My Soft Corals are shrinking and closing up...ARE THEY DYING???

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys...I am currently perplexed about the state of my saltwater aquarium stocked mainly with softies, 1 Acan and 4 fish. Its a 30 gallon tank stocked with the following:

- 2 sacrophytons
- 1 Zoa
- 1 Kenya Tree
- 1 Briarieum
- 1 Pulstating Xenia

The tank is about 8 months old and the corals were doing fine up until 2 months ago. I am thinking my filteration is overkill as my nitrates and phosphates are 0. I have just turned my skimmer off and decided not to do any water changes over the next month. Just the regular topping off. I am currently dosing nitrates and phosphates with aminos.

It looks like my zoas and kenya tree are moving to the edge of the frag. My lighting is a Nicrew 50 Watt running an all blue at 100%. I just reduced the intensity today and decided to. mix in the whites too. Something seems really off and and my corals just refuse to open up ket alone grow or propogate. Any help would be great right now!!

IMG_20210917_211048.jpg
IMG_20210917_211035.jpg
IMG_20210917_210955.jpg
IMG_20210917_200413.jpg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks way to clean for 8 months old. Get some nitrates/phosphates in there. Softies like more mature, "dirtier" tanks. I'm not familiar with the light you are running, and it sounds like you are guessing with the PAR output. I would borrow/rent/buy a PAR meter.
Don't turn off your skimmer. It'll reduce your O2 too much. Instead, let it run, but take the collection cup off and allow it to overflow back into the sump. Or, you can turn off the skimmer and add an airstone to the sump instead.

OP
OP
D

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks way to clean for 8 months old. Get some nitrates/phosphates in there. Softies like more mature, "dirtier" tanks. I'm not familiar with the light you are running, and it sounds like you are guessing with the PAR output. I would borrow/rent/buy a PAR meter.
Don't turn off your skimmer. It'll reduce your O2 too much. Instead, let it run, but take the collection cup off and allow it to overflow back into the sump. Or, you can turn off the skimmer and add an airstone to the sump instead.
Thanks, yeah I am dosing with no3 and po4 currently. I am not not sure if there would be a sudden spike so I am testing everyday. The zoas seem to have moved to the side of the frag, any idea what I can do to save them? They do appear white and not sure if the low nutrients or light or both have caused this.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things to note that I see immediately. Take it or leave it, I am only noting thins from my experience.
1. Three clowns will not last long. Eventually (usually within 1-2yrs) it will be down to 2. A dominant female and her dominant male. The last will be killed.
2. Second, it is a very clean tank. Although it looks nice to us, the softies want it dirtier shall we say. More nitrates for sure and phosphates will climb too. Feed it a bit more. Softies appreciate food. Broadcast something for corals. I really like this stuff I am trying and so do all my corals: New Spectrum Nutri/Cell Coral Food.
3. Give them time. They will shed and take time to come out. If you continue to disturb them, they will stay closed. I had one remain closed for over 4 months. I was working a lot in the tank and it was not happy. Came out huge though.
4. Get good flow on them. They like it.
5. I do not know the light, but zoas tend to like lower lights and the leathers can handle any light really.
Good luck!

OP
OP
D

davy31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple things to note that I see immediately. Take it or leave it, I am only noting thins from my experience.
1. Three clowns will not last long. Eventually (usually within 1-2yrs) it will be down to 2. A dominant female and her dominant male. The last will be killed.
2. Second, it is a very clean tank. Although it looks nice to us, the softies want it dirtier shall we say. More nitrates for sure and phosphates will climb too. Feed it a bit more. Softies appreciate food. Broadcast something for corals. I really like this stuff I am trying and so do all my corals: New Spectrum Nutri/Cell Coral Food.
3. Give them time. They will shed and take time to come out. If you continue to disturb them, they will stay closed. I had one remain closed for over 4 months. I was working a lot in the tank and it was not happy. Came out huge though.
4. Get good flow on them. They like it.
5. I do not know the light, but zoas tend to like lower lights and the leathers can handle any light really.
Good luck!
thanks that helps

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back