OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so it’s LIFE rock not LIVE rock. Big difference. Life rock is a Carib sea product name and it’s not paint it’s more accurately described as a coating designed to mimic coralline.
The white spots will disappear very quickly. As stated, coralline takes time and certain conditions to thrive. It’ll happen.
please do not consider painting your rocks ;Facepalm
never was going to and Sorry, i meant LIFE rock not Live rock.

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Life rock uses an epoxy to get the color. Not paint!
Geez..........I wonder why I still get surprised reading these things????

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don t know why people are hemorhaging over this ? First biologic filtration is NOT ONLY confined to rock surfaces , second if you are concerned about urchins rasping the rock then don t include them, third I am 40 years in the hobby and am a physcian keeping Marine tanks and reef and freshwater tanks, My side gig is aquarium maintance, I have SAFELY USED Liquitex acrylic Paints for 5 years and articficial corals rockwork and any other surfaces that need repair on my tanks and dozens of customer tanks SAFELY > NEVER one problem What do you think public aquariums do?. SO My Two cents if u care to try it it works, LOTS of misinformation in this Hobby/ profession, Just my two cents. have a great day!

Scdell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don t know why people are hemorhaging over this ? First biologic filtration is NOT ONLY confined to rock surfaces , second if you are concerned about urchins rasping the rock then don t include them, third I am 40 years in the hobby and am a physcian keeping Marine tanks and reef and freshwater tanks, My side gig is aquarium maintance, I have SAFELY USED Liquitex acrylic Paints for 5 years and articficial corals rockwork and any other surfaces that need repair on my tanks and dozens of customer tanks SAFELY > NEVER one problem What do you think public aquariums do?. SO My Two cents if u care to try it it works, LOTS of misinformation in this Hobby/ profession, Just my two cents. have a great day!
This is all good. You have what's called common sense. We all know someone is going to go to the store and buy some paint, paint their stuff and kill everything in the tank cause this threat says you can.

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all good. You have what's called common sense. We all know someone is going to go to the store and buy some paint, paint their stuff and kill everything in the tank cause this threat says you can.
Thank you good to hear someone else here is reasonable. Have a great day!

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago aquriams was filled with white rock (used to be called tooth rock) which gave a great aquascape, now life rock is purple painted as for demand, with white rock you could see progression of bacteria and it did change colour given time, with purple rock it's very hard to see this progression.
I would let you 'snail' do its thing, and you enjoy the white, I would not consider painting anything Especially in your aquarium as 1 painted object may kill all.. even the tiniest amount of any contaminates. This is My tooth rock I'm using for islands.

Attachments

• IMG20210930193901.jpg
    IMG20210930193901.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG20210923171833.jpg
    IMG20210923171833.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG20210915213305.jpg
    IMG20210915213305.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 23

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 turbos and about 14 of the white and red one trocus snails. got them for free and 1 3 inch top hat snail
Trochus are the culprit. They don’t eat but when they find algea (usually green algea) they want and can’t get it off the rock they rotate their shells scraping the rock. Mine do it all the time ans it’s super annoying. That being said they’re the best type of snail.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back