My story on how i fought off ICH .. will now start QT !

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Isabella rubalcaba, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Isabella rubalcaba

Isabella rubalcaba Member

Hello again guys !! So heres my story, i purchased a yellow eye tang off live aquaria, and made the HUGE mistake of not QT the fish. My tank beforehand has never faced any kind of disease/etc. so anyway as i was observing the new arrival i noticed what many of us dread .. i saw a few, tiny white dots on its sides .. my heart dropped & IMMEDIATELY began feeling like i made a huge mistake, which i did. But now it was too late, the fish was in my tank & theres no way i could take the tank apart to try to catch it. So, i started googling & asking questions on what my possibilites were. I have a mixed reef tank meaning copper was out of my options. Anyway, i will continue my story as soon as i get someone reading this cause i dont want to type a huge essay for mo reason !! Lol .. i'll finish it then, but basically i was successful im fighting off the ich through .. guess .. giving my fish a HEALTHY DIET !!!!!

2. Maritimer

Maritimer Moderator Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter CTARS Member R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Healthy fish can sometimes overcome ich - especially milder infestations - but it's not "cured", as it's still in the system, hidden inside the fishes' gills, just ticking over and biding its time. New additions may have a hard time of it in that situation - it's how my tank started, before fallow . . .

That said, sometimes it's just sand stuck to the fish's slimecoat. If it's ich, the spots should stay in the same place for three days or so before dropping away.

~Bruce, hoping to hear the rest of the story . . .

3. ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Reef Tank 365 Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

4. Isabella rubalcaba

I really appreciate you guys adding your input ! And wow the eradicate vs manage point is SPOT on .. well, considering my limited options, i'd say my best was to just try to " manage " the ich at that point. I have no plans in adding new fish & will do my best to keep stress levels down. I wont bother using chemicals to take care of the ich since all that will do is waste my money & possibly irrtate the tank inhabitants. My tank is steady at the moment, no deaths or symptoms. Will be reporting & updating you guys on here & REALLY appreciate your guy's insight. I will continue telling the story after i get some sleep ! Had a long day lol

Maritimer likes this.
  5. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Moving forward, I recommend investing in either a UV or diatom filter. This will help keep the population of free swimmers down. The other half of the equation, keeping your fishes immune systems boosted, you've already figured out via nutrition.

I also would avoid genus/species that are delicate or have thin mucous coats, as these fish can serve as reservoirs for the parasite and fuel outbreaks.

6. Isabella rubalcaba

Thanks for the heads up !! Great input. However, i have a copepod population & regualry does live plankton. Wouldn't the UV wipe them out ??

7. Humblefish

Humblefish Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Moderator Emeritus

Only if you have tigger pods (large red copepods) which swim in the water column.

8. 4FordFamily

4FordFamily Tang, Angel, & Wrasse Addict Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Partner Member 2019 Article Contributor Expert Contributor Hospitality Award Build Thread Contributor

Stay away from most tangs and angels if you wish to try ich management.

Maritimer and Isabella rubalcaba like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted