OP
OP
AngieLikedThat

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the stand I have. Not comfortable risking it so I'm gonna be searching for a new one. Hopefully not crazy expensive since the holidays are coming up lol

b82fd525-8feb-48c4-81c3-39d30c4881f8_1.ab16f4eefbe7eb19d8b4a3e45107bd07.jpeg

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the stand I have. Not comfortable risking it so I'm gonna be searching for a new one. Hopefully not crazy expensive since the holidays are coming up lol

b82fd525-8feb-48c4-81c3-39d30c4881f8_1.ab16f4eefbe7eb19d8b4a3e45107bd07.jpeg
That would more than likely work perfectly fine. The only reason to be concerned I would say would be if there is a lot of rusted parts or any structural damage to the stand. Otherwise, it should be fine.

OP
OP
AngieLikedThat

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would more than likely work perfectly fine. The only reason to be concerned I would say would be if there is a lot of rusted parts or any structural damage to the stand. Otherwise, it should be fine.
No rust issues or anything. Says max is 20 gal though. Do you still think itll be fine? I've never done a tank this big so I have nothing to base a decision off of.

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No rust issues or anything. Says max is 20 gal though. Do you still think itll be fine? I've never done a tank this big so I have nothing to base a decision off of.
Most stands are made to withstand the combined weight of the tank, water, accessories, and any decor you put in the tank. So it should be fine. In addition, this type of stand can usually hold two tanks, one up top and smaller one on bottom, like a 5 gallon tank. That is about 167lbs of water in a 20gallon and another 42 pounds of water in a five gallon. And it can still hold more weight from whatevr else is in the tank. So this can hold well over 250lbs.

So 160lbs salt water, 20lbs rock, 15lbs sand (give or take). That's 195lbs.

And don't forget. With every item you put into the tank (sand, rocks, decorative castles, whatever), the volume of water that can go in decreases. Thus meaning the weight of the water would actually be less then 167 pounds since the actual volume of water would be less than 20 gallons.

But if you are worried, then look around for a sturdier looking stand. I would say go to a LFS near you and ask them what they think and check out the stands they have.

OP
OP
AngieLikedThat

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most stands are made to withstand the combined weight of the tank, water, accessories, and any decor you put in the tank. So it should be fine. In addition, this type of stand can usually hold two tanks, one up top and smaller one on bottom, like a 5 gallon tank. That is about 167lbs of water in a 20gallon and another 42 pounds of water in a five gallon. And it can still hold more weight from whatevr else is in the tank. So this can hold well over 250lbs.

So 160lbs salt water, 20lbs rock, 15lbs sand (give or take). That's 195lbs.

And don't forget. With every item you put into the tank (sand, rocks, decorative castles, whatever), the volume of water that can go in decreases. Thus meaning the weight of the water would actually be less then 167 pounds since the actual volume of water would be less than 20 gallons.

But if you are worried, then look around for a sturdier looking stand. I would say go to a LFS near you and ask them what they think and check out the stands they have.

I'll leave this one for now then, maybe in the future I'll swap but honestly if I'm buying another stand it will most likely come with a bigger tank

OP
OP
AngieLikedThat

AngieLikedThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay! Welcome to reefing! I kept freshwater tanks for a few years, I’ve had my saltwater tank for 4 weeks and I already have 2 thriving corals.
I find it much more rewarding than freshwater.
That's awesome! I thought the tank had to cycle for a month or so before adding anything. How big is your tank?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's awesome! I thought the tank had to cycle for a month or so before adding anything. How big is your tank?
It is best to cycle for at least a month, preferably longer for larger tanks. I cycled my 16gallon in about 1 month and a half. But I used live rocks (that was super live), live sand, natural salt water, and I did the "shrimp tactic" for cycling: took a piece of shrimp from the grocery store, and dropped it in for three days to let the bacteria start the process of cycling. After about 4 weeks I had hair algae everywhere and it was starting to get bad, so I added 3 margarita snails and a turbo snail. That was beginning of last December. Two weeks later I added hermits. End of December I added two damsels and in mid January I added my first corals. Since then, I have filled my tank with about a total of 25 corals. Also swapped out the damsels (which killed anything beneficial to my tank be it another fish, a hermit, or even a cleaner shrimp) for a Frostbite Clown and a Midnight Clown.

20191109_230549.jpg
20191109_230601.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 61.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.6%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 84 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 42 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 65 27.2%
Back