My War with Dinos is Over (Hopefully)

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I just wanted to share my excitement with you all and maybe help someone else down the road
!
I currently have a 60’ish total water volume (3'x2'x20") and for the last 4+ months, I have been dealing with Dino’s.

At first, I didn’t realize it was Dino’s and did 4 or 5 consecutive 20g water changes hoping it would go away. It didn’t.
Dino1.png

I probably should have went the route of identifying which Dino’s I had with a microscope but, I ended up adding a 36 watt UV sterilizer. The Dino’s I had did not disappear at night like most people online said there Dinos did but, I tried UV anyway. This ultimately did nothing.
Dino3.png

I then researched a lot more and decided to raise my nutrients and dose bacteria. I was really patient with this and figured that my tank only being 9 months old, maybe it was a maturity thing.
Raising my nutrients didn’t do much other than bringing on a bunch of hair algae. Based on a Salifert test kit, my nitrates were around 50. For some reason I was having a hard time raising my phosphates but, the last time I tested with a Hanna checker, they were around .06.
Dino4.png

Dino5.png

Dino6.png

I even tried changing my filter pad every morning and syphoning the sand bed a couple times a week but in the end, they just returned the next day.

Finally, I decided to do a black out. Not only did I turn my lights off entirely, I cut out card board and completely covered the glass.

TankWrap2.jpeg

I gave it a little over 3 days without touching the tank. The only thing I did was change the filter pad on day 2. I left everything running including my skimmer and UV.
Today I came home, took the cardboard off and EVERYTHING IS GONE!!!
Dinos are nowhere to be found and the green hair algae is gone as well! The few corals that I currently have don't seem to be bothered other than a little loss of color. The fish even seemed happy and excited to have the light back, swimming back and forth enjoying life.
AfterTank.jpeg

Clean1.jpeg

Clean2.jpeg

I don't think I've seen my sandbed this clean since I started the tank up!

I turned my lights back on to only 20% with a 60 day ramp up and then did a 20g water change to lower nutrients (although I haven't bothered to test just yet) but, will do in the next day or two.
Since it's only been an hour since the water change, I don't know if the Dino's are gone for good or not but, I will continue my maintenance routine and keep an eye out.
I sure hope that I won this battle and never to have to deal with Dinos again. Only time will tell..
Fingers crossed!

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!

Eight month new cycled tank at seven months (month before) diatoms lessened and as well a cerith snail population occurred.
I haven't done a substantial water change yet for my 66 gallon. I daily add distilled water 1 gallon for evaporation and every month or two replace 4-5 gallons with salt when performing canister cleaning. A recent Reef Octopus HOB 2000 Protein Skimmer and six month in use 18 watt CoralVue Twist UV are part of my reef eco system.
I was debating about a sump/fug but at this point everything seems adequate. A sump/fug might present a cleaner rimless display but 40 pounds of live sand and 40 pounds or so of live rock are enough of a fug.

Jigity_jigity_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome congrats! The blackouts and the UV are the only thing I haven’t tried yet. I feel like I’ve slowed them down by getting my N and P up but they aren’t totally eradicated. If in the next couple weeks they aren’t totally gone I’m gonna give it a shot.

OP
OP
Mike Lemming

Mike Lemming

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome congrats! The blackouts and the UV are the only thing I haven’t tried yet. I feel like I’ve slowed them down by getting my N and P up but they aren’t totally eradicated. If in the next couple weeks they aren’t totally gone I’m gonna give it a shot.
To be honest, I never believed that Black outs worked until I did one. Not just lights out, a complete black out like I did with cardboard..

Jigity_jigity_joe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that’s exactly what I was planning on doing. I just got my skimmer running so I can feel good about oxygenation with everything all buttoned up, might go for it this weekend.

wil-yuhm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, I never believed that Black outs worked until I did one. Not just lights out, a complete black out like I did with cardboard..

I've run an UV 18 watt sterilizer 24 hours for months. Now diatoms/algae are at desirable levels I made a slight change implementing a cheap electrical timer outlet from Harbor Freight. UV sterilizer is set to run during the day for 12 hours and off 12 hours throughout a night. A couple of days now my timer was installed and haven't noticed any increase of undesirable diatoms or algae.

Be neat if a "random" light setting could be set more or less recreating natural weather conditions at varying depths including black outs or storms for a few days. There's an idea wifi from whatever weather/forecast broadcast over seas where livestock originated. Might help fishy feel less home sick :)

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 64 85.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.0%
Back