My sump is growing algae..........

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump started to grow the algae that is plaguing my display. I cut my lights back from 70% to 20%. My nitrates and nitrates are low which I know means the algae is consuming it. I have chaeto and another macro algae in my sump but they're not out competing the bad algae. I have vibrant on the way but has this happened to you where your refugium has taken on anything but the macro?

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow more green hair algae in my fuge than chaeto these days and I'm OK with that. I just treat it like chaeto and trim it regularly and it helps me control the nutrients in my tank!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump started to grow the algae that is plaguing my display. I cut my lights back from 70% to 20%. My nitrates and nitrates are low which I know means the algae is consuming it. I have chaeto and another macro algae in my sump but they're not out competing the bad algae. I have vibrant on the way but has this happened to you where your refugium has taken on anything but the macro?
Dt may always have algae unless the fuge is super efficient.
Get some algae eaters for the dt.
Foxface if 4 feet or more.
Blenny otherwise, urchins too.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grow GHA and Chaeto in my fuge plus it has film algae on the walls. As long as it is in the fuge and not the DT I am happy. GHA grows faster BTW. I prefer it to chaeto, but I can't fit a ATS.

OP
OP
hawkbait

hawkbait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tomini tang in the dis[lay he's been in there for like a month and he's still nervous and just hiding. Thanks guys I just thought that the macro algae would take out all the algae period and got concerned that I had some super algae or something.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a drop of brightwell Fe every other day for a couple weeks to see if the cheato takes off. I add one drop per day per 110 gallons. I also have gha in small patches in my display, but leave it there as I judge my nutrients by the health and color of it. So I feed more or less based on its looks.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 32.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back