My unknown battle with Dinos

Bretth282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so here it goes. Yes I’m guilty. Been battling Some Tank Dino’s (STD’s) for about a month. (Get your minds strait).... lol!!! I started reading and reading and reading only to find the somewhat same information. Your stuff is too clean. I thought no way! I feed 3 to 4 times a day, rarely keep my sock cleaned, and do a 20% water change once my 5 gallons of top off water goes empty. I didn’t have any NO3 or PO4 tests so I decided to wing it. I have a 20gallon Nuvo peninsula tank, and the filter sock, the small box or marine pure gems, BRS 2 part for dosing, Maxi jet return pump and a icecap 1k gyre. I bought more food and continued to FEED! The more I fed the more nothing happened. Or so I felt. I bought more food and made sure I fed atleast 5 times a day been doing this for about 3 weeks and the slimmest brown string and continue to grow with the lights on. So about 2 weeks ago I thought well I have some MB7 so I started 4 drops every evening to the tank. Then last week I noticed my mummy eye chalice looking goofy. I tested the water for the alk, cal, and meg. Everything seemed in order. I waited a day and the chalice looked worse, and the tips on one of my acros was turning white. So I bit the bullet in efforts to dirty my water, I did a water change. 3 gallons worth, then cleaned my sock and remembered that I had the gems in the bottom of the chambers in my tank. I thought to my self maybe I better take these buggers out! So that I did too. Well half of them. I didnt want to make too many huge changes at once. We are a week from that a few drops of MB7 and a bunch of food later, and my Dino’s are slowing! But the algae is now taking over!!! I have never been so happy to see algae!!! I don’t dare say the Dino’s are gone cuz well I still see some. But it ain’t as bad as it has been! Thanks to all who have provided info on Dino’s! I’m sure I read it and you HAVE helped me. Some sweet algae shot below for y’all!!!

7D5C62AD-0922-430E-BC54-F322E9961924.jpeg 77EF7C22-1A96-4E2E-8CF1-1E7F176B67C6.jpeg 711F7730-A689-455F-8A10-FFBE28A42C52.jpeg 63BBB07B-7003-4511-9354-C523B0D4FC46.jpeg A86A7FEA-1918-425F-9100-D269F87035B1.jpeg

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same tank, had dinos. Never put anything into the water. Stopped doing weekly water change, bought the UV sterilizer that IM makes that goes in 1st chamber of sump and had dinos beat in 2 week.

OP
OP
Bretth282

Bretth282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have same tank, had dinos. Never put anything into the water. Stopped doing weekly water change, bought the UV sterilizer that IM makes that goes in 1st chamber of sump and had dinos beat in 2 week.

That there is a wise investment! Personally though I just fear of killing the good bacteria too. Particularly in a tank this small! But ya got to do what ya got to do! Thanks!!!

carguy4471

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I too have a IM fusion 20, used the IM uv sterilizer and knocked out dino in 48 hours helped by turning the tank light off. I didn't black it out, just lights off and UV.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good bacteria are on the rocks,gravel, glass, etc. I still use the UV sterilizer every night. I pull it in the morning and put the rack with floss and carbon back in. I have a RBTA,LPS,SPS and zoas and a pair of clowns that live and grow just fine.

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You guys are giving me hope! I just put the IM UV Sterilizer in my 25 Lagoon last night. I've had dinos for a very long time, but thought it was diatoms. Hoping for a quick resolution!

OP
OP
Bretth282

Bretth282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are giving me hope! I just put the IM UV Sterilizer in my 25 Lagoon last night. I've had dinos for a very long time, but thought it was diatoms. Hoping for a quick resolution!

There is hope!! Just keep on keepin on! Lol

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There is hope!! Just keep on keepin on! Lol
Thank you. I started adding MicroBacter7 yesterday. I also took a baster and manually removed a bunch this afternoon. Those two things combined with the UV and I’m about 80% clear after just 2 days.

OP
OP
Bretth282

Bretth282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t say I know that the MB7 was the cure, but it didn’t hurt I am sure. Since the initial post I have continued to feed heavier then previously. I have not yet done a “routine water Change” but probably will tomorrow. The amount of algae growing is insane! Lol. If only I could frag it and sell it! I think Dino’s is just a thing of the trade nowadays. They come and go and until we find that perfect balance in our tanks Dino’s will be a phase or stage in every Tank. Personally I have learned so much from the experience, (Dare I say greatfull) and sooo much more confident in myself. I truly feel anyone that can overcome them with patience and minor experimentation (done slowly), will successfully be able to keep a reef tank.

OP
OP
Bretth282

Bretth282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I started adding MicroBacter7 yesterday. I also took a baster and manually removed a bunch this afternoon. Those two things combined with the UV and I’m about 80% clear after just 2 days.
How is your battle? Also wondering what UV sterilizer you decide on? Seems I’m back in the fight and looking for another more permanent solution. Thanks!!!

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good. I was totally clear for quite a few days, but now I’ve got a bit of something brown on the sand again. I’m thinking it might be another kind of algae though because my clean up crew is out and about all over the tank and I hadn’t seen them for months. I actually thought they were all dead.

My tank is small, so I just got the UV sterilizer that IM makes for it.

OP
OP
Bretth282

Bretth282

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear critters are out and munching on it!! Thanks for the info. I’m going to pick one up! They seem to have great reviews and as a bonus they are cheap! I thought I was gonn have to pay a couple hundred dollars... luckily not! :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back