My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
;) :p
giphy.gif

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"head shakin emoji"..lol ;)

Yeah.... you're not allowed to be doing that :rolleyes:
Beautiful clowns! I realllly like the triple dot!

Thank you!! They look really good and are happy and healthy so far and that's the most important thing! The triple dot I was actually surprised my wife like so much because she's not a fan of the "Naked" clown and these aren't far off.

We get fed up with practicing patience on our own tanks. Don’t have any left for yours.:p ;Hilarious

Besides, if we weren’t impatient we all know you would still be looking at a pile of plumbing parts.

In all seriousness, you are making some good progress. Glad to see it coming together for you. I am sure it feels really good to be Getting stuff done.

It feels FANTASTIC having fish again. It's been FAR too long and getting things done definitely feels good too. Now comes the hard part of slowly adding livestock. Candy Corals had a sale on Purple tangs last week I had to avoid looking at, $80 CAD is a darn hard deal to pass up! But I have a stocking list of more docile fish I need to add before I go adding something like that ;Shifty

This, I can't wait to see the closed loop running. :)
I second this!!!

Well it's been running for months now ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious Still need to update the second Vectra and will get to that once I clean up the mess everywhere so my wife doesn't kill me. Really like how it's running so far, definitely going to have to do a bit of tweeking to get it the way I want it for coral but it's doing it's job right now.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They shipped in plastic containers?

Yeah, I've never ordered fish online before so wasn't sure what the normal packaging route was. Each quart sized plastic container was sealed then had shrink seal around the lid to prevent it from moving. Inside a Uline styrofoam shipping box with packing peanuts and heat pack.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it turns out after all that, I was short water ;Shifty :rolleyes: Sump is filled for the the most part but will take even more when the fuge is set up, tank is filled JUST to the point of overflowing and that's where I fell short. Water has been made, hopefully I don't need more than 15 Gallons for now, the sump ate roughly 40 so far and will probably take another 10 when the fuge is set up. This will place the system roughly around 180ish Gallons when up and running:oops: I'll leave you all with this for now, hopefully you're happy with that ;Smuggrin;Hilarious

20200923_202611.jpg

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And it turns out after all that, I was short water ;Shifty :rolleyes: Sump is filled for the the most part but will take even more when the fuge is set up, tank is filled JUST to the point of overflowing and that's where I fell short. Water has been made, hopefully I don't need more than 15 Gallons for now, the sump ate roughly 40 so far and will probably take another 10 when the fuge is set up. This will place the system roughly around 180ish Gallons when up and running:oops: I'll leave you all with this for now, hopefully you're happy with that ;Smuggrin;Hilarious

20200923_202611.jpg
Almost there!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost there!

Saltwater flowing, bulkheads no longer leaking, I gotta say, it feels REALLY good right now.
20200924_163930.jpg
20200924_125946.jpg
20200924_125857.jpg
20200924_125843.jpg

Just about to place my order for the rest of the plumbing for the reactors as well as a few odds and ends like some silicone tubing and mat for this outlandishly loud pump mostly from the vibrations. Which you can feel through the floor above the sump because the plumbing is screwed into the ceiling. Shouldn't be too hard of a fix though.

The overflow is 100% silent which I was relieved to find out, not even a trickle :D :D

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater flowing, bulkheads no longer leaking, I gotta say, it feels REALLY good right now. :D :D
Awesome, it totally does.

I was so stressed the first couple days after the first fill up on my 180. I was convinced it would flood the house and the adventure would be all over... But, after we made it through a couple nights without issue, it was great to have it running after all the months of planning.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltwater flowing, bulkheads no longer leaking, I gotta say, it feels REALLY good right now.
20200924_163930.jpg
20200924_125946.jpg
20200924_125857.jpg
20200924_125843.jpg

Just about to place my order for the rest of the plumbing for the reactors as well as a few odds and ends like some silicone tubing and mat for this outlandishly loud pump mostly from the vibrations. Which you can feel through the floor above the sump because the plumbing is screwed into the ceiling. Shouldn't be too hard of a fix though.

The overflow is 100% silent which I was relieved to find out, not even a trickle :D :D
Well its about dam time ;Woot

Looks good brother ;Wideyed

Have fun with that vibration...my pump is sitting on 1/2" thick yoga mat, plus the silicone fittings between it and the pvc...still vibrates through the stand. Seriously starting to look at DC pumps to replace the reeflo with, for more reasons than just the vibration though ;Bored

SkiCatTX

Sustainable Reefkeeping
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have fun with that vibration...my pump is sitting on 1/2" thick yoga mat, plus the silicone fittings between it and the pvc...still vibrates through the stand. Seriously starting to look at DC pumps to replace the reeflo with, for more reasons than just the vibration though ;Bored
I have two Vectra M2s that are hard plumbed and sit right on the wood bottom in the stand...completely silent all the way to about 80% where they hum just a bit when you get right up close. Though when you close the doors you can't hear them at all. Like them so far.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two Vectra M2s that are hard plumbed and sit right on the wood bottom in the stand...completely silent all the way to about 80% where they hum just a bit when you get right up close. Though when you close the doors you can't hear them at all. Like them so far.
I have 2 RO VarioS 6 pumps I use for return pumps, one is main one is back-up, and they are completely silent...my reeflow dart/snapper hybrid on my closed loop however is not and I attribute most of the noise it creates to the fact that Reeflo apparently stopped using Baldor motors on their gold series pumps, yet they continued to advertise them on their website up until recently...when I looked up the numbers on the motor tag, it comes back as being made in china ;Bored yet they still claim Made in USA on website...ehh sorry rant, still a little P.O.ed about spending that much money on something that is obviously very cheaply made...so with rant over...most likely will stick with the RO VarioS pumps, but will get an 8 for the closed loop.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, it totally does.

I was so stressed the first couple days after the first fill up on my 180. I was convinced it would flood the house and the adventure would be all over... But, after we made it through a couple nights without issue, it was great to have it running after all the months of planning.

I felt the same way when I plumbed my Closed Loop, except for me it would have actually drained my entire 120 gallon tank:oops: Thankfully that never happened!

Well luckily for me the pump is in the basement so hopefully a silicone pad, silicone plumbing and silicone pads between the plumbing and ceiling will do it, the pump itself is actually silent, it's JUST the vibrations. Hopefully I can solve it as the alternative starts with a $1400 price tag :confused:

Last edited:

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200924_163930.jpg
20200924_125946.jpg
20200924_125857.jpg
20200924_125843.jpg

absolutely radical!!! love it!

Back