My Shallow Dream Build 60" × 30" × 17"

OP
OP
J

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through this thread...amazing tank/system! Also, congrats on the baby. We had the third one and then realized they outnumbered us. :)

I have been out of the hobby for quite a while...work, moving, etc. and getting back up to speed. When I left, closed loop was the way and I had some Lifereef stuff. LOL

I have a simple question on the plumbing. Where did you get the materials for your build (valves, fittings, pipe)?

Thank you for you kind words!! And I'm glad I'm not the only one rocking the Lifereef. Closed loops are pretty awesome, IDC what anyone says lol!

Simple question, complicated answer lol!!

Pipe and fittings - Formufit and Formufit Direct (there bulk warehouse)
unions - 1PVC.COM
Valves and adapter fittings - PVCfittingsonline.com

Oh and 3?????? Im hoping for two myself, outnumbered is never a good thing :p

I know that I've said it already, but you have an awesome tank and its an inspiring build!
Also, congrats on the baby!!

Thank you SO much!!! First real coral order coming in on Wednesday and the tank is ready for it l!!

20210214_195702.jpg

Fishy Jacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Of course like everyone else I will see what I can "borrow" on design. Unfortunately, I don't have your building skills or knowhow. When my son was growing up I copied the Brio train table design, but made it taller/bigger to fit him (chest high and length/width for his arm reach lol). Even painted the stand white and the top green. Does that count?! He used it all the time and I enjoyed making track layouts with him, so I call it a win! So yeah, I will buy my way out of the building skill gap on this project. :)

I am early stages of system planning and now will open the can of worms on equipment...
My current thinking is custom 60X30X24 euro-braced tank with custom stand 38" tall AND need all support equipment to fit in stand. I might have seperate/extended cabinet for monitoring and electrical controls. Goal is mixed tank, but potential for more difficult SPS this time.

Still deciding on tank manufacturer. While I have quote from Reef Savvy, that may be a bit much. I have looked at MIracle, Planet (LFS sells quite of few of these so he can QC their build on delivery), and Crystal Dynamics. Other names you would throw in the hat?

The sump will be custom sized this time to fit equipment plus surge volume to deal with unplanned challenges. I understand I will be paying nice freight bill for that choice. Looking like sump and skimmer from Jeff again, plus probably refrugium and ATO. The big design adds I am considering is the use of a rollermat (looking at Carisea 5000) and UV (Pentair 40W or 50W) with dry rock start-up and less sand bed (maybe 1"-2"). Any big picture design thoughts?

Still thinking through many other things...

desagon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Of course like everyone else I will see what I can "borrow" on design. Unfortunately, I don't have your building skills or knowhow. When my son was growing up I copied the Brio train table design, but made it taller/bigger to fit him (chest high and length/width for his arm reach lol). Even painted the stand white and the top green. Does that count?! He used it all the time and I enjoyed making track layouts with him, so I call it a win! So yeah, I will buy my way out of the building skill gap on this project. :)

I am early stages of system planning and now will open the can of worms on equipment...
My current thinking is custom 60X30X24 euro-braced tank with custom stand 38" tall AND need all support equipment to fit in stand. I might have seperate/extended cabinet for monitoring and electrical controls. Goal is mixed tank, but potential for more difficult SPS this time.

Still deciding on tank manufacturer. While I have quote from Reef Savvy, that may be a bit much. I have looked at MIracle, Planet (LFS sells quite of few of these so he can QC their build on delivery), and Crystal Dynamics. Other names you would throw in the hat?

The sump will be custom sized this time to fit equipment plus surge volume to deal with unplanned challenges. I understand I will be paying nice freight bill for that choice. Looking like sump and skimmer from Jeff again, plus probably refrugium and ATO. The big design adds I am considering is the use of a rollermat (looking at Carisea 5000) and UV (Pentair 40W or 50W) with dry rock start-up and less sand bed (maybe 1"-2"). Any big picture design thoughts?

Still thinking through many other things...
Have you looked at SC Aquariums? I’m not sure if you’ve discussed that earlier, but I went with them. They sell a 60x24x24 that’s eurobraced with low iron glass for $1000 shipped. You can opt for internal overflow or drilled for the shadow overflow too.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for you kind words!! And I'm glad I'm not the only one rocking the Lifereef. Closed loops are pretty awesome, IDC what anyone says lol!

Simple question, complicated answer lol!!

Pipe and fittings - Formufit and Formufit Direct (there bulk warehouse)
unions - 1PVC.COM
Valves and adapter fittings - PVCfittingsonline.com

Oh and 3?????? Im hoping for two myself, outnumbered is never a good thing :p

Thank you SO much!!! First real coral order coming in on Wednesday and the tank is ready for it l!!

20210214_195702.jpg
@JoshH, that is such a HOT tank!!!

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i can throw one in who will throw a whole list of builders :cool: @Joe Glass Cages..
@fishguy242, my pleasure. tons of options.

Below is a list of Aquarium manufactures. You have many options to explore. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Concept Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Redsea
17. SCA
18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits
19. GEO
20. Elos
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge

The best choice is your choice.

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey thanks for input. Although, after reading my post again I realize I should not have jumped into JoshH thread with a long list of my stuff. Sorry JoshH!!

If anyone else has thoughts, please PM me.

No worries Steve, I'm not on R2R much anymore so it doesn't bother me one bit. Best of luck on your new build!!!

Here's a list of custom tank makers if you want a comprehensive list of options...

A little late to the party, but Congratulations on the growing family! It sure is a great adventure and enjoy the ride!

Thank you! It's been an interesting one so far lol!!

OP
OP
J

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure it has been. We welcomed our second son on December 4th, and nothing prepares you for it except living it. Its good to see everyone healthy and happy.

Oh wow congratulations!!! How is it the second time around??

Oh my god! I am melting from the cuteness!!!

Awwwww Hearts GIF

He takes it all in stride...
20210220_133108.jpg

Our ever-watchful second mom keeping an eye on things...
20210221_110034.jpg

Last edited:

French27

Excitedly New to the Hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
French27 said:
I’m sure it has been. We welcomed our second son on December 4th, and nothing prepares you for it except living it. Its good to see everyone healthy and happy.

Oh wow congratulations!!! How is it the second time around??

The second time has been great! Time is now at an even higher premium. Enjoy the ride my friend.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back