My Tang is a jerk. I need something for my sand.

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I need some advice. My Tang is a serious bully/murderer. My marine betta, lyretail hawfish, and vloriks eats inverts (maybe others just caught these). I cannot keep any crabs unless it's a huge hermit. So far they seem to leave my urchin alone. My Tang has killed a lawnmower blenny, royal Gramma, longnose hawk, pj cardinal, and bullied many others. My vloriks and Tang teamed up on my moyeri who I rescued and she is thriving in my sump. I have a pj cardinal living in each of my overflows. I got my Tang when it was TINY and it appeared to be a lavender Tang...it is not. It's about 5 inches now and it's a 2 spot bristletooth..I think. I need help with my sand it's atrocious. I think that I need to add a goatfish but my Tang most certainly will kill it.

All of my fish are obese... like big fat fatties. I feed frozen, nori, and have an auto feeder for my anthias. Help.

-Should I rehome my Tang and introduce a new one the same time as goatfish? (Add moyeri and Cardinals back )
-Pull Tang while goatfish quarantines and reintroduce all together?
-Do you think my wrasse will become new tank bully?
-I cannot remove sand with my wrasses.

150g deep w dual overflows and 55g sump with refugium.

Current stock list:
-Mocha domino clown male
-Black ice clown female
-Red lyretail hawkfish 6"
-Coral beauty- 3"
-Two spot bristletooth Tang 5"
-One spot foxface 6"
-Vlrolrik wrasse 6"
-Male lyretail anthias 4-5"
-Red bar anthias 4-5"
-Marine betta 7-8"
-5 Talbot damsels (I know...had a year and get along bc they have plenty of room...I secretly love them)
-Moyeri wrasse- 4" sump dweller
-2 PJ Cardinals 2" left and right overflow dwellers
-2 RBTAs my clowns don't host. Just split after a blackout
-2 corals only
Mushroom and devil's hand leather

Fishagent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

I need some advice. My Tang is a serious bully/murderer. My marine betta, lyretail hawfish, and vloriks eats inverts (maybe others just caught these). I cannot keep any crabs unless it's a huge hermit. So far they seem to leave my urchin alone. My Tang has killed a lawnmower blenny, royal Gramma, longnose hawk, pj cardinal, and bullied many others. My vloriks and Tang teamed up on my moyeri who I rescued and she is thriving in my sump. I have a pj cardinal living in each of my overflows. I got my Tang when it was TINY and it appeared to be a lavender Tang...it is not. It's about 5 inches now and it's a 2 spot bristletooth..I think. I need help with my sand it's atrocious. I think that I need to add a goatfish but my Tang most certainly will kill it.

All of my fish are obese... like big fat fatties. I feed frozen, nori, and have an auto feeder for my anthias. Help.

-Should I rehome my Tang and introduce a new one the same time as goatfish? (Add moyeri and Cardinals back )

Current stock list:
-Mocha domino clown male
-Black ice clown female
-Coral beauty- 3"
-One spot foxface 6"
-Vlrolrik wrasse 6"
-Red bar anthias 4-5"
-Marine betta 7-8"
-5 Talbot damsels (I know...had a year and get along bc they have plenty of room...I secretly love them)
-2 corals only
Why do you feel that you cannot remove sand due to housing a wrasse? I have kept a green bird wrasse for 9 yrs in tank w/crushed coral. And my substrate isn't fine. He buries w/o issue. I am surprised your tang is such a bully. I have kept large tangs w/smaller fish and the only aggression they show is toward larger fish. They ignore the smaller guys as not worth their time.

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you feel that you cannot remove sand due to housing a wrasse? I have kept a green bird wrasse for 9 yrs in tank w/crushed coral. And my substrate isn't fine. He buries w/o issue. I am surprised your tang is such a bully. I have kept large tangs w/smaller fish and the only aggression they show is toward larger fish. They ignore the smaller guys as not worth their time.
I know this tang has turned into a nightmare. It's been spiked by my foxface several times, I have no clue why it's so vicious.

Does your wrasse not get cut up from the crushed coral? My Vlrolrik just slinks into it nicely but my moyeri darts in pretty fast.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, add another tang first. My Tomini tang would beat up on my LT tang in the QT tank. Then, when my LT tang actually grew the Tomini got beat up a few times and is now a model citizen. I would add a Acanthuris tang. Maybe a Powder blue or Brown tang, or Gold Rim tang. I have 3 tangs in my 120 gal tank, a Lt Tang, a Gold Rim tang, and a Tomini Tang.

