My so far successful Diatoms Eliminator

Teaman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen hundreds of different ways to Eliminate diatoms from tanks. Our 28 gal exploded in diatoms. So for what ever reason I just shut off all blue lights and left on white green and red. Now 2 weeks in there is 0 and I mean 0% diatoms in that tank. So today I turned on the blue as low as it can go and I’m going to see if it flares up again or if I beat it I will keep you posted. Our 75 started getting diatoms soon did the same thing 5 days ago. No blue and have white red and green on and it has turned it from a brown hair algae to a green algae without the long hair. Going to leave that alone for another week then start introducing the blues back in slowly. I also turned off my refugium light in the 75.

D578AB8A-E58E-4534-8CC5-49727EC6E17E.jpeg ED314E8C-9F1D-4368-9776-4BC606B8B51A.jpeg

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, have you checked your water recently for silica? It seems odd that both of your tanks are exploding in diatoms (assuming it's diatoms and not another organism).

OP
OP
Teaman89

Teaman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not. I bought 110lbs of (live rock) from a not so trusting source (didn’t realize that at the time of purchase) those 2 tanks have the same rock from that purchase. That’s a good idea though I will have to go buy the test kit.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect it's not from the rock and is more likely coming from your water. If you have a TDS meter, you can also make sure your filters or RO membrane don't need to be replaced.

OP
OP
Teaman89

Teaman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 tanks. 2 have the same rock and all 4 use same Ro system water. The other 2 tanks are doing great.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms need a silicate source .. once silicate is gone so will the diatoms ..like stated check for sources . New sand .?? Rodi filters ....??dosing something like brightwells sponge excel ..??

Scottmac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue with my new tank, its not the brownish colour that i'm bothered about its how it clumps the sand together. Considering getting rid of the sand altogether and replacing with beech pebbles, anyone tried this?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scottmac did you rinse the sand before putting in?

Diatoms are ugly but will go away once all silicates are used up.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All sand has dust/silicates. Rinse until the water runs clear. Can take awhile.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diatoms need a silicate source .. once silicate is gone so will the diatoms ..like stated check for sources . New sand .?? Rodi filters ....??dosing something like brightwells sponge excel ..??
@Scottmac did you rinse the sand before putting in?

Diatoms are ugly but will go away once all silicates are used up.
Is this really the truth or is it a myth? Does high silicates always cause a diatom bloom ? What are normal concentrations of Si in a normal reef aquarium with natural limestone rocks?

Sincerely Lasse

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this really the truth or is it a myth? Does high silicates always cause a diatom bloom ? What are normal concentrations of Si in a normal reef aquarium with natural limestone rocks?

maybe both! My thoughts are that if nothing is using the Si then diatoms will.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe both! My thoughts are that if nothing is using the Si then diatoms will.
Consider this 4 years measurements of Si in my aquaria - no diatom problems ever. and the top is nearly 20 000 µg!!!!!

screenshot 031.PNG
My normal levels is now around 250 - 300 µg

Sincerely Lasse

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is interesting Lasse. Don’t have an explanation. Although your tank setup is different than most!
So when you first set it up, you never had the “uglies” ? I remember reading you having Cyano on occasion.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different ...tanks with more sponges will consume more Si ..and even when treating tanks with dinos with si ..which aim for around 2ppm ...diatoms might be present in the water but not too the eye

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have get some cyano after three years - and still have some in very small patches. Not a problem. Normally not doing anything - if it get a little to much - a toothbrush is a hand tool :p. Not much diatoms in the start and they disappear. And for the first year - I only use tap water and have not used any silicate filter for more than 3.5 years. I decided to do an experiment in order to evaluate if I could use my tap water and only filtrate through a resin. (save water from the osmosis process). Did not work very well and now I have a lot of resins - it means that I use it after my RO. I will not buy any new after I have used all.

Its not only my special tank - we have a lot of analyses from different tanks at my job - and they all show the same - variation between 100 and 250 µg

A 10 000 L tank - hard corals

screenshot 037.PNG

An experimental tank

screenshot 038.PNG

A large coral farming system

screenshot 039.PNG

IMO - the picture is rather clear - most tanks with limestone rocks contain between 100 - 250 µg SI without any problems

Tests taken with Triton ICP

Sincerely Lssse

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen hundreds of different ways to Eliminate diatoms from tanks. Our 28 gal exploded in diatoms. So for what ever reason I just shut off all blue lights and left on white green and red. Now 2 weeks in there is 0 and I mean 0% diatoms in that tank. So today I turned on the blue as low as it can go and I’m going to see if it flares up again or if I beat it I will keep you posted. Our 75 started getting diatoms soon did the same thing 5 days ago. No blue and have white red and green on and it has turned it from a brown hair algae to a green algae without the long hair. Going to leave that alone for another week then start introducing the blues back in slowly. I also turned off my refugium light in the 75.

D578AB8A-E58E-4534-8CC5-49727EC6E17E.jpeg ED314E8C-9F1D-4368-9776-4BC606B8B51A.jpeg

The blues might have had less to do with the result than the 2 week wait.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this 4 years measurements of Si in my aquaria - no diatom problems ever. and the top is nearly 20 000 µg!!!!!

screenshot 031.PNG
My normal levels is now around 250 - 300 µg

Sincerely Lasse

I think you have the biodiversity that wold cycle all that silica into biomass of your tank inhabitants.

You have an amazing system Lasse.

I think newer systems with dead rock and new sand just have “issues” for a while. I know mine is having them.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

• I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

• I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Back