OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past few weeks I’ve finally added corals! I don’t think I’ve gone to exciting or crazy, just ones that are apparently easy to look after and hardy. As I’m worried I am going to kill them >.<
From memory I have bought a leather mushroom, Duncan, Green zoa, Green hairy mushroom and I can not remember the names of the other two.
For now I am going to hold off from buying anymore, just see how I do with these and I have no idea if they are in the right place! But I’ve tried to keep them apart.
I have the testing kit, food, not sure if I need to look into anything more?
Excuse the lego behind the tank, Lego obsessed in this house, plus the algae, kinda leaving it to the snails, they seem to be on go and cleaning a big area in a day now I have some active snails! Plus I have been tided up with a new freshwater tank for a shrimp lol.
Any advice for a newbie though is welcomed :)
98100E5B-19FF-4D0D-A90D-FD6BB1D87414.jpeg
A1FA8AE9-6EBD-4ED2-A824-16973AF873E8.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good beginner corals there. The hardest is going to be the Duncan (lps is harder than soft generally), but that is a very easy lps anyway. Enjoy!
Oh! Thank you! I thought it was going to be the hardest one to look after haha, but looks like it’s growing well. Hoping the zoa will grow over the rocks. Just not sure if the brown one at the front is doing ok or not, just looked, called a Green Polyp Pink Pocillopora Corals, doesn’t look green or pink, maybe if the colours are mixed together lol. But thank you :)

Geesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh! Thank you! I thought it was going to be the hardest one to look after haha, but looks like it’s growing well. Hoping the zoa will grow over the rocks. Just not sure if the brown one at the front is doing ok or not, just looked, called a Green Polyp Pink Pocillopora Corals, doesn’t look green or pink, maybe if the colours are mixed together lol. But thank you :)
I love the duncans so much. Yours look so cute.
There's not enough space for all the duncans I want in my life.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poci is sps, so among the harder corals. I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t do well long term.
Try moving it higher in the tank for higher light and into higher flow.

The zoas will spread eventually, they always do.

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the duncans so much. Yours look so cute.
There's not enough space for all the duncans I want in my life.
It is pretty and looks like it is doing well, has a nice green and purple colouring to it. Am yet to learn how many Duncan’s there is then :D

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poci is sps, so among the harder corals. I wouldn’t be surprised if it doesn’t do well long term.
Try moving it higher in the tank for higher light and into higher flow.

The zoas will spread eventually, they always do.
Thank you for the info, that’s helpful to know. I’ll find a new place for it tomorrow, have an idea :)

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the protein skimmer adjusting coming along?

I have the same skimmer, just haven't installed it yet. I've read quite a few people on here say it's not the easiest to keep adjusted.

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How's the protein skimmer adjusting coming along?

I have the same skimmer, just haven't installed it yet. I've read quite a few people on here say it's not the easiest to keep adjusted.
Hello! :)

Have you got the Fluval Evo tank as well? Otherwise, since I’ve had it running in September, it seems to be steady now, as long as the water level is just right, why am being nosy about your tank :-D it is temperamental, but what I have found, once you have it just right, leave it alone and don’t touch it lol. I also believe it takes time to settle in, it’s now bringing up the dirt etc and I know longer have a clean cup, so in my opinion as a newbie I would rather have the skimmer than not. But let me know if you have the same tank, I’ll send photos of the water levels and air in take :)

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! :)

Have you got the Fluval Evo tank as well? Otherwise, since I’ve had it running in September, it seems to be steady now, as long as the water level is just right, why am being nosy about your tank :-D it is temperamental, but what I have found, once you have it just right, leave it alone and don’t touch it lol. I also believe it takes time to settle in, it’s now bringing up the dirt etc and I know longer have a clean cup, so in my opinion as a newbie I would rather have the skimmer than not. But let me know if you have the same tank, I’ll send photos of the water levels and air in take :)
Yes, I also have the fluval 13.5. I posted a build thread last night and found your post in the related threads section! :)

Edit| I meant to say, and sorry I didn't already, you have a beautiful build going on!

