OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the diameter of your pump head and how much torque does your motor have?
Pump head is 31 mm and the torque of the stepper is 26Ncm.

I had a huge set back. my laptop which held all my files and programs seized up on me. I was wanting to make a few more to aid in other things such as AWC and calcium reactor. Everything that I had is now gone, and I have to restart from scratch.

Miguel Medina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting post ,,, congratulations for the project, if it is true that the project at the level of electronics is a bit obsolete in these times ... functional Yes, but very old, there are tft, clocks, wifi modules ect ect to improve it

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you know that peristaltic pumps are commercially available at your nearest hobby shop? I bought one of the first ever marketed decades ago to fuel up my radio controlled planes. They still make them today. They are accurate and fitting a motor would be simple.

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a huge set back. my laptop which held all my files and programs seized up on me. I was wanting to make a few more to aid in other things such as AWC and calcium reactor. Everything that I had is now gone, and I have to restart from scratch.
Spinning hard drive or solid state?
Old trick from doing forensics back in the day... if it's a spinning (magnetic) hd, pop it out of the laptop, put it into a ziploc and stick it into the freezer for 4-5 hours.
Then "slave" it to another laptop / computer. You might buy yourself about 20 minutes to copy files off of it.

No joke, it works well when the reason for mechanical failure is due to a head crash or warped platter. The cold temp causes the platter to shrink just enough so the heads regain the necessary space to let the platters spin freely.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well that sucks. Sorry to hear about the laptop crashing.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spinning hard drive or solid state?
Old trick from doing forensics back in the day... if it's a spinning (magnetic) hd, pop it out of the laptop, put it into a ziploc and stick it into the freezer for 4-5 hours.
Then "slave" it to another laptop / computer. You might buy yourself about 20 minutes to copy files off of it.

No joke, it works well when the reason for mechanical failure is due to a head crash or warped platter. The cold temp causes the platter to shrink just enough so the heads regain the necessary space to let the platters spin freely.

@bigcheese - thanks for sharing. This is some great info that I had no idea about. Back about 15 years ago, I sold all the chemicals used in a HD manufacturer that was in St. Louis. The place was pretty amazing and I had to go through an FBI background check in order to get into the plant. They closed their operation and moved everything to China. It was a kick in the pants, or I should say wallet, and hurt many people.

I have everything backed up to 2 external HDs and almost everything in the cloud too. Can you tell I'm a bit paranoid? Lol

Oldsalt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it'd be worth it to have somebody look at your laptop to maybe retrieve info...
If it's a mechanical hard drive you can kick start it. The freezer method does work. Also holding it and giving it a twirl like starting to spin a top (but not letting it go) both clockwise and counter-clockwise can get them going. Last ditch is to take it to a data recovery service. It sucks when this happens. I feel your pain. Been there a couple of times.

Miguel Medina

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Box
Dibujo.JPG

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it proves to stand the test of time, I would like to incorporate an arduino and possibly change out the acrylic with a 3D printed version.
Shoot... I want to be like you when I grow up. Fantastic job, great attention to appearance and detail.

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back up and running, Short of spending a few grand to send the hard drive in to have the data retrieved by professionals in a clean room, I tried the freezer method and then transferring the physical hard drive 'disk' to another hard drive with no such luck.

I chalked it up to a total loss, and moving on...

As an excuse to purchase another laptop, I bought one that would handle the robust computing power of SolidWorks. Being self taught and proficient on Google Sketchup, I heard that SolidWorks was the industry standard and pale in comparison to anything else. When I downloaded it I was surprised to find out that I had to forget everything I knew with Sketchup, and start over.

After a few weeks of frustration and a bunch of youtube videos that break it down for an idiot like me, I have graduated kindergarten and have started loving this program. I know that I have only scratched the surface of what SolidWorks can do, but I'm excited to keep learning new methods to make project building easier and quicker.

With all that being said, I always planned to incorporate an AWC unit on my 300g, and toyed with many ideas to do it (none of them required me running out and purchasing something off the shelf!!). I took this idea to the next level.

I went ahead and designed a dual head peristaltic pump that allowed for independent occlusion adjustments on both tubes, and to have a bearing support on the front side of the pump frame.