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, add another tang first. My Tomini tang would beat up on my LT tang in the QT tank. Then, when my LT tang actually grew the Tomini got beat up a few times and is now a model citizen. I would add a Acanthuris tang. Maybe a Powder blue or Brown tang, or Gold Rim tang. I have 3 tangs in my 120 gal tank, a Lt Tang, a Gold Rim tang, and a Tomini Tang.
Oh I like this. Didn't think about that! I could add a larger Tang and the goatfish together then maybe?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I like this. Didn't think about that! I could add a larger Tang and the goatfish together then maybe?
That is the key, adding multiple at the same time. Your Bristletooth singles out any fish and any new edition the same. I am in the process of upgrading and plan on adding several tangs at one time. Its the only way for it to work.

I mentioned the Powder Blue, Powder Brown, and Gold Rim tang as I feel they will work well in your tank. Most others need a 6ft tank or longer as they grow rather big and need plenty of room to swim. Maybe even a Yellow tang if you can get them.

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the key, adding multiple at the same time. Your Bristletooth singles out any fish and any new edition the same. I am in the process of upgrading and plan on adding several tangs at one time. Its the only way for it to work.

I mentioned the Powder Blue, Powder Brown, and Gold Rim tang as I feel they will work well in your tank. Most others need a 6ft tank or longer as they grow rather big and need plenty of room to swim. Maybe even a Yellow tang if you can get them.
Thanks for the advice. I will check my LFS I think they had a powder brown but may have to goatfish from LA unless they can do a special order for me!

Fishagent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this tang has turned into a nightmare. It's been spiked by my foxface several times, I have no clue why it's so vicious.

Does your wrasse not get cut up from the crushed coral? My Vlrolrik just slinks into it nicely but my moyeri darts in pretty fast.
No, he's in pristine health. The buoyancy of the saltwater makes each particle lightweight, he's a big boy, also the substrate is old and not particularly sharp, some of it has broken down into sand, although he quick dives into the gravel w/o concern.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try taping a mirror to the front of your tank. I did this when I introduced my chocolate tang into my display tank with an already established kole tang. The kole tang chased his reflection for three days and when I removed it there was no longer any aggression. My kole has now started bullying my only female lyretail anthia so the mirror is once again taped to the front of my tank.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kole tang was the same way when I had him in a 55 gallon he was still small moved him to a 150 and he's peaceful except him and my diamond goby are always at war the goby grew quick though and holds his ground

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try taping a mirror to the front of your tank. I did this when I introduced my chocolate tang into my display tank with an already established kole tang. The kole tang chased his reflection for three days and when I removed it there was no longer any aggression. My kole has now started bullying my only female lyretail anthia so the mirror is once again taped to the front of my tank.
Yes the mirror. It turns mine into a further loon when I take it away! It's like it almost make it more aggressive. Just a mean little fish.

DarkReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just noticed today that my 2 spot bristletooth is diving for my Allen's Sandsifter Goby whenever it's out and about. It's only small, maybe around 1" but it really seems to be out for the Goby.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just noticed today that my 2 spot bristletooth is diving for my Allen's Sandsifter Goby whenever it's out and about. It's only small, maybe around 1" but it really seems to be out for the Goby.
That can happen. Bristletooth tangs hate lawnmower blennies and sometimes hate sandsifting gobies. The first one is easier to figure out, as they eat the same thing. I had a C. truncatus chase a diamond goby out of a 90 gallon.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all!

Current stock list:
-Mocha domino clown male
-Black ice clown female
-Coral beauty- 3"
-One spot foxface 6"
-Vlrolrik wrasse 6"
-Red bar anthias 4-5"
-Marine betta 7-8"
-2 corals only
It seems strange that a tang would kill grammas, blennies, etc. Are you 100% sure the tang is responsible?
If you are and its really that bad I would not get another tang, unless you rehome it, because a blenny killing tang that has established territory is not going to be happy about a real threat. I just rehomed a bully yellow I had and let me tell you the worry it took of my mind and the peaceful tank I now have was well worth it.

OP
OP
AMBER NICHOLS

AMBER NICHOLS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems strange that a tang would kill grammas, blennies, etc. Are you 100% sure the tang is responsible?
If you are and its really that bad I would not get another tang, unless you rehome it, because a blenny killing tang that has established territory is not going to be happy about a real threat. I just rehomed a bully yellow I had and let me tell you the worry it took of my mind and the peaceful tank I now have was well worth i
I am pretty sure. The lawnmower blenny bullying was pretty relentless. Royal gramma bullying was never a thing until close to the end. It's ruthless and the mirror trick seemed to make it more aggressive. I am on the look for a powder brown currently. I have a couple new fish in QT right now. I am going to keep them there until I can introduce them with a tang. I am hoping adding 4-5 new fish at once will help rebalance things. I have had that tang since it was itty bitty. If it goes on a rampage then I will trap and take to my LFS for a new home.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back