New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
What have you settled on for the equipment placement and layout of your filtration compartment?

Chamber 1: Flitter Floss and Cobalt Heater
Chamber 2: Bio Blocks

Chamber 3:
stock return pump(MightyJet 538 GPH Return Pump ) although I would like to upgrade to two pumps, and Aqueon heater
Chamber 4: IM Midsize Skimmer
Chamber 5: Media Caddy

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started this office tank before any of the COVID-19 craziness started. It wasn't even a possibility that I would be away from work for weeks/months. Now with more and more places getting shut down I'm starting to plan, and re-plan what to do for my tank if I can't be here.

FEEDING- I had decided against an automatic feeder when first planing a tank. Looking at the pros and cons it didn't seem worth it, the fish could go a couple days without eating. Now there could be no options. I bought the EHEIM feeder. I have it set up right now to feed once a day. This way I can monitor it and see how much it is dumping out and make sure it is working properly. The nice thing about this one is you can feed up to four times a day, and do two feedings each time.

REDUNDANCY- I've already added two heaters so if one goes the other will cover it. I finally ordered a second return pump so now I will have each one going to one return instead of one being split between the two. Again if one fails the other can still be working and cycling water.

MAINTENANCE- I would love to get a refuguim up and running, but I'm just not sure if I will be able to pull together everything I need. However, this would help with water changes while I'm gone to have another method to process out nutrients.

ATO- This is the one I'm most concerned with. I currently have a 7 gallon ATO which usually last about two weeks before it needs to be filled again. I keep it full and then I have brought in 6 gallons of extra water to be on hand in case I am out of the office but others are around. While I have not had other people involved in the tank, I may need to have people doing something to help out.

I work at a Utility so we are deemed essential, which means I will be able to come to work every day as long as the current situation stays the same. However, my husband works at a hospital so there is a risk of him bringing it home. I'm hoping that both of us will stay healthy, but just trying to have my backup plan if something changes.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sabina shared this video with my on my other build thread and I thought it would be perfect for here as well.

One of the things he hits on is a refugium. So I'm going to double down my efforts on getting one started. I've already started to pull together some stuff on Amazon.

The first is a Fuge Basket. I'm just not sure this is necessary or not?

The second is lights. One of the other 30L tanks I follow uses these light. He has said though that two might be better, and at that price I might as well start with two.

Now I'm just wondering what Macro to pick. I know most people go with Chaeto, but I'm wondering if that is right for such a small area. Maybe something that grows up and down, instead of in a ball would be better.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights arrived yesterday so today I decided to cut the film on the back and peal it away. It was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be. I used an X-acto knife to cut the film and then pulled it away.
4A04463E-8AC8-4F3C-A105-330C57AD0827.jpeg

The lights have this lip on both ends so I couldn't put them flush against the glass, the way I had planned. So instead to attached them I used some good old fashion duck tape. Not the prettiest, but seems to get the job done. I am slightly worried about the heat the lights are putting off.
FC75567E-E5F4-48DD-BF61-D0FAEF122815.jpeg
1DFEA298-A9DA-4D26-9F1D-080BF85EC5B1.jpeg

I have them on a timer and have it set to run 8 hours during lights out on the tank. I will adjust the time as needed to keep nutrients low, but not zero. Tomorrow I get in my fuge basket, and maybe tomorrow I will get my chaeto as well, not sure when that is shipping. I had hoped to buy it locally, but with everything going on it wasn't possible.
C050FF48-8D31-4669-8DC4-C644BAC82DD6.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, we will have to see. One of the issues I've heard is that there is little flow in the chambers so the chaeto doesn't tumble. I've thought maybe if I stir it up each day might help some.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This chaeto is growing like crazy, I’m pretty excited about it as I went with some cheaper lights. I’ve also seen a drop in my Phosphates from .37 to .22. I’ll be watching that closely as I don’t want it to bottom out.
8762A7C4-0070-42E8-BFCF-44307251BE71.jpeg

I also bought a couple new corals that are acclimating right now. Once they’ve settled I’ll post some pictures

mcshams

Slave to my wife's reef desires
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh man. I haven’t named anything in my home tank and I’ve had no issue... man now I think I’ve jinked myself.
We've always named our fish...and I would agree, it seems to hurt more when something bad happens...but we find their personalities so unique that we still fall into the habit of naming them.

Great office tank. I have a freshwater office tank as I can't get myself to do the saltwater at the office and not freak out about it. I love yours!

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added some new corals yesterday and they are settling in nicely.

I added a Blue Grey Sinularia
B98CF042-4D06-40B7-BA75-7B14456158C9.jpeg

Yellow Elegance Toadstool
9AD73BB2-9AD7-413B-A9D8-AF4B62F978C4.jpeg

Pink Gorgonian
38978073-C5A5-43B0-838B-D973B7983EE7.jpeg

I'm not 100% on the placement of these yet, I will probably move them around a little as they start to grow, but this seemed to work for the time being. I really liked the rockwork before I started to add corals, but now I'm finding it a little difficult.