I turned to my good buddy Tom @TMB who seems to horde many different versions of the Masterflex pumps, I borrowed one of his pump heads to take it apart to see how the occlusion adjustment worked, to my surprise it was an extremely simple yet ingenious way of using an eccentric and an adjustable wedge to fine tune the unit. I could have copied that design and sourced the parts to make something similar, I opted to allow my creative juices to flow and came up with something a lot more crude and with parts I already had.

Full disclosure, after designing and printing this I came up with many small tweaks and design adjustments that would've made things a lot easier for adjustments. However I'm pleased of the design and admit that I couldn't sleep much last night knowing that the printer would finish the last piece sometime in the early morning.

here's what I came up with:

I made 6 different parts and here it is fully put together on SW
KfSwot4l.jpg

Base:
E7qYrLml.jpg

Ds56o3hl.jpg

Frame 1:
VwrnIVdl.jpg

XVVTscnl.jpg

Frame 2:
mtDTdjul.jpg

MWZNUVzl.jpg

Bearing Support:
RVGQi3Yl.jpg

XICaiswl.jpg

Hose Support:
OfQkO5Vl.jpg

KDQU4yvl.jpg

Bearing Shaft:
cj9Xi1pl.jpg

bP480e7l.jpg

Fully assembled:
oz105zHl.jpg

And a quick video testing the flow to determine what adjustments were necessary:
"

Now I have to search out some JG fittings with 3mm barbs on one side so that I can get this guy rockin' and rolling!!!

Thanks for viewing!!!

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an excuse to purchase another laptop, I bought one that would handle the robust computing power of SolidWorks. Being self taught and proficient on Google Sketchup, I heard that SolidWorks was the industry standard and pale in comparison to anything else. When I downloaded it I was surprised to find out that I had to forget everything I knew with Sketchup, and start over.

After a few weeks of frustration and a bunch of youtube videos that break it down for an idiot like me, I have graduated kindergarten and have started loving this program. I know that I have only scratched the surface of what SolidWorks can do, but I'm excited to keep learning new methods to make project building easier and quicker.

Well that stinks about the hard drive, but I love that line of thinking.

First off, great looking build. Super stuff. I've looked at multi-channel peristaltics before and boy, are they spendy for that size.

Second... love the Solidworks feedback. I'm on the fence now for my next 3d package.
I do have a fair amount of experience in Pro/E and like it... just not liking the price.

I'm already using DraftSight for 2D (because autocad hates linux). So far I'm leaning Solidworks, figuring I wouldn't have to spend a ton of time learning the UI.
Price might become my deciding factor. Did you get any good deals (like the education license)?

OP
OP
Sisterlimonpot

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

First off, great looking build. Super stuff. I've looked at multi-channel peristaltics before and boy, are they spendy for that size.

Second... love the Solidworks feedback. I'm on the fence now for my next 3d package.
I do have a fair amount of experience in Pro/E and like it... just not liking the price.

I'm already using DraftSight for 2D (because autocad hates linux). So far I'm leaning Solidworks, figuring I wouldn't have to spend a ton of time learning the UI.
Price might become my deciding factor. Did you get any good deals (like the education license)?

Going from zero experience to Sketchup then to SW, is like driving a clunker to driving an exotic automobile. I can't speak to Pro E, but I would imagine that someone with experience in other professional 3D modeling CAD wouldn't have a hard time converting.

My neighbors son is studying to be a mechanical engineer and use SW in school. I asked him to come show me the ropes and he never did, I had to turn to reading and youtube.

Price was the biggest deciding factor for me as well. I was glad to read that SW honors those who wore the uniform, with my DD Form 214 I was able to get the student rate pricing.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have solidworks though my university, but definitely prefer fusion 360. I guess it depends on what you are doing though- I think the integrated CAM and postprocessor in fusion 360 is MUCH nicer than using HSMexpress with solidworks. But if you are just doing models/simulations, they’re pretty equal IMO.

Fusion 360 is just more modern- things feel like “common sense” rather than needing to google each term...

TMB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, do you sleep? we only just discussed this Sunday and today it's working!!! Gotta give you credit for work ethic!
Nice piece, interested to see it in action.:)

Edit: It was actually Saturday but who's counting anyway.

Back