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I also have the fluval 13.5. I posted a build thread last night and found your post in the related threads section! :)

Edit| I meant to say, and sorry I didn't already, you have a beautiful build going on!
Found your tank! Meant to be working lol so I will be back and I will post where I have my water and air intake at, as it might be helpful.

And thank you! I have been a bit dishearted about a week ago and wondering to scrap it, I have 5 freshwater tanks that are doing really well. But the saltwater tank was high on brown algae (forget how to spell the name of the algae) so put the tank in darkness for two days with 2 hours of light, which pretty much cleared it, but in the event of darkness looks like I have lost a coral and a half, so been a bit meh and wondering, am I going to be useless at saltwater, even though I have everything that is needed. But I am at a loss when it comes to coral, I have the crabs and snails getting stuck in holes, a firefish picking on the female clown, the female clown picking on the male clown, and a cardinal that sits there, with her popcorn, watching it all go down lol and I am wondering, when will my tank look pretty with corals and how do I make that happen, cause I feel useless :( At the moment, putting it down to being a newbie and I need to stick with it! Haha sorry, the rant felt good :p

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found your tank! Meant to be working lol so I will be back and I will post where I have my water and air intake at, as it might be helpful.

And thank you! I have been a bit dishearted about a week ago and wondering to scrap it, I have 5 freshwater tanks that are doing really well. But the saltwater tank was high on brown algae (forget how to spell the name of the algae) so put the tank in darkness for two days with 2 hours of light, which pretty much cleared it, but in the event of darkness looks like I have lost a coral and a half, so been a bit meh and wondering, am I going to be useless at saltwater, even though I have everything that is needed. But I am at a loss when it comes to coral, I have the crabs and snails getting stuck in holes, a firefish picking on the female clown, the female clown picking on the male clown, and a cardinal that sits there, with her popcorn, watching it all go down lol and I am wondering, when will my tank look pretty with corals and how do I make that happen, cause I feel useless :( At the moment, putting it down to being a newbie and I need to stick with it! Haha sorry, the rant felt good :p
Oh no, definitely don't ditch!

I have a freshwater tank as well. And I've had saltwater tanks in the past.

The ugly stage is a real thing. Read up on it! The diatoms will go away, the algae will get in check. It's just a part of the process until your tank stabilizes. The ugly stage, in my experience, is always much more pronounced and lasts longer than in freshwater.

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, definitely don't ditch!

I have a freshwater tank as well. And I've had saltwater tanks in the past.

The ugly stage is a real thing. Read up on it! The diatoms will go away, the algae will get in check. It's just a part of the process until your tank stabilizes. The ugly stage, in my experience, is always much more pronounced and lasts longer than in freshwater.
I am trying to think positive and what I can do moving forward, maybe focus on getting the corals that are working for me. I know the clowns will calm down, they are better, but still have to pop melafix in to make sure his fin doesn’t get infected. How are your clowns doing?
I remember BRS did a video about the ugly stage, remember them saying about putting the tank in darkness, think it worries me what if I mess up and it’s game over? >.<
What freshwater tank do you have? And yes! Out of the five freshwater tanks, only one has gone through a really bad ugly stage and four snails help sort that out.
Ive got the protein skimmer photos! This will show where I keep my water level at a minimum, it’s only a line or two higher max (mainly because I fear the clowns - and I have two really stupid clown fish - or firefish will jump out of the feeding hole lol) and this is the sweet spot to get the skimmer working properly, I’ve taken a photo of the air in-take and where I have the water bubbles at in the neck, if that makes sense? But hope that helps, it will take serval weeks before it’ll work … and I know mines needs emptying, tank clean tomorrow, yay haha. Thanks for the pep talk too!
0002C8EE-23D0-4B31-A335-498A225B1486.jpeg
E65F9C9B-B18A-4E8F-8448-55457A884C5A.jpeg

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always going to be an ugly stage, just have to ride it out!
Eventually, algae comes to a minimum and corals start doing wonderful! Just a waiting game.
I remember watching YouTube BFS about the ugly stage. Can’t help but think I am failing as something are dying :,( I’ll keep doing what I am doing, as I am testing everything and feeding the fish and corals as I have been told, although my Mg looks to be out, going to test it again tomorrow when am not so tired and see if I need to panic lol. I don’t like the test kit I bought, has to be a better one! But I’ll keep my fingers crossed!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I remember watching YouTube BFS about the ugly stage. Can’t help but think I am failing as something are dying :,( I’ll keep doing what I am doing, as I am testing everything and feeding the fish and corals as I have been told, although my Mg looks to be out, going to test it again tomorrow when am not so tired and see if I need to panic lol. I don’t like the test kit I bought, has to be a better one! But I’ll keep my fingers crossed!
Everything went to hell early on for me too, happens at some point to everyone. The important thing is to just keep going, it will eventually work out!