6C6952EE-10C8-47BF-9A04-A7AF3D715BD9.jpeg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monthly update

The tank is going well. Chaeto is growing nicely in the back and everything else seems good. There are a couple corals I am having a hard time finding their happy place. Both are toadstool and they just never seem happy where they are. I think I have finally found a place the yellow one is happy, next I need to get the purple on happy.

Here are some pictures of the tank. and some new additions. I've decided that the tank will be mostly a zoa garden on one side and a mushroom garden on the other, with a couple other softies in there. And of course my elegance and duncan, just for fun.

FULL TANK SHOT
FTS 6.12.202.jpg

MUSHROOM GARDEN
Mushroom rock.jpg

ZOA ARCH
Zoa Arch.jpg

ZOA GARDEN
Zoa Rock.jpg

URCHIN-also with a zoa hitch hiker
Urchin.jpg

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monthly update

The tank is going well. Chaeto is growing nicely in the back and everything else seems good. There are a couple corals I am having a hard time finding their happy place. Both are toadstool and they just never seem happy where they are. I think I have finally found a place the yellow one is happy, next I need to get the purple on happy.

Here are some pictures of the tank. and some new additions. I've decided that the tank will be mostly a zoa garden on one side and a mushroom garden on the other, with a couple other softies in there. And of course my elegance and duncan, just for fun.

FULL TANK SHOT
FTS 6.12.202.jpg

MUSHROOM GARDEN
Mushroom rock.jpg

ZOA ARCH
Zoa Arch.jpg

ZOA GARDEN
Zoa Rock.jpg

URCHIN-also with a zoa hitch hiker
Urchin.jpg
Looks great! I like the idea of the different sections like Zoa Arch, Mushroom Garden, etc.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse my terrible iPhone pictures, with no lenses. I wanted to add some pictures of the individual zoas and mushrooms.

ZOAS
Twizzlers
Twizzler3.jpg
Twizzler4.jpg

Rasta
Rasta.jpg
Rasta4.jpg

Butterfly Nebula
Butterfly Nedula.jpg
Butterfly Nedula2.jpg

King Midas
King Midas.jpg
King Midas2.jpg

Fruit Loops
Fruit Loops2.jpg
Fruit Loops.jpg

Scrambled Eggs
Scrabbled Eggs3.jpg
Scrabbled Eggs2.jpg

Sunny D
Sunny D.jpg
Sunny D2.jpg

Watermelon
Watermellon6.jpg
watermellon5.jpg
Watermellon4.jpg

Nirvana
Nirvana.jpg
Nirvana2.jpg

Sour Lemon
Sour Lemon4.jpg
Sour Lemon7.jpg

Dragon's Eye
Dragon Eye.jpg

Misc freebie
boring.jpg

MUSHROOMS
Superman
Superman.jpg

Two Tone Ricordia
two tone ric.jpg

Green Frill
Green Frill.jpg

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed the other day that I had Aiptasia. While I will probably regret this in the future, I decided to go with a more natural way to get rid of them. Several sites praise peppermint shrimp. I decided to buy some for Algae Barn who claims they are specifically breed to eat it. I ordered 6 shrimp, 2 for this tank and 4 for my other. When they shipped them they came in a jar of 1 and a jar of 5. I was worried about trying to get one out of the other jar so that is how I split it. These shrimps were tiny tiny tiny. The aiptasia is bigger than the shrimp so I'm not sure how useful it is going to be, but we will try.

apistia.jpg
peppermint shrimp.jpg

Nanorock1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse my terrible iPhone pictures, with no lenses. I wanted to add some pictures of the individual zoas and mushrooms.

ZOAS
Twizzlers
Twizzler3.jpg
Twizzler4.jpg

Rasta
Rasta.jpg
Rasta4.jpg

Butterfly Nebula
Butterfly Nedula.jpg
Butterfly Nedula2.jpg

King Midas
King Midas.jpg
King Midas2.jpg

Fruit Loops
Fruit Loops2.jpg
Fruit Loops.jpg

Scrambled Eggs
Scrabbled Eggs3.jpg
Scrabbled Eggs2.jpg

Sunny D
Sunny D.jpg
Sunny D2.jpg

Watermelon
Watermellon6.jpg
watermellon5.jpg
Watermellon4.jpg

Nirvana
Nirvana.jpg
Nirvana2.jpg

Sour Lemon
Sour Lemon4.jpg
Sour Lemon7.jpg

Dragon's Eye
Dragon Eye.jpg

Misc freebie
boring.jpg

MUSHROOMS
Superman
Superman.jpg

Two Tone Ricordia
two tone ric.jpg

Green Frill
Green Frill.jpg
try putting your sunglasses in front of your phone as a way to filter out some of the blue in your pix. Depends a bit on your sunglasses but I have had a little luck with mine and better then nothing at all.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back