My trusty old Vertex RODI unit has died...

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of my favorite reef equipment investments to date has been my Vertex Puratek Deluxe 200 GPD RODI system. Today it seems to have finally died. I'm not mechanically inclined enough to diagnose it for sure, but if I had to guess, I'd say it's the solenoid or the brain that has quit working. Usually the source water hits it and then the solenoid kicks in to allow the water through and then turns on the booster pump... Well, the countdown happens, but the solenoid doesn't click. Any ideas? Unfortunately, Vertex is no longer in business, so I don't think there's much chance of getting anyone to service it... I need to just chunk the whole unit and buy a new one? Like I said, this was one of my absolutely favorite pieces of equipment... sad day...

20201028_154437.jpg

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a relay or the pump itself is dead. Can you not turn the pump on manually?

Worst case you could buy another separate booster pump and continue to use the containers/filters on that one.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got your moneys worth out of it, now you need to put a coat of clear acrylic paint on it, mount it on a nice board and retire it to a nice spot in your fish room as a piece of "retro hall of fame gear".

You deserve a new BRS unit

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like a relay is dead. Can you not turn the pump on manually?

Worst case you could buy another separate booster pump and continue to use the containers/filters on that one.
I don't know of any way to turn it on manually. I wonder if I could replace the relay.
RO/DI cant die. Just route around that pump.
I might try that. I need to make some water. Ugh. I've not actually dug into the guts of these things before.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You got your moneys worth out of it, now you need to put a coat of clear acrylic paint on it, mount it on a nice board and retire it to a nice spot in your fish room as a piece of "retro hall of fame gear".

You deserve a new BRS unit
Ha! Maybe...

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I just tried pulling it apart some to see what I might need to bypass...this things is really hi-tech with the solenoids and relays and being that it's 200 GPD with the 2 membranes... I may need some help figuring out what I need to do to reroute it. Anybody up for helping me do surgery on an RODI unit? :D

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I don't know of any way to turn it on manually. I wonder if I could replace the relay.

I might try that. I need to make some water. Ugh. I've not actually dug into the guts of these things before.

You wont have any trouble just remove the electronic parts and run it as a regular RODI. Only problem is if you do have low water pressure you‘ll just have to buy a new booster first.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
AquaMaxx now makes a Puratek RODI. Wondering if the parts may be compatible.
Good thought. I'd imagine there's at least some compatibility

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Well, I just tried pulling it apart some to see what I might need to bypass...this things is really hi-tech with the solenoids and relays and being that it's 200 GPD with the 2 membranes... I may need some help figuring out what I need to do to reroute it. Anybody up for helping me do surgery on an RODI unit? :D

Aha just run one membrane And disconnect the other.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aha just one 1 membrane And disconnect the other.
How bad is it that I'm still not sure how I'd need to reroute it...? I know the order of the prefilters. It's once I get past those that I'm not sure what I'd be looking at.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to try and figure this out. I need the water...so basically, step 1 is disconnect everything? Then from there just set it up as a normal RODI setup?

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hmm maybe a few more pics, But I’m thinking go prefilters then into the RO, Then to the DI. Should be good to go Unless this membrane only functions at a certain high pressure. But you can always test it without the DI attached for 90% exclusion and if it is working your good to go attach the DI and youre all set.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmm maybe a few more pics, But I’m thinking go prefilters then into the RO, Then to the DI. Should be good to go Unless this membrane only functions at a certain high pressure. But you can always test it without the DI attached for 90% exclusion and if it is working your good to go attach the DI and youre all set.
How would I test that? Is it just checking the TDS?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got it apart...now I'm working on putting it back together... LOL

I'm looking at the pump, and it looks like it operates off of 110v. I wonder if I could put a regular plug on the end of it, or would I need some kind of pressure switch to turn it on and off.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Got it apart...now I'm working on putting it back together... LOL

I'm looking at the pump, and it looks like it operates off of 110v. I wonder if I could put a regular plug on the end of it, or would I need some kind of pressure switch to turn it on and off.

Yes if it is standard 110v then you could just connect a plug and use it mannually.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK. To be sure I have this right... the one on top is the product and the one bottom is waste, right?

20201028_174815.jpg

Back