OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple updated photos. I've added in some more mushrooms. These were all bought at AquaSD and they name them odd things

Blue Devil Shroom
Blue Devil Shroom.jpg

Flame Carpet Rhodactis
Flame Carpet Rhodactis.jpg

Hellfire Shroom
Hellfire Shroom.jpg

Kickbutt Ricordea
Kickbutt Ricordea.jpg

Red Mushroom-Freebie, don't know the name
Misc Red mushrom.jpg

Couple shots of the other soft corals in the tank and the Zoas

Cloves and Gorg.jpg
Duncan and Sinularia.jpg
Toadstool-Yellow.jpg

Zoa Rock2.jpg

robs.mark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome little tank. It’s going to look amazing once it grows out. How did you approach your manager about setting up a reef at work?

if you have any issues with the ATO I’d like to recommend the Smart Nano ATO

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,two in one day :rolleyes: i will catch up,you'll know:):)

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What an awesome little tank. It’s going to look amazing once it grows out. How did you approach your manager about setting up a reef at work?

if you have any issues with the ATO I’d like to recommend the Smart Nano ATO

Thanks, I’m thinking it’s going to be a good little Lagoon.

This is a typical day at my job, actually this picture is missing two.
FF4A629F-13AB-4776-8BF8-331550208C51.jpeg

Here is one of the missing
D6790F65-F8F0-472F-AE50-8D4BAD323A9A.jpeg

Here is the cat
9DD1879D-DCB8-448D-9163-B1F4C682A182.jpeg

So the fish tank wasn’t a hard sell. Everyone really enjoys it.

For ATO I have the Tunze Universal. I’ve liked it so far, and I like it has several backup features. However, I’m always up for new equipment.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great!! Very nice job! We can’t even have a crockpot at work without the “professionals” inspecting outlets and power strips and crockpots. I’m totally jealous you can have this at work!!

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks great!! Very nice job! We can’t even have a crockpot at work without the “professionals” inspecting outlets and power strips and crockpots. I’m totally jealous you can have this at work!!

Lol, yes it's nice ... however, it has it's down sides as well. It's basically like the wild west in here
wild west.gif

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't updated in awhile so here goes. I cleaned the skimmer, pulled it all apart, soaked it in Citric Acid, scrubbed it down, and put it back together. It is finally pulling some dark skimmate. I don't know if it was because it wasn't working correctly before, or if I have got to a point in the tank where I have more to pull out, but I'm not complaining.

I am also having a hard time with flow in the tank. On one side I have a bunch of mushrooms. I felt like they were getting blown around and curling up so I moved one of my power heads to the back. It still seemed to be too much flow for them so I lowered the flow from the return. It now seems to be good for them, however, I am worried about my other corals and if the flow will be too low. I guess I will have to watch them over the next couple weeks to see if I notice anything with them.

I bought some more mushrooms as well. A couple during the WWC sale and on their eBay auctions. They all seem to have settled in nicely, although I think I am running out of room now and probably wont be getting any more. I guess I will just have to see how it all fills in.

Lastly my peppermint shrimp seems to have done the trick and the aiptasia is gone. However, I also have a zoa frag that was doing great and has now slowly disappeared. I'm not sure if the peppermint would eat a zoa, but something is sure having a snack at night when I'm not around.

Plasma Protopaylythoa
Plasma Protopaylythoa.jpg

Blue Haze Yuma
blue haze yuma shroom.jpg

Lava Lamps
Lava Lamp shroom.jpg
Lava Lamp twins-shroom.jpg

Red and Blue mushroom
Red mushroom.jpg
Blue mushroom.jpg

Radioactive Fuzzy Rhodactis
Radioactive Fuzzy Rhodactis.jpg

Full Tank Shot with and without blues
FTS 8.12.20.jpg

FTS 8.10.20.jpg

Mushroom Garden
Mushroom rock 8.12.20.jpg

Zoa Garden
Zoa Rock 8.12.20.jpg

Zoa Arch 8.12.20.jpg

My Urchin now has three different zoa on his back, so he is basically a Zoa Garden as well
Urchin Zoa.jpg

NOHtorious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank looks great. Out of curiosity, when you put the fuge in, did you remove all your bio blocks? I assume there isn't enough room to put in the fuge and keep the bio blocks? I'm thinking perhaps I can add some Marinepure media to the bottom of the media rack in lieu of using the second chamber to gain some surface area but wonder if that's being redundant with the fuge. Also, has anyone tried putting in Tunze EcoChic Waterproof LED bar into the fuge? I wonder if it fits there? That way, you don't have to cut out the black back panel? I suspect it's a bit too long as it's 12". I wonder if there are submersible growth lights that are used for hydrophonics that can be dropped in to the fuge? Hmmm.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, your tank looks great. Out of curiosity, when you put the fuge in, did you remove all your bio blocks? I assume there isn't enough room to put in the fuge and keep the bio blocks? I'm thinking perhaps I can add some Marinepure media to the bottom of the media rack in lieu of using the second chamber to gain some surface area but wonder if that's being redundant with the fuge. Also, has anyone tried putting in Tunze EcoChic Waterproof LED bar into the fuge? I wonder if it fits there? That way, you don't have to cut out the black back panel? I suspect it's a bit too long as it's 12". I wonder if there are submersible growth lights that are used for hydrophonics that can be dropped in to the fuge? Hmmm.

