My Wife = your wife/husband?

Heabel7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I showed my wife a picture of the ever so common Vivid rainbow delight. “Honey do you like this coral? It’s an old school classic with great colors if you can pull them out”. My wife “yeah it’s pretty but it looks like the one we already have”. I’m scratching my head as my mind flashes every color and color combination in my tank. “Which one are you talking about? I ask. She points out the Garf Bonsai. Me “they are nothing alike, dark blue/purple body with bright green polyps vs white/baby blue/green inner body with blue/purple tips AND reddish polyps”. My wife shrugs her shoulders look similar to me. Who else encounters this while trying to choose corals with your significant other?

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is onboard with the tanks but we agree on nothing!
I have a 120 and a 45 cube getting setup and we (I) have decided the cube is mine and I'll put what I want in it. She gets much more real-estate but thats fine, at least I'll have something I get to make the decisions on :cool:

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the wife is onboard also, she knows a brain from a acan, and a green stick from a blue one ..but how much is more important ....I have spent thousands and we are not ricH, so I’m not complaining :)
its been about 6 months so far and I dont even have water yet. My wife asked the other day what we have spent so far and I replied "you dont want to know" she said "Fair enough" Gawd I love her!

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are the women reefers? Lol.
My husband can point and articulate the boldest color on a coral or the main feature, that’s about it. If he’s asking “what’s up with this “wavy” one”- that can imply any torch, Duncan or the anemones. The “sticks” refer to any of branching corals. The “plate-y” ones are the montis. Lol

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My conversations go like "Honey, do you like this coral" She responds with "Yes, I love it....how much does it cost?" I tell her and then all of sudden she doesn't like the look of said coral so much anymore.

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your wife and Adam from Battlecorals think along the same lines, believe it or not. All the color and nuance is great, but it's only visible if you know what to look for and you're inches away from the tank. When you step back a few feet, all the colors blend in and you just have a box of sticks. From Adam's article on nuance:

But what do we see when we take a few steps back? That couch on the other side of the room that you lay in and ogle at your nubs, envisioning one day, long from now, that you will finally have something more to enjoy than these. What happens to those radiant little wonders?

I’ll tell you - All that blinding, oozing, and irresistibly expensive color: those pink tips and orange polyps - they disappear completely. What you are left with, if you have been disciplined enough to let them grow large enough to see from across the room is…………..STRUCTURE - and base color at best!

Herndonh75

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol at least there is some type of interest there!
Mine refers to everything as "fish stuff". Everything. Tank, equipment, fish, coral. Its all "fish stuff" with a wrinkly nose
Sounds like my wife except when it comes to naming the fish lol! She claims “rights” to the naming of them!

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got into this hobby as a gift for my wife... it has evolved into my own hobby with her just looking at the pretty tank.

She would be completely happy with GSP, Xenia, and Mushrooms. Crazy woman.

Striking the balance of your desire vs reality is always tough. If the piece is calling your name, and you want the challenge of pulling those colors out go for it!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 74 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back