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to think positive and what I can do moving forward, maybe focus on getting the corals that are working for me. I know the clowns will calm down, they are better, but still have to pop melafix in to make sure his fin doesn’t get infected. How are your clowns doing?
I remember BRS did a video about the ugly stage, remember them saying about putting the tank in darkness, think it worries me what if I mess up and it’s game over? >.<
What freshwater tank do you have? And yes! Out of the five freshwater tanks, only one has gone through a really bad ugly stage and four snails help sort that out.
Ive got the protein skimmer photos! This will show where I keep my water level at a minimum, it’s only a line or two higher max (mainly because I fear the clowns - and I have two really stupid clown fish - or firefish will jump out of the feeding hole lol) and this is the sweet spot to get the skimmer working properly, I’ve taken a photo of the air in-take and where I have the water bubbles at in the neck, if that makes sense? But hope that helps, it will take serval weeks before it’ll work … and I know mines needs emptying, tank clean tomorrow, yay haha. Thanks for the pep talk too!
0002C8EE-23D0-4B31-A335-498A225B1486.jpeg
E65F9C9B-B18A-4E8F-8448-55457A884C5A.jpeg
Awesome!

I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank for my daughter. It even has Frozen character figurines in there, lol. We have a betta (my daughter named him Crocker) and 2 Cory cats. We did have 3, but the third one mysteriously disappeared. We specifically looked for him during a water change and he's nowhere to be found.. Not under things, not in the filter, not on the floor. We started with 2 mystery snails. We hatched 4 clutches of eggs months ago. So now we have about 100 mystery snails, all about as big as a dime. I have to figure out what to do with them soon! I hope the LFS takes them!

20211114_153718.jpg

I actually just set up my skimmer. It was unbearably loud for the first 15 minutes but now it is just a loud hum, nothing unbearable. I assume it needs break in time.

Thanks for the pictures!

My clowns are doing great! Really zero problems. They're nipping, but just doing the standard thing clowns do. They're eating pellets and brine shrimp. My clean up crew has adjusted well, too.

Hang in there, in 2 to 3 months, you'll laugh at going through this stage. :)

Edit| I wanted to add I'm specifically not adding corals in anticipation of the ugly stage. I'll wait until it dies down. I recommend just letting it grow, don't let it get your corals though. Let it use up all the nutrients and then export it. Make sure your water quality stays good though and just tough out the ugly visuals for a bit.

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T

Everything went to hell early on for me too, happens at some point to everyone. The important thing is to just keep going, it will eventually work out!
I’ll let you say in a few months “see I told ya!” :p But thank you, it’s not nice to know on one hand because I know how sad this stage is, but it’s helpful to know on the other, that I am not alone with this stage … if that made sense!

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!

I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank for my daughter. It even has Frozen character figurines in there, lol. We have a betta (my daughter named him Crocker) and 2 Cory cats. We did have 3, but the third one mysteriously disappeared. We specifically looked for him during a water change and he's nowhere to be found.. Not under things, not in the filter, not on the floor. We started with 2 mystery snails. We hatched 4 clutches of eggs months ago. So now we have about 100 mystery snails, all about as big as a dime. I have to figure out what to do with them soon! I hope the LFS takes them!

20211114_153718.jpg

I actually just set up my skimmer. It was unbearably loud for the first 15 minutes but now it is just a loud hum, nothing unbearable. I assume it needs break in time.

Thanks for the pictures!

My clowns are doing great! Really zero problems. They're nipping, but just doing the standard thing clowns do. They're eating pellets and brine shrimp. My clean up crew has adjusted well, too.

