My three year old killed my FOWLR tank with a can of coke.

Somethingsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a kid, I got the brilliant idea of ramming my Pedal Car into the Hubcaps of my Dad’s car. He sold the Pedal Car, and took me to the store, with Cash in hand, and bought new Hubcaps. Lesson learned, and I’ll never forget that. BTW, no Three Year Old, should be Drinking Pepsi’s or any other “Soft Drink.”
Well. He wasn’t drinking any sodas f any kind but like all kids they can be handfuls at times and get into things they shouldn’t. He’s also 3. Should my daughter raid the babies piggy bank? Not helpful bud!

OP
OP
grynning4fish

grynning4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was a kid, I got the brilliant idea of ramming my Pedal Car into the Hubcaps of my Dad’s car. He sold the Pedal Car, and took me to the store, with Cash in hand, and bought new Hubcaps. Lesson learned, and I’ll never forget that. BTW, no Three Year Old, should be Drinking Pepsi’s or any other “Soft Drink.”
MY THREE YEAR OLD. Was not drinking the pop… he found it on the counter. If he wants a sip of a soft drink I’ll give him a sip, I don’t hand out full pops to MY child thank you for the parenting advice.. wasn’t aware this site was for parenting, thought it was aquarium advice.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It will be digested by denitrifying bacteria and lowering nitrates, similar as mentioned to sugar dosing
Do a water change and then Add liquid bacteria such as MicroBacter XLM and also brightwell nitrate boost although regular feedings will bring nitrates up again

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my brother was 16 or 17 he convinced a bartender to give him a keg "for my dad". Does that make my dad a bad parent? Sorry, had to be done.

Kids are a handful at any age. Honestly. Adults are too. Hope your tank recovers nicely.

OP
OP
grynning4fish

grynning4fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my brother was 16 or 17 he convinced a bartender to give him a keg "for my dad". Does that make my dad a bad parent? Sorry, had to be done.

Kids are a handful at any age. Honestly. Adults are too. Hope your tank recovers nicely.
Thank you

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of could be the effect of the caffeine possibly causing the death of the fish? Or perhaps it resulted in a quick PH shift as soda is quite acidic (coke around 2.3 ph)

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can only think of sugar causing bacteria to reproduce fast which would take down o2 levels and cause fish to suffocate. Yet didn't expect a can of coke to have that effect. Did u get a bacteria bloom?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back