My trusty old Vertex RODI unit has died...

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
OK. To be sure I have this right... the one on top is the product and the one bottom is waste, right?

20201028_174815.jpg
Not certain but if you hook the water up then it will come out a lot fast from the waste line.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The waste line should be the lower outlet
Hmm maybe a few more pics, But I’m thinking go prefilters then into the RO, Then to the DI. Should be good to go Unless this membrane only functions at a certain high pressure. But you can always test it without the DI attached for 90% exclusion and if it is working your good to go attach the DI and youre all set.
This ^^^...only thing is, you will need to get the pump working, unless you have real high water pressure in your home, in order to use both RO membranes, first RO-M will drop your pressure too low for the second RO-M to work...if you do get any product water out, it will be very little, and will take forever. If you can't get pump working, bypass second membrane, will cut your output to roughly half of normal capacity, 100 gpd instead of 200, but at least you'll be able to make water.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No luck (even with just 1 membrane). I'm guessing the pressure isn't enough to push the water through the membrane. :-(

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In case you need a diagram (I have a digital copy of the complete manual if you need it) ;)
Screenshot_20201028-203312_Drive.jpg
I would remove to low pressure switch and the high pressure switch from the mix and install a manual valve in their place until you can figure out where the issue is

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk if someone else already said this.. but Bulk Reef Supply is hving a sitewide sale (including rodi) today if you do end up wanting a new one

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
its all going out the waste line? you may need to add a valve to throttle the waste then. You may just need to add a flow restrictor to boost up the pressure. Also you can still wire up that booster pump.
I have a flow restrictor, and until I removed it I wasn't getting any water out of either line (which seemed weird). Removing the restrictor allowed water out the waste line.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have a flow restrictor, and until I removed it I wasn't getting any water out of either line (which seemed weird). Removing the restrictor allowed water out the waste line.

ok and when you removed the restrictor then all the water was rushing out of the waste line? You’ll have to get the booster pump set up if thats the case.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
There is something wrong with that because a flow restrictor still allows water to pass through. Are you sure all the chambers were all the way full?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No luck with getting the booster pump to work?
I think it operates off the relay which I think is what has gone out.

There is something wrong with that because a flow restrictor still allows water to pass through. Are you sure all the chambers were all the way full?
Yeah. I think so. When I removed the restrictor, the water came out the waste at a pretty high rate.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think it operates off the relay which I think is what has gone out.

Yeah. I think so. When I removed the restrictor, the water came out the waste at a pretty high rate.

Hmm and not even a trickle from the RO even if you have the waste line totally blocked off.? If that’s the case then the only option would be a new booster pump.

face

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
You could also see if that pressure gauge will tell you the pressure of your system. That would tell you for sure if you need a booster pump. Can’t think of what else it could be though.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening Daniel,

Sorry to heat about the loss. Vertex made the bomb stuff. I used to have their skimmer, biopellet reactor when it first came out, and an Rx reactor. All great stuff.

My suggestion is wait until BRS opens tomorrow. It looks like you have all the stuff you need. The question you need to know is how high is the pressure coming into the house, this will determine if you need a booster pump or not. Then do you know what rejection rate membrane you have and last time you changed it. Then you need a flow restrictor to match.

My suggestio is call BRS, use this opportunity to do a full swap. Get new sediment, carbon and DI. Them see if they say you need a pump or not. Get an in-line tds meter if you do not have one. Get a new membrane and flow restrictor to match and you should be good.

not as fancy as vertex, but a clean new set up and not too much unless you need the pump

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So? Hanging here. You just buy a whole new unit?

You can always pour tap water thru 27 Brita jugs and that works just as well. ;Nailbiting

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 96 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back