer to match too. Very nice. I am way behind the curve with my old simple sump. :p

Hey Fin! Thanks! The lights in the back of the sump were a last minute addition Kyle was oh so thrilled about:rolleyes: :p And the skimmer and reactors I've actually had long before this build. They are from my old RSM C130 and the colour scheme for the sump is tied into them, had to do it as I needed everything to match lol But I do love my blue so I was happy to do so!

And hey, at the end of the day, as long as your sump does what you need it to do, that's all that matters. I'm still in envy of your plumbing skills, everything so neat and clean, I'll probably be picking your brain on a couple things in the coming months!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing, work of art right there. I'm assuming you're not putting this in a cabinet. Looking forward to reading youre whole build thread. What light will you be using for the frag/grow out section?

Thank you! You would assume correct, I have a fish room being built in the basement where this monster will live. Read away, atleast thus far it's been relatively short so it should be easy to catch up on :) Currently I have a Pair of AI primes, i might use one for the Coral QT and the other for the frag section. However, given my plan is to use MH's on the main display I might rethink things a touch there or go with a more powerful version like the 32.

Last edited:
Back