My tang gang from Marine collectors

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 187g tank has been up for 2 months now and just combined my fish I have owned for years with fish from marine collectors. This post might be premature but so far so good after 2 days. I added 2 clown fish to the tank 30 days ago after a 30 day black out cycle, on day 60 I added my tang gang. I added a yellow tang , yellow eye kole tang and a trio of Lyretail Anthias form a tank I have had over 5 years and added them in new tank from with an order from marine collectors. I added a Achilles tang, powder blue tang, purple tang and a blue hippo tang. My thought was to have 3 oval tangs and 3 triangle tangs to help prevent aggression by spreading it out through out a tang gang being added all at once. would love to here from the tang police thoughts and advice, thanks in advance for your time and advice!
Tang Gang Link
^^^check it out^^^

Last edited:

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well since you already added them, it seems you don’t really want advice . If it’s the standard 187, which is 5 feet long, the advice I’ll give is to have as much flow as possible to decrease aggression. 5 feet isn’t enough swimming length for all those fangs especially Achilles (in a crowded tank) but I hope you are the exception.
I have had those fish and wish you good fortune.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video definitely takes you to a press release with the Singapore prime minister discussing COVID19. That is a lot of tangs in one tank. Feed VERY heavily and keep flow up. If food source becomes limited then fish will start killing each other. Also it isn't that they show aggression to oval vs triangular fish, but rather they can identify fish in a similar genus. They really become territorial with fish that go after the same resources and appear similar.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following because I'd like to defy the tang police too

I understand :D ,...I've actually done it recently and got away with it.:p I know some people go overboard with the tang thang but I think the "tang police" get a little more criticism than they deserve. There are always exceptions both positive and negative to the"rules" . PS I know you were not being critical!

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tang gang! Looks like they get along fine.
That’s all that matters for now, I think advice to increase flow is always good for the overall tank health. The whole ‘tang police’ attacks etc are really getting old. Many other fish that aren’t suitable for smaller tanks. IMO, most fish that exceed 8-9” in a 5-6ft tank become very obviously too big for that tank but that’s a good reason to upgrade :)

OP
OP
Forshurley

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nice tang gang! Looks like they get along fine.
That’s all that matters for now, I think advice to increase flow is always good for the overall tank health. The whole ‘tang police’ attacks etc are really getting old. Many other fish that aren’t suitable for smaller tanks. IMO, most fish that exceed 8-9” in a 5-6ft tank become very obviously too big for that tank but that’s a good reason to upgrade :)
Thanks for the reply!
It should take a couple years for a few of them to out grow the tank and will cross that bridge when it comes. I like to think they are in a better place then at the whole seller or a small QT tank and now have home where they will be well feed and taken care of. Plus the Achilles was always a dream fish and a must have.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back