OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your freshwater tanks are beautiful! You seem to have way more confidence with them, and you will get there with your salt tank as well. :)

I am by no means an expert, but I've done this a lot in the past. Remember with these small tanks, there's nothing that can't be fixed with a large water change.

If your magnesium is off, just do a large water change and that'll correct it. What salt are you using? Any coral salt should have the correct amount of trace elements. The less tinkering with things the better!
Thank you, just one day I started with a few live plants and next thing I know, I’ve spent £500 maybe more on all my tanks lol. It’s addictive. But yes, I am fairly confident with my freshwater now I know what is right and what is wrong. Water conditions, I know how to balance it. Which I can’t transfer to saltwater lol.
I’ve done a good water change, seem to annoyed my firefish, he hasn’t come out since, temperamental lol other half is admit I’ve killed him *sigh* I’ve tested the water few hours later, everything fine, but calcium is 8.5, me “huh!?” So wondering to test that again tomorrow. Not 100% sure if I’d need to do much, tried reading up about it, but left me confused haha sometimes doesn’t take much when am feeling stressed. Oh the salt I am using is instant ocean salt, read the other day that isn’t great, I was buying pre-mix from LFS but the last one was reading at 1.018!!! I have always had it at 1.025. Not one to complain I bought salt that was in the smallest tub to see how I do, otherwise, I think I’d use Fritz salt in the future?

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use red sea coral pro. Expensive but had good reviews. I think stability right now is the biggest thing for your tank!

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use red sea coral pro. Expensive but had good reviews. I think stability right now is the biggest thing for your tank!
I'll look into that salt as well when the time comes, I'll possibly have this little tub for a good three months, but next time I will look into it a bit more as it's not so scary to mix >>> I sound OTT but I suffer badly with anxiety, so I overthink things, but fish help me keep focus, yet cause the anxiety as the same time lol. Really wish there was a nearby fish store that sold the actual seawater, but the only one I know about is about 4 hours away.

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I'm suffering from anxiety as well. I used to be medicated but it made me too tired so I decided to come off of it. I do really good these days! Having a rigid schedule keeps me on track and I struggle with free time. That's why I got back into this hobby.. To keep me busy!

BTW, if you're using instant ocean, make sure it's the instant ocean reef crystals. The regular kind isn't really made for corals.

Hope you're having a good weekend!!

OP
OP
Snowywood

Snowywood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you. I'm suffering from anxiety as well. I used to be medicated but it made me too tired so I decided to come off of it. I do really good these days! Having a rigid schedule keeps me on track and I struggle with free time. That's why I got back into this hobby.. To keep me busy!

BTW, if you're using instant ocean, make sure it's the instant ocean reef crystals. The regular kind isn't really made for corals.

Hope you're having a good weekend!!
Anxiety is awful, I have PTSD on top of mine, so if I am having a rough week, there is no hope for me! But the only thing that really gets me out of the house, is the fish. I was working in an opticians for 20 years, but quit nearly a year ago now, after covid, the patients were so nasty and the business was expecting miracles from us, I broke down, I couldn't cope and had to get out. Thankfully, I have a WFH job, where it has made me realise the extent of how bad my MH is and how much work I need to put into it, to get it back on track, the struggle is real and takes so much time to learn how to cope with it. So it's good to have people who understand you.

Oh no lol I don't think it is the crystal type, I didn't know there were so many kinds, to be honest, I'll double-check the tub in a bit, but I think I will start again and look into red sea or fritz, I am pretty sure red sea will be available over here in the UK, but not everything is always in stock at the moment. I do feed the corals, was told every other day, use salifert, but I have bought reef roids for nano tanks, and flip between the two.

Thank you for the help once again! So much to learn. And I hope you're having a great weekend too!

Scottayy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work from home too, I'm a web developer :). We have a lot in common.

And yeah, definitely switch salt. Instant ocean sea salt is for fish only tanks. Reef crystals would be what you want if you're looking to stick to instant ocean. There's not much, if any, minerals for your corals in the sea salt. Glad I could be of help!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back