My snail keeps climbing out of my tank?!

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a reason why a snail would climb out of a tank? Or do they just do it because they don’t know better? The first time I was able to pull it off the outside glass but this time I left it alone because he wouldn’t let go of the glass when I tried to pull it off, and I didn’t want to hurt it by pulling too hard. I have a cover on my tank and plastic around the filter to keep my fish from jumping out. But I guess this snail is finding a way out somehow and I have no idea how. Here are pics of the snail and the filter on my tank showing how it is covered. I can’t figure out how it keeps escaping.

003B8097-1BF8-44A6-A118-C6D712BEFAF7.jpeg E2F7D6F3-DA6F-44C5-A23C-29BFEB906717.jpeg

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is there a reason why a snail would climb out of a tank? Or do they just do it because they don’t know better? The first time I was able to pull it off the outside glass but this time I left it alone because he wouldn’t let go of the glass when I tried to pull it off, and I didn’t want to hurt it by pulling too hard. I have a cover on my tank and plastic around the filter to keep my fish from jumping out. But I guess this snail is finding a way out somehow and I have no idea how. Here are pics of the snail and the filter on my tank showing how it is covered. I can’t figure out how it keeps escaping.

003B8097-1BF8-44A6-A118-C6D712BEFAF7.jpeg E2F7D6F3-DA6F-44C5-A23C-29BFEB906717.jpeg

Lots of snails do this. ( Nerites are usually the worst offenders. ). It is probably crawling up and out on the filter.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails will do that to dry out and breath air then go back in the water, others don’t like the water quality.
You seem to have one that is suicidal....what are your water parameters ?
Haha that’s what I thought too! My parameters are good besides my nitrates have been a little high but I’ve been doing water changes to keep them low. Maybe that’s the reason he’s coming out more often? This is the second night in a row I found him outside the tank.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A turbo would be able to push that egg crate and get out. There is a reason the earned the nickname bulldozer. They can be pretty strong. What ever force they exerted to hold onto the glass is the same force they can push against things too. Never had a turbo climb out though.

Check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and magnesium is my recommendation. If Mg gets close to 1500 ppm then it can effect snails, but usually acts as a sedative that they OD on. After getting 1st hand experience with multiple test kits, I wouldn't trust an API kit with this. Red Sea and Salifert are decent. If you want to splurge and get something nice that is easy to read, then I recommend Hanna.

Back