My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And coat #2 is done and sump is now in place in it's final spot, next stop, plumbing!
20200916_162714.jpg
20200916_163524.jpg
20200916_163559.jpg

Erin O

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And coat #2 is done and sump is now in place in it's final spot, next stop, plumbing!
20200916_162714.jpg
20200916_163524.jpg
20200916_163559.jpg
I can't "LOVE" this enough! Amazing! I'm so jealous. I show your sump to whoever I can, whether they care about SW or not (most of them don't, the weirdos :rolleyes:). Goals, I'm telling you!!! Lol

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't "LOVE" this enough! Amazing! I'm so jealous. I show your sump to whoever I can, whether they care about SW or not (most of them don't, the weirdos :rolleyes:). Goals, I'm telling you!!! Lol

LOL! Thanks @Erin O ! I do absolutely LOVE how things have turned out with it. And now that it's permanently in place I'm even happier. Don't show it to too many people, they might think we are all crazy!:p

Plumbing will be a bit of a challenge as after sitting back and looking at it I realized that some of the inlets to the sump line up perfectly....... .........with the electrical outlets ;Facepalm. So I'll have to work around that issue when the time comes. I had to order even more plumbing for the return and intake for the pump so waiting for those things to show up but I can get to work on all the drain lines in the mean time

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DUDE!!!! That sump is A MAZE ING!!!!! Wow

I need to do better.

LOL! Thank you!! I don't know that you want to do better, any sump will do the job and even a stock white sump with Blue baffles like the Fiji Cube line are absolutely stunning !! Yeah, I'm a blue fan:p

Reef370

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL! Thank you!! I don't know that you want to do better, any sump will do the job and even a stock white sump with Blue baffles like the Fiji Cube line are absolutely stunning !! Yeah, I'm a blue fan:p
Dude your whole setup is awesome!! I want to put a tank together with similar dimensions.. and put it on a short stand so I can enjoy the top down view. I think nothing beats the top down view.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude your whole setup is awesome!! I want to put a tank together with similar dimensions.. and put it on a short stand so I can enjoy the top down view. I think nothing beats the top down view.

Well thank you again, top down is an excellent view for sure! and that's part of the reason I went with the height I did. It's decent for top down views but it also places the shelf at eye level when I'm sitting in the chairs or on the couch. It's not often mentioned when looking into a tank build but tank placement, height and aquascape are all crucial components and they all play hand in hand with one another. Definitely something I suggest new reefers or those considering custom tanks to take a seriously hard look at before you even order the tank.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's an awesome build! Closed loops are definitely not just flow of the past now it seems. :) It's SOOOOOO hard to follow everyone's threads now a days I don't think I can add anymore to the list. Poor @RichtheReefer21 has to settle for my emojis and I haven't checked out @Scratch08's thread in a couple weeks... hard core thread slacking right now ;Sorry

They will definitely make me smile, and it's like having a piece of you guys in the build which is always fun. Although I think @sfin52 will need to make a few more drawings ;Smuggrin

Yeah....... no. ;Facepalm

Man this flex seal stuff is.... well, different lol! Smells awful, difficult to apply, destroys every brush and roller it touches.

One coat down, I think Ill do one more on the top and wall part behind the sump then start setting everything up. Oh and BTW for anyone looking at using flex seal, whatever you think you need, quadruple it. What you see right there is half a gallon, granted I could have probably gone slightly thinner but not much.

20200914_154024.jpg
I honestly legit worry about evaporation near the tank on the walls and ceiling for my pending setup. I like your proactive approach in addressing this. I guess if I see signs I've thought about a contingency plan, but I'm gonna hope it's not needed for now.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a little prep work today, missing one more thing before I can flex seal it but I'm making sure All the prep work is complete before that thing shows up in the mail. Added my trough piece ontop of the sump stand, there will be a drain at the end of the table incase of any pump leaks or if I spill something I can just rinse it down the drain.

20200907_161309.jpg
Top notch work Josh +1

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly legit worry about evaporation near the tank on the walls and ceiling for my pending setup. I like your proactive approach in addressing this. I guess if I see signs I've thought about a contingency plan, but I'm gonna hope it's not needed for now.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ceiling but the wall is absolutely a concern, a lid for the overflow will help a bunch but there's always that worry. You could frame the Aquarium out on the wall and put a couple coats of a really durable paint behind it then just wipe the salt creep right off ;Smuggrin

Jesus man, I'm not even gonna talk about what just happened in my pants.

giphy.gif

;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious......

.......;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious
Top notch work Josh +1

Thank you!!! It's been a long road but it's getting there.

At first I thought that was your dyi saw horse lol

lol!!!!! I actually need a couple saw horses, would have been real handy a few times on this build;Shifty

Lol when I'm ready to grow mine I'll hit you up for tips!

It's actually almost all gone now, I have been dosing microbacter clean and it's eaten it all up:D

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking really good man. Your attention to detail is going to pay off big time.

mom the other hand, it’s that attention to detail that keeps slowing this build down. D*** the torpedos, full steam ahead. After all, that clock you are trying to beat doesn’t slow down. Trust me..

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
doing a bit of late night plumbing eh ;)

Just got home from work so I figured I'd poke the bear somewhere ;Smuggrin

Looking really good man. Your attention to detail is going to pay off big time.

mom the other hand, it’s that attention to detail that keeps slowing this build down. D*** the torpedos, full steam ahead. After all, that clock you are trying to beat doesn’t slow down. Trust me..

Thanks! Things are moving slowly but surely I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to order my first fish, especially when the wife pointed one out that she really wants. That has NEVER happened before so I'm chomping at the bit right now lol

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from work so I figured I'd poke the bear somewhere ;Smuggrin

Thanks! Things are moving slowly but surely I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to order my first fish, especially when the wife pointed one out that she really wants. That has NEVER happened before so I'm chomping at the bit right now lol
Enjoy the quarantine/observation process! Get the fish!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back