My wife's gonna Kill Me... First Build after 25+ years Just ordered!

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I just placed my Black Friday order.... Super Excited, A bit nervous but I know I have some great resources here.... I'll Document
everything as they arrive here at the house... Still Deciding on lights, will not be trying the sps world for a long while so any recommendations
that are best bang for the $ appreciated!

ReefMat 1200 Fleece Roller Filter - Red Sea
  • Ordered 1
Reefer XXL 750 G2 System (160 Gal) - White - Red Sea
  • Ordered 1
VorTech MP40mQD - Mobius Ready QuietDrive Propeller Pump - EcoTech Marine
  • Ordered 2
Crystal ATO 10 Gallon Reservoir - Trigger Systems
  • Ordered 1
Vectra L2 - Mobius Ready DC Return Pump (3100 GPH) - Ecotech Marine
  • Ordered 1
Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off - Tunze

600W Titanium Aquarium Heater w/ Helio Controller - Redundancy​

Classic 200INT 8” Internal Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus

ReefDose 4 - Dosing Pump - RedSea

Ultra Zero Utility Pump - Sicce

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say to remove the mp40 and get the 60. The glass thickness will ultimately be a problem down the road

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Note that the ReefMat 1200 can be a bit challenging to fit into the sump (due to the size), so allow some room to insert it horizontally (without the motor) and then swing down 90° to fit over the lip of the sump (fellow 750 owner here!)

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck! Note that the ReefMat 1200 can be a bit challenging to fit into the sump (due to the size), so allow some room to insert it horizontally (without the motor) and then swing down 90° to fit over the lip of the sump (fellow 750 owner here!)
Thank you, this is great info and will save me a few choice words I'm sure!!!!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, this is great info and will save me a few choice words I'm sure!!!!!
You're getting the G2 - so it's ReefMat ready (saving you the trouble of physically cutting out the filter sock trays, since they just slide out on the G2s). That was a few hours of my life I'm not getting back (along with a few choice metaphors)... If you're going with an external RO reservoir it makes things a lot easier in terms of figuring out where you're going to place things, ie: you can physically locate the ReefMat right next to the overflow pipes.

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're getting the G2 - so it's ReefMat ready (saving you the trouble of physically cutting out the filter sock trays, since they just slide out on the G2s). That was a few hours of my life I'm not getting back (along with a few choice metaphors)... If you're going with an external RO reservoir it makes things a lot easier in terms of figuring out where you're going to place things, ie: you can physically locate the ReefMat right next to the overflow pipes.
Yes, I did the external ATO based on BRS recommendation.... This is all great info I appreciate your help!

AKG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, skimmer plus reefmat might be a little excessive but just use your better judgement if you find your skimmer begins struggling to pull things out of your water and ask yourself if you're just pulling out good bacteria at that point. Maybe run the skimmer on a schedule.

Or not, plenty of people do find running both, but I'm a big fan of the idea of, "I keep water" instead of, "I keep coral" when it comes to filtration anything I take out is potentially something a coral or bacterial colony can't eat.

Just my two cents man I'm excited for you!!!!!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did the external ATO based on BRS recommendation.... This is all great info I appreciate your help!
Just as an option - I run internal (sump) and external (adjacent) RO reservoirs. This gives me ~22 gallons of RO and is roughly enough for a week of evaporation. I use the internal 7-gallon Red Sea RO reservoir with the Red Sea ATK float and have a Neptune ATK replenish from a 15-gallon IM Hydrofill reservoir into the Red Sea reservoir (this way the sensors remain in RO water, never accumulate any salt/etc. and result in almost zero maintenance). The Red Sea float on my 750XXL v3 has been rock solid for 16 months and counting (I've only had to wipe it once) - although others have reported it can be hit and miss. The ReefMat 1200 is mounted just to the left of the cabinet support; I have enough room to reach the ReefMat controls and it can slide about 6-8" to the left to allow me access to the rear of the sump to remove the black filter sponge.

