My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And a teeny tiny update for the tank, HUGE update for my wife, finally got the fridge installed under the tank. So all the frozen food in our freezer has a new home!
20210121_104633.jpg

Eventually I plan on drilling this and installing a doser to do auto feedings with phyto and other things.
now that's slick!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now that's slick!

Thanks!! it JUST barely fit, I had the spin the rubber feet in all the way. But it's perfect, the freezer section is a little smaller than I would have liked but everything fits!

Things are slowly rolling in for my lighting to FINALLY go up. Just need to trim things down once the angled bracket comes in (Backordered ;Shifty)
20210127_163028.jpg
20210127_163021.jpg

Other light comes in on Tuesday hopefully, fingers crossed!!! I will be setting up two Kessil A360X's for the time being and adding a third in a little bit.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not planning on suspending it from the ceiling, however, I will be suspending it from the wall using these...
20210127_173526.jpg
20210127_173535.jpg

I will have one screwed into the end of the bar and the other screwed into the plywood backing on the wall. Fully adjustable aluminum cable and aluminum fittings should work really well.

RJKain-777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not planning on suspending it from the ceiling, however, I will be suspending it from the wall using these...
20210127_173526.jpg
20210127_173535.jpg

I will have one screwed into the end of the bar and the other screwed into the plywood backing on the wall. Fully adjustable aluminum cable and aluminum fittings should work really well.
That’s a really slick idea!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good. I am afraid this project is going to get interrupted before it gets finished though....

Well, the project is currently on hold for probably a week waiting on the bracket. And that certain thing that would have interrupted it might be going down tonight :)

That’s a really slick idea!

Thanks!!! I used similar hardware to suspend my fuge in my last build and it worked REALLY well, so I don't forsee any issues with this

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! it JUST barely fit, I had the spin the rubber feet in all the way. But it's perfect, the freezer section is a little smaller than I would have liked but everything fits!

Things are slowly rolling in for my lighting to FINALLY go up. Just need to trim things down once the angled bracket comes in (Backordered ;Shifty)
20210127_163028.jpg
20210127_163021.jpg

Other light comes in on Tuesday hopefully, fingers crossed!!! I will be setting up two Kessil A360X's for the time being and adding a third in a little bit.
You are a master craftsman sir! Keep up the good work!

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure you’re aware of this and have them in place but if not, make sure you have good check valves on those return lines.

I ran return lines like that once and almost drained a whole tank during a power outage due to a failed check valve.

check vaves require servicing sometimes, they need to Close 100%

unless maybe all those lock lines are a closed loop, then It doesn’t matter

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are a master craftsman sir! Keep up the good work!

I tip my hat to you good sir, I say the same to you, your build is shaping up to be fantastic!

you will be a different person within next 30 hrs or so ;) :cool:

Good luck to you and your family bro.

Oh boy @JoshH!! Very excited for you guys and smooth delivery wishes to your wife!

My life has been nuts this week, but all I think about is whether our newest r2r baby/member is here yet!!! I check this thread before mine!!!

Awesome sauce! a Reefer is born soon

Thank you everyone SOOO much for all your kind words and excitement for our new addition, We can't wait to meet him!!! (Seriously though, My wife is sick of waiting and tomorrow can't come fast enough). I'm really glad to have all of you along for the ride :)

I’m sure you’re aware of this and have them in place but if not, make sure you have good check valves on those return lines.

I ran return lines like that once and almost drained a whole tank during a power outage due to a failed check valve.

check vaves require servicing sometimes, they need to Close 100%

unless maybe all those lock lines are a closed loop, then It doesn’t matter

Definitely sound advice and all those loclines are indeed for a closed loop system. I am not a firm believer in check valves because, as you eluded to, they do fail, even with the best of maintenance schedules. So I've made certain that my sump can handle 100% of what drains down when the return is off.

My closed loop has dual valves on each outlet to ensure I can get a proper seal when I maintain the closed loop pumps. And if that fails, the bulkheads are threaded so I can unscrew the locline and screw in a threaded fitting with a cap on it. I close and open each valve every other month to make sure they don't stiffen up.

N Good luck with the baby

we have another on the way to my house early July

hoping for July 4th

enjoy all the love!!

Thank you very much for your kind words and congratulations on your addition as well!!! If you have our luck, he/she will come when you really don't want them to :p

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back