Hang in there, in 2 to 3 months, you'll laugh at going through this stage. :)

Edit| I wanted to add I'm specifically not adding corals in anticipation of the ugly stage. I'll wait until it dies down. I recommend just letting it grow, don't let it get your corals though. Let it use up all the nutrients and then export it. Make sure your water quality stays good though and just tough out the ugly visuals for a bit.
The only snails I can breed are bladder snails lol. Again, too many of them, but no one will take them, kinda seen as a pest, but if they reached any of my other tanks, the breeding will be kept in check, gobby fish!
I’ve got a 30lt which has CRS and rainbow forktail fish. 35lt which is turning into a fighter fish tank. A 57lt which is holding a vampire shrimp for the next few weeks and then that’ll turn into a goldfish tank and then 123lt barb and loach tank and a second 123lt glowlights and harlequins where the shrimp will move to (bought this tank just for her! I was told she was a small breed of bamboo hummm).
56B70BE9-CE47-457B-B8F6-33A1D4081615.jpeg
D5090DD1-831E-4605-A383-00D0F8989520.jpeg
6120CB5C-F177-4C66-9347-DD76EAE30489.jpeg

can’t remember if I found the skimmer loud at first, but it is quiet, as quiet as a pump can be, my lounge has five tanks, so I sound like I am in a LFS lol! The only time it does get noisy is if it knocks on the side of the glass and vibrates. Have you kept your lid on or done what I’ve done, hacked at it to make it fit? As you do lol. Don’t be alarmed if you don’t see any skimming happening yet, someone said it takes a week, but honestly, I found it took a month, but by that point I had all the fish I wanted.
It’s slightly annoying as I spoke to the LFS told him what stage I am with the tank and felt it was fine to add corals. I was planning on adding corals in about 3 weeks to be honest, but when you get told you can have something by a pro, you do it! Should have stuck with my first plan *cries*
Going to test the Mg again as that was showing up whack, which I have to figure out if I have the right stuff to fix it, or not. But water change today and test mid week. Water quality is one thing I make sure is spot on and fingers crossed everything makes it through!

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only snails I can breed are bladder snails lol. Again, too many of them, but no one will take them, kinda seen as a pest, but if they reached any of my other tanks, the breeding will be kept in check, gobby fish!
I’ve got a 30lt which has CRS and rainbow forktail fish. 35lt which is turning into a fighter fish tank. A 57lt which is holding a vampire shrimp for the next few weeks and then that’ll turn into a goldfish tank and then 123lt barb and loach tank and a second 123lt glowlights and harlequins where the shrimp will move to (bought this tank just for her! I was told she was a small breed of bamboo hummm).
56B70BE9-CE47-457B-B8F6-33A1D4081615.jpeg
D5090DD1-831E-4605-A383-00D0F8989520.jpeg
6120CB5C-F177-4C66-9347-DD76EAE30489.jpeg

can’t remember if I found the skimmer loud at first, but it is quiet, as quiet as a pump can be, my lounge has five tanks, so I sound like I am in a LFS lol! The only time it does get noisy is if it knocks on the side of the glass and vibrates. Have you kept your lid on or done what I’ve done, hacked at it to make it fit? As you do lol. Don’t be alarmed if you don’t see any skimming happening yet, someone said it takes a week, but honestly, I found it took a month, but by that point I had all the fish I wanted.
It’s slightly annoying as I spoke to the LFS told him what stage I am with the tank and felt it was fine to add corals. I was planning on adding corals in about 3 weeks to be honest, but when you get told you can have something by a pro, you do it! Should have stuck with my first plan *cries*
Going to test the Mg again as that was showing up whack, which I have to figure out if I have the right stuff to fix it, or not. But water change today and test mid week. Water quality is one thing I make sure is spot on and fingers crossed everything makes it through!
Your freshwater tanks are beautiful! You seem to have way more confidence with them, and you will get there with your salt tank as well. :)

I am by no means an expert, but I've done this a lot in the past. Remember with these small tanks, there's nothing that can't be fixed with a large water change.

If your magnesium is off, just do a large water change and that'll correct it. What salt are you using? Any coral salt should have the correct amount of trace elements. The less tinkering with things the better!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back