My shallow reef build 13gal + 12g sump

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers
I'm finally bringing my dream build to reality, and yes i know that a lot of people are shaking they're head right now and wonder why i wouldn't go with a bigger system, well iv'e had bigger tanks like the im sr60, but we live in an smaller (ground floor) apartment and it just looked off in our living space, it consumed the room and i guess thats not a bad thing but we really wanted something that fitted our lifestyle better since we travel a fair bit about 1-3 months at a time, so what my dream scenario is, is a smaller tank that works in our little jungle of a living room and still keeps me moving forward in the hobby, but can be managed pretty easy by tank watchers, so without any more explanations, here is where we're at

P.s I'm sorry if my spelling offends you I'm one of those non U S Americans ;)

so i closed down the im 60gal and its now up for sale and sold my colonies of lps, but i did frag some of my favorite and sentimental corals for the new tank and threw them in a 8 gal nano for now :) heres some pics
DSC07713.jpg
Btw if anybody knows the more common name for the zoa's im all ears
DSC09157.jpg

and some more but apparently my pictures are to big for the site :/

well this is the planned area for the new tank
IMG_5650.JPG

And this is the render i made using the measurements im going for :)
IMG_1161.JPG

-So the main tank will be a custom optiwhite 23.6 inch wide 15 inch deep and 8.6 inch high and 6mm thick
i will probably be running the Triton method, less water to carry around for the tank sitters (and i could have larger containers for dosing and ato wile we're away.

-The stands will be made out of reinforced you guessed it ;) Ikea furniture

-overflow is leaning towards the eshopps eclipse s, with a herbie overflow

-for light i'm sticking with my radion g2 xr30 (but i will add a diffuser down the line)

-I'm going to use my BM NAC 3.5 skimmer for this tank, because i think the size will give great value further on

-refugium lights im looking at a UFO 150w growing light from amazon mainly because ive seen results and its not going to heat up as a fluorescent bulb since i am quite cramped in the cabinet. And i have updated the design but haven't taken the time to render it out yet, still thinking about how to mount it for a clean installation

-and some form of bioblock, have been keeping an eye on the new maxspect bio-block that looks promising

-dosing pump is still going to be aquamedic reefdoser (haven't had any issues and i love that the display is separate from the dosing body)

-ato tunze 3155 i think? :O

-return pump is looking like its going to be a sicce syncra silence 1.5

-i am rocking a mp10 on the small tank but i really am lost in what i can use for extra flow while not looking bulky in the tank?

IMG_1163.JPG
IMG_1162.JPG

this is going to be a work in progress but hoping to get it wet by the start of 2019 and the rockscape is going to be very minimal inputs are more then welcome, i am in the plumbing stage now and really don't know where to go with it, but since its a small tank i think its going to be soft PVC, with a dash of silicone tube to have it a little more stealthy in the livingroom

and btw does anybody know a good return nozzle and maybe how big/small of a bulkhead that would suit the tank, ive been looking at locline but man all the fittings and parts in a non metric scale is tearing me apart :D happy reefing bouys and girls

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Great details and sounds very cool. A solid option for the return nozzle is the Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generator. But check their flow specs to your returns flow.

OP
OP
Actuallykimhansen

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Great details and sounds very cool. A solid option for the return nozzle is the Vivid Creative Aquatics Random Flow Generator. But check their flow specs to your returns flow.
Thanks alot man :D ill look in to that, since im across the pond not everybody's shipping over here :/ i might just have to get creative

Chi Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan to ="...The stands will be made out of reinforced you guessed it ;) Ikea furniture"? I am looking to get an IM20 and use Ikea furniture as well to match the rest of my living room tv stand furniture. I was planning to use 2x4s to create an interior frame and paint it.

Chi

OP
OP
Actuallykimhansen

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan to ="...The stands will be made out of reinforced you guessed it ;) Ikea furniture"? I am looking to get an IM20 and use Ikea furniture as well to match the rest of my living room tv stand furniture. I was planning to use 2x4s to create an interior frame and paint it.

Chi

Yeah I’m going to frame it with 2x2 and 2x4 s and a thick plywood for the whole back panel :) love the im20’s, though I don’t know which paint I’ll use since it’s in the sump area, but I’m looking for a very clean installation

Last edited:
OP
OP
Actuallykimhansen

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
post pics of your ikea hack would love to see the process. I wonder if it any cheaper/better than just doing DIY an all plywood stand ??

I don’t know if it’s going to be steadier or cheaper but since it’s only 13g so I’m not that concerned with the weight:)
I’m Sure going to buddy, as soon as I get in to ordering everything , the main tank is like 4weeks until delivery, but I’ll document it the best I can :)

OP
OP
Actuallykimhansen

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the old 60g is on its way to a new owner, and that makes me both happy and kind of blue :/ really gonna miss that tank
1b9333630752fa55faba13a239415d2a.jpg

But this also gave me the green light on the 13g from wifey so I’m stoked [emoji1316][emoji1316]

OP
OP
Actuallykimhansen

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally made it to ikea today, got the main cabinet in the trunk :) packing it up later and hopefully getting the right measurements
b8789e885fcc7bb3919879a11c001581.jpg

OP
OP
Actuallykimhansen

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it’s starting to take it’s course, built the stand but it is definitely going to need some reinforcements but since it’s not going to be a big tank I think I can get buy with some 2x2 and 2x1 s man I’m exited to start figuring out this build
d182165f22320bf4b3175c5982f2a82e.jpg

Updating you guys as soon as I can [emoji1308]

OP
OP
Actuallykimhansen

Actuallykimhansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so after a bit of planning and being properly annoyed by the hinges, this is my plan to support the ikea stand, its still a bit of work to do but i think that this will be sturdy enough for the 13 g
structure.jpg
structure blowout.jpg
its going to be built by 3/4 plywood and some 2x2s (or the closest we have in Sweden which is 1 3/4') so what do you guys think all help and knowledge is appreciated :)

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%

Back