My tank is dying and I don’t know why!!! I’m frustrated and sad, please help!

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure eitnhas been said a 1000x salinity 1.025-1.027 seems to be sweet spot, temp 76-80° (keep mine at 79) do not wash carbon bags or any filter stuff with anything but ro water for right now until tank is leveled out. dOnt wash hands with anything but ro if putting in the tank. And let it run after you have done all this for a few weeks to stable out. Then try a coral. Low salinity is a big thing imo

I’ll give it a shot

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing some research about my black sand. I’ve read a lot of other people reporting that it is magnetic but they have had no side effects. Are they just lucky? do you all still recommend I remove my sand?

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked Kh. It is a little low at 6.7. But according to my test kit it is still in the safe range? This most likely is low because I recently switched to an RODI system. Our tap water has higher alk, but the RODI water tests lower in alk. I will start dosing alk today

I'm assuming that you've been using tap water for most of the time the tank has been running. That's more of a potential problem than your black sand. I used Carrib-Sea Hawaiian black sand for 5 years and still have most of the corals I grew in that tank. I chose white for my new build because of boredom after 5 years of black. There was a problem a loooong time ago with Tahitian Moon black, but not Carrib -Sea. I hate to see you go down a rabbit hole about your sand.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming that you've been using tap water for most of the time the tank has been running. That's more of a potential problem than your black sand. I used Carrib-Sea Hawaiian black sand for 5 years and still have most of the corals I grew in that tank. I chose white for my new build because of boredom after 5 years of black. There was a problem a loooong time ago with Tahitian Moon black, but not Carrib -Sea. I hate to see you go down a rabbit hole about your sand.

I have been using well water previously. But I’ve been using the same well water for over a year . Never had any issues before and corals have thrived. I’ve heard similar about the Caribsea, but is it supposed to be magnetic??

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I ordered a triton test, so it should be here this week. I will share my results on this thread when I get them back.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using well water previously. But I’ve been using the same well water for over a year previously. Never had any issues before and corals have thrived. I’ve heard similar about the Caribsea, but is it supposed to be magnetic??

I never ran a magnet thru mine so I can't say. Regardless, it doesn't kill corals. I grew acros, euphyllia, and anemones, etc. Also, I added a new bag yearly to replace the sand lost from vacuuming.

Jman76

Keeper of Greens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I just did the magnet test. I barely touched the sand in one area and all this clung to the magnet. Does this mean I need to get the sand out ASAP or should I send off a triton test first? Also, I have a seachem copper test kit for when I treat fish. Would it be worth a shot to test the tank for copper with that?
49216FD0-0A02-4CDB-BD4A-F98241276C3E.jpeg
What the?!?! This is Caribsea Hawaiian black aragonite?

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never ran a magnet thru mine so I can't say. Regardless, it doesn't kill corals. I grew acros, euphyllia, and anemones, etc. Also, I added a new bag yearly to replace the sand lost from vacuuming.

Hmmm, I wonder if certain batches could have metals and some not?

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your experiences. I've not run such a deep sand bed in years. Mine is about 2 at the most. Several people suggested removing the sand. You can remove the sand bed a little at a time during water changes so that is is not massive change to your system. Then you can always add new sand back in a little bit at a time as well. I've been doing that, just using a 2" dia PVC and funnel and placing the new sand where you want it.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's crazy. I had no idea. I have the same stuff, no issues so far. It's pretty stuff, but seeing that magnet test makes me wonder. I hope you get it figured, you have lots of help. Be interesting to see that ICP

Yeah, I’ve never heard of it being magnetic before now. I’ll be sure to share the ICP

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your experiences. I've not run such a deep sand bed in years. Mine is about 2 at the most. Several people suggested removing the sand. You can remove the sand bed a little at a time during water changes so that is is not massive change to your system. Then you can always add new sand back in a little bit at a time as well. I've been doing that, just using a 2" dia PVC and funnel and placing the new sand where you want it.

That’s a good idea with the PVC. thanks!

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I wonder if certain batches could have metals and some not?

Not likely. If Caribsea was actually killing reef tanks all over the world with their black sand, I kinda feel like they would have pulled it. They aren't a fly-by-night company.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not likely. If Caribsea was actually killing reef tanks all over the world with their black sand, I kinda feel like they would have pulled it. They aren't a fly-by-night company.

That’s what I think, and it gets great reviews. I only saw a handful of reviews say it had magnetic properties.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I think, and it gets great reviews. I only saw a handful of reviews say it had magnetic properties.

It definitely has magnetic properties because black sand contains an iron oxide known as magnetite. That's why it's so easy to scratch the glass if you use a magnetic scraper to remove algae. So be careful about that. But as far as a coral killer, nope.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What he said ^^. I have the same sand, why it's magnetic: Volcanic minerals and lava fragments commonly have magnetite in them. Magnetite is a type of iron oxide that is naturally occurring, and it is what makes black sand magnetic. ... Because of its color, this sand gets much hotter than regular sand.

sfairtx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have a Poly-Filter pad in my sump. That pulls out all kinds of stuff from your water. Also changes color based on what its pulls out. That could help slow the dying and perhaps give you a clue. Good luck!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • None.

Votes: 34 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back