My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I'll have to throw a few emails out there and see who is willing to bring them in. Not sure who I want to buy them through yet, haven't been a fan of a couple of the vendors lately that used to be my go to's
If you go through with picking them up, lemme know who it was with.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you go through with picking them up, lemme know who it was with.

You will be the first to know, I'm still up in the air with it right now but I'll have to make a decision soon.

FYI, I was showing off your build thread at my reef club meeting this weekend! Everyone was in just as much awe as I was!

Oh wow, I'm flattered to say the least;Sorry I do hope as things progress I can live up to all the hype :) It's good to hear reef club meetings are still going on with everything that's happened over the past year.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH have you considered 3 Orphek Atlantik compacts? They should be able to handle the 30" width no problem. Three of those should come out to around $2500US after tax. It wouldn't be a bad idea to consider just using the OR3 bars either. I'm debating going that route on my tank. 10 35" bars should cover your tank. At $170 each, that would be less than $2000 and you could always add more if you need more par or coverage. That would also produce the most "blanket" like spread. I spoke with a rep from Orphek and he said by the end of the year, they should be releasing the controller app for all Orphek bars.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with Canada and Orphek is how they ship. FedEx will rake a personal $2500 USD order over the coals in terms of brokerage charges, not to mention the exchange rate, then tax on top of that. OR only makes sense up here for a very large group buy, or a pallet buy for a store. The US often doesn't realize how badly consumer shipping companies will hose Canadian people with brokerage charges.

Last edited:

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue with Canada and Orphek is how they ship. FedEx will rake a personal $2500 USD order over the coals in terms of brokerage charges, not to mention the exchange rate, then tax on top of that. OR only makes sense up here for a very large group buy, or a pallet buy for a store. The US often doesn't realize how badly consumer shipping companies will hose Canadian people with brokerage charges.

Not sure if they still do but The Coral Reef Shop in Burlington ON used to sell the entire Orphek line (I think).

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dreading this day for months.....
20201012_160612.jpg
I just smiled and took a deep breath. Zen. Location?

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow ,been pretty quiet lately ,hows it going "up" there :)

Oh it's going, been spending a lot of time working on the house and not really messing with the tank which has been a bit of a pain but everyone seems to be happy still so I'll count that as a win. Spent today working on the laundry room and Laying out the RODI System in its new home. Almost done!
20201102_161041.jpg
20201102_202023.jpg

Not sure if they still do but The Coral Reef Shop in Burlington ON used to sell the entire Orphek line (I think).

Thanks! I might give them a call and see if they still do

I just smiled and took a deep breath. Zen. Location?

JUST west of Banff, Alberta :)

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:rolleyes:quiet 10 days:oops::p:p:p:p,sincerly "riff-raff";)

Hey those were quiet, riff-raff free days! Nothing much new going on on the reef. Clowns have found there home at the very far end of the tank which is odd. I've been eyeing up some new additions but I'm holding off for now :)

Always wanted a shallow tank... Very nice

Well that means you just need to go get one ;Smuggrin And thank you!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"knock on wood" HA..i see snow on the ground out the window :pit's 60 here rt now ;Woot ;Woot ;Woot
but seriously nice work on nursery:cool:

Just a little bit of snow, we don't get a whole lot with all the Chinooks we get. And thank you, it was wayyyy more work than I wanted to do but definitely worth it in the end:) :)

Mountain theme, I might do a mural on one of the walls but undecided still

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back