Yes, i pulled the bio blocks when I put the fuge in. However, in the chamber next to the fuge I had just a bunch of filter floss. I removed that and put in some more live rock and then I put a sponge on top of it to at least catch some of the big particle. I looked into lights to submerge as well. I really didn't want to peel the back film off. However, in you use the media basket there is very little room to put a light. As the space is already small so I didn't want to use any of it up with a submerged light.

NOHtorious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see. I saw Marin Depot's Will-It-Fit video and wondered if I should just sacrifice one of the filter baskets and put my protein skimmer there (Tunze fits there). Then keep bio blocks/themostat etc in the second. Dedicated fuge then the filter basket. Do you think it'll be bad to have only one filter basket?

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine currently is

Live rock, heater, sponge
Fuge
Return pump
skimmer
media basket with sponge, carbon, and GFO

I have seen people run them all different ways with great success. What type of tank do you want? Softy, LPS, SPS.

NOHtorious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly Softy and LPS. I know there is no one right way to do things so want to try a few things and learn from my own doing vs. simply reading from everyone's build thread. For this tank, I have heard people say "no skimmer, no fuge, just water change" to "skimmer, fuge, no need for water change".... Unfortunately, I live in Manhattan in an apartment building so the storage space is limited. I won't be able to keep all the equipment around, mount rodi equipment and store 20 gallons of water etc. To be honest, my biggest concern is how I am going to make/store my own rodi water for the ATO and the water change :-( Anyway, I am learning a lot and will get things moving in a month or so.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mostly Softy and LPS. I know there is no one right way to do things so want to try a few things and learn from my own doing vs. simply reading from everyone's build thread. For this tank, I have heard people say "no skimmer, no fuge, just water change" to "skimmer, fuge, no need for water change".... Unfortunately, I live in Manhattan in an apartment building so the storage space is limited. I won't be able to keep all the equipment around, mount rodi equipment and store 20 gallons of water etc. To be honest, my biggest concern is how I am going to make/store my own rodi water for the ATO and the water change :-( Anyway, I am learning a lot and will get things moving in a month or so.

Yes, my ultimate goal is to limit water changes as much as possible. This tank is at my office so I have no way to make water here, I have to bring it from home. I picked an all softy tank as they wont require dosing or pristine clean water. Currently I am still doing a water change weekly, however, this is my first week going to a 2 week schedule and so far so good. My biggest concern is Nitrates and Phosphates creeping up so I have been watching that over the last two weeks and I seem to have enough filtration to handle them.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought here. I had a tank at work and one thing I did not consider, they turned off the air on Friday night until Monday morning. I was wondering why I was having algae outbreaks, that is why.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought here. I had a tank at work and one thing I did not consider, they turned off the air on Friday night until Monday morning. I was wondering why I was having algae outbreaks, that is why.

Interesting, I work for a utility so the office is always "open" with people around. The problem I had in the beginning was people wanted to feed the fish on the weekends if they came in. The issues was three people would come in... at three different times, and all three would feed them. So I go an automatic feeder, and then it made everyone feel better like they weren't starving.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed I hadn't updated this in a couple months. In sad news the YWG disappeared one day. I hoped he was just hiding but after a couple weeks of not seeing him I decided he was dead :(. So I decided to get a new goby for the pistol shrimp. I was looking on Live Aquaria and saw in Divers Den they had a bonded pair of gobys. I bought those and added them into the tank. It took maybe 30 mins and both were in the shrimps hole... and then all H.E. Double hockey sticks broke out. The shrimp was NOT happy. He starting snapping the loudest I've ever hard and both come flying out the hole. Then the two start to fight with each other. Finally one is banished to the other side of the tank and the winner goes back in the hole. More loud snapping and out he comes again. The next day the banished one is dead, the other had made friends with the goby and he is leading him in and out of the hole. Then in the afternoon again I heard very loud snapping and I haven't seen the other goby since. It has been about two weeks. Now I'm not sure if I should try again or if he is just going to be a lone wolf.

Couple of updated pictures of the corals
FTS 10.22.20.jpg
Hellfire Shroom 10.22.20.jpg
Blue mushroom 10.22.20.jpg
two tone ric 10.22.20.jpg
blue haze yuma shroom 10.22.20.jpg
Red mushroom 10.22.20.jpg
Zoa arch 10.22.202.jpg
Zoa arch 10.22.20.jpg
Clove polups.jpg

Zoa garden 10.22.20.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,corals look great ,tuff call on adding another?? :)

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi,corals look great ,tuff call on adding another?? :)

I'm debating getting another Yellow and quarantining him and then adding him in. The last pair were from Divers Den... and they claim to quarantine, so I just put them into the tank. I can't rule out that they didn't die for some other reason.

OP
OP
New&no clue

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some zoas for the tank and another toadstool. I also was able to pull out a GIANT bristle worm. The worm had to be 6-8 inches when he was all stretched out. Of course, later in the day, I saw his twin brother was still in there, but at least I got one out. I also added a couple of emerald crabs to take care of the gha, they don't seem interested, and I added a 6 line wrasse.

Still debating on if I should add another YWG. My LFS has one, but I haven't decided yet. Maybe if it is still there in a couple weeks I'll think it's fate and go pick it up.

bristle worm.jpg

toadstool and zoa.jpg
zoa arch 11.17.20.jpg
zoa garden 11.17.20.jpg
zoa4.jpg
zoa3.jpg
zoa.jpg

Green Goby, who rarely makes an appearance
Green Goby.jpg
Green Goby2.jpg

Clowns.jpg

emerald crab2.jpg