My speculation: Vibrant has some fluconazole in it...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
FWIW - @taricha, @Dan_P @Dr. Reef and others - I have asked the admins to put these experiments into a forum - and give the people who have done them a badge of some sort - kind of like the article badge. All of your work is appreciated!!!

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• BPB Charge.png
    BPB Charge.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 49
  • aspartic acid vs ph.jpg
    aspartic acid vs ph.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 53

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This makes no sense to me

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
strips don't distinguish between AlgaeFix and Vibrant: see here.
I do not think you can use your method - using dried slides - to compare the two - without knowing what the concentration for example in Algaefix - and Vibrant is. I was under the impression that the company was going to respond? But - this dried method - IMHO is not accurate whatsoever to quantify/compare the amounts of ingredients in the 2 bottles.

Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 10mLs, you would see a pellet. There are no cells in it. Or the OD is so low that you can't see it.
Well, it doesn't demonstrate the Absence of cells/spores/particles, just remarkably less than hobby bacterial products.

You can see though that the more water added the color gets further apart.
:) Whatever your eyeballs are trying say, the raw RGB data in the post says there is no color distinction between AF and Vibrant in the pictures for eyeballs to find.

Fedex said yesterday that my quat titration kit is finally on the way.
It might allow quantification that neither the BPB vs dried dilutions or strips vs liquid dilutions will allow.
Titration might (*might*) further allow one to check for bottle to bottle variation in concentration in the product. So anyone who has had a very bad result should hang on to the bottles if possible. There may be helpful information to be gained about what went wrong.
(or not - the coral losses may have nothing to do with the amount of detected quat-like substance in vibrant)

Pictures? Do you think a small sample from a bottle with 3.5% suspect substance really leave noticeable crystals?
20211119_075239-COLLAGE.jpg

Left to right, a drop of each:
tank water, AlgaeFix, Vibrant, Waste Away, MicroBacter7
bottom pic is dried 25 minutes on coffee warmer. Top pic is me "smudging" each dried drop with a fingertip. AlgaeFix and Vibrant were both sticky to the touch and lacked any of the "crusty-ness" of the others.

This is another low-information observation. I conclude nothing from it except that Vibrant keeps being wierdly similar to AlgaeFix, and weirdly unlike saltwater or hobby bacterial products.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it doesn't demonstrate the Absence of cells/spores/particles, just remarkably less than hobby bacterial products.
It doesn't demonstrate that it is sterile, as you would need to plate it or put it in a shake flask.

But it does demonstrate that it isn't a culture of bacteria.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quote fail.

It doesn't demonstrate that it is sterile, as you would need to plate it or put it in a shake flask.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Duplicate

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Quote fail.

One issue is that it doesn't take a lot of bacterial cells or spores - to cause explosive growth in a tank. That said - there does seem to be more 'stuff' in the pellets from other products. I don't know if anyone looked at the pellets under a microscope.

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@taricha Interesting picture similar white residue. Has any checked these on a refractometer? Density, flame test, does either smell differently, difference of solubility in solvents, etc... I can think of a few more. Ex one should be slightly soluble in methanol, the other not. Also one should have a fishy smell, the other would lack this. I think other methods would be better than color change. I can see a slight difference in bpb test, and strips.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait. Vibrant is knocking back Bryopsis? I didn't think Vibrant was indicated for bryopsis.
could be unrelated. I had a newish tank and added it to fight cyano thinking i was adding additional bacteria to help out compete it.. I actually wanted my bryopsis to live since i have lettuce seaslugs and they are my 3rd favorite thing in my tank.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could be unrelated. I had a newish tank and added it to fight cyano thinking i was adding additional bacteria to help out compete it.. I actually wanted my bryopsis to live since i have lettuce seaslugs and they are my 3rd favorite thing in my tank.
Where did you find lettuce sea slugs?

Back