My Tampa Bay Saltwater aquacultured rock experience.

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received 25 pounds of rock to seed my 18 month old 90 gallon setup from TBS. I started the tank with dead rock and it just hasn’t taken off the way I have seen others take off using live rock so I figured I’d give this a shot in hopes of jump starting my system. The order process was smooth. I received my rock 12 hours after it shipped. I did not weigh it but it was probably closer to 30 lbs according to the shipping weight minus the water. The shipping was fine. No issues other than having to pick it up from the airport at night, but that isn’t the fault of TBS. They can’t control airline schedules. It was packaged well, in a styrofoam box with no leaks. I received 3 bigger pieces and 2 smaller. I put it directly in my tank as recommended by TBS. On the rock I see barnacles, tiny feather dusters, a couple of sponges, one or two unknown small coral heads a few worms (that I can see) macro algae of some sort, and some other plants I can’t identify. I didn’t notice any pods , but that doesn’t mean they weren’t there. I read reviews of people receiving shrimp, snails, urchins, crabs and other hitchhikers, but as of yet I have not seen any. I am really hoping to see some as this was a big reason why I went with TBS and their method of shipping rock in water and not KP Aquatics. This rock doesn’t seem to have many holes or hiding places though. I had two negative impressions, 1. was that there was very little to almost no Coraline Algae and 2 the largest rock was mostly barren and really white for something supposedly sitting in the ocean for two years. I am a fairly disappointed in that. Other than that it has been a positive experience. My Magnificent Foxface and Melanarus Wrasse have been quite happy with the new rock, picking at it all day. I have no aminos issues and TBS customer service has been great. I had several questions and they were all answered quickly.

7BA74DC2-E236-4586-872E-44B7814D8EF3.jpeg
334B278B-9A45-4AF6-B8DD-9A259EC36637.jpeg
18693EC7-3732-4197-84EF-72CBCDE3FDA7.jpeg

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you know which rock it is?

I know they have the regular mined rock, they also have Walt Smith rock and Pukani that they dropped out there.

It looks like it might be the Walt stuff if it does not have allot of pores.

I have seen allot of TBS rock and it is usually cover in sponges.

I wonder if they have not been able to get out in a while because of weather or other issues. I know there is a massive algae bloom right now that is even causing health issues and killing everything. I not sure there site is even close to that anyway.

White is usually dead coralline. It does not look too bad though except the first piece. Coralline usually comes back. I wonder if he lights his storage tanks?

I am betting business is way up too because of all the live rock shut downs.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white looks like fresh rock not something that was there and died.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know which rock it is. It’s really just the one piece I had a problem with. It just happens to be the biggest and heaviest piece. I was hoping for something with more holes and hiding spots as well, but the other pieces were nice and covered with “stuff”

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought rocks from TBS and love them. Don't worry, u'll see hitchhikers. I caught so many gorilla crabs and pistol shrimp. R u hearing any popping sounds from the rock, i.e. pistol shrimp? Kind of surprised by the white rock, however upon closer inspection there appears to be many empty barnacle/feather duster shells. Which tells me the rock is not that new.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The white looks like fresh rock not something that was there and died.

I see some color but not much. To me it cant be fresh because of the barnacles so it has been out there a while. It looks to me like maybe it was some sort of light issue and either coralline died or the rock was shaded and did not receive light to grow coralline. The odd thing is lack of sponges on them. That rock could have been shipped without water, there does not look like anything could be lost. Maybe he sent it to you this rock because you wanted to put it in your tanks right away and less chance of getting something bad with those pieces or sponges to die off?

I would be disappointed a little too but it is still way better than the boat rock that was coming in. No life at all on it.

Last edited:

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've bought rocks from TBS and love them. Don't worry, u'll see hitchhikers. I caught so many gorilla crabs and pistol shrimp. R u hearing any popping sounds from the rock, i.e. pistol shrimp? Kind of surprised by the white rock, however upon closer inspection there appears to be many empty barnacle/feather duster shells. Which tells me the rock is not that new.

Why remove pistols, they are interesting little guys especially if get one that pairs with a goby.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All in all I am very with them and glad I did it. Lots of barnacle shells but they’re all empty. All their rock is sent with the expectation that you put it directly into your tank. Other than the empty barnacles and feather dusters it looks like a piece of mined dead rock.

Skedaddle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also received TBS rock this week, Wednesday. I have to agree with @USMA36 , what I received was, I am sure, just fine. I was hoping for a bit more based on other threads. I also have a couple of white rocks. They are almost covered in barnacle shells (dozens) but no one is home. The barnacles that were present have been gone for quite some time, based on my experience scraping the bottom of my 52' boat. Those same rocks have none of the macro life, algae and worms etc. that the others in the shipment have. I will have to say that this is the first half of the "package" shipment, and my understanding is that it is more base rock, and that the 2nd half will be more robust.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back