The ReefMat 1200 + skimmer is totally fine. The fleece rolls are only 200-microns, so having a skimmer really helps - especially if you run a high bio load (I have upwards of 44 fish). I run a Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer, an OzoTech Poseidon 200 ozone system and a pair of Nyos reactors (Zeo and Carbon/Phosi-Ex). FYI, I get about 25-30 days for each 1200 fleece roll (you should get several months with a light to medium bio load).

7BB2488D-3394-47B7-B537-58D5B3B8C165.JPG

82BEA5FE-AE8E-4129-B8F3-3519F94FE2A2.JPG

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good, skimmer plus reefmat might be a little excessive but just use your better judgement if you find your skimmer begins struggling to pull things out of your water and ask yourself if you're just pulling out good bacteria at that point. Maybe run the skimmer on a schedule.

Or not, plenty of people do find running both, but I'm a big fan of the idea of, "I keep water" instead of, "I keep coral" when it comes to filtration anything I take out is potentially something a coral or bacterial colony can't eat.

I was concerned about this as well and a very valid point, I figured I will run on a schedule and adjust accordingly.. Better to have it then not, even if It's just sitting there! Appreciate the feedback!!!

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as an option - I run internal (sump) and external (adjacent) RO reservoirs. This gives me ~22 gallons of RO and is roughly enough for a week of evaporation. I use the internal 7-gallon Red Sea RO reservoir with the Red Sea ATK float and have a Neptune ATK replenish from a 15-gallon IM Hydrofill reservoir into the Red Sea reservoir (this way the sensors remain in RO water, never accumulate any salt/etc. and result in almost zero maintenance). The Red Sea float on my 750XXL v3 has been rock solid for 16 months and counting (I've only had to wipe it once) - although others have reported it can be hit and miss. The ReefMat 1200 is mounted just to the left of the cabinet support; I have enough room to reach the ReefMat controls and it can slide about 6-8" to the left to allow me access to the rear of the sump to remove the black filter sponge.

The ReefMat 1200 + skimmer is totally fine. The fleece rolls are only 200-microns, so having a skimmer really helps - especially if you run a high bio load (I have upwards of 44 fish). I run a Nyos Quantum 160 skimmer, an OzoTech Poseidon 200 ozone system and a pair of Nyos reactors (Zeo and Carbon/Phosi-Ex). FYI, I get about 25-30 days for each 1200 fleece roll (you should get several months with a light to medium bio load).

7BB2488D-3394-47B7-B537-58D5B3B8C165.JPG

82BEA5FE-AE8E-4129-B8F3-3519F94FE2A2.JPG
This is awesome info! Of course my head is spinning with all the new things, The closest thing to coral that I have ever dealt with were skeletons that I bleached once in a while! Looking forward to the learning process, you have been a great help as the other members... I will take my time, I don't intend on rushing things or creating a heavy bio=load.... Now, what lights do I order lol! Can't decide on price/value etc...

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome info! Of course my head is spinning with all the new things, The closest thing to coral that I have ever dealt with were skeletons that I bleached once in a while! Looking forward to the learning process, you have been a great help as the other members... I will take my time, I don't intend on rushing things or creating a heavy bio=load.... Now, what lights do I order lol! Can't decide on price/value etc...
No worries at all. If you every need any ideas just drop me a line (happy to share any photos or details on my equipment setup). I have four (4) EcoTech Radion XR30/XR15 G5 Blues for my lighting on the RMS mounts. With Black Friday right around the corner there are bound to be some good deals on lighting.

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No worries at all. If you every need any ideas just drop me a line (happy to share any photos or details on my equipment setup). I have four (4) EcoTech Radion XR30/XR15 G5 Blues for my lighting on the RMS mounts. With Black Friday right around the corner there are bound to be some good deals on lighting.
Are you in Arizona by chance?

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good advice. Tanks are too clean these days. I only run my skimmer 4 hours a day. Still have to dose NO3 and PO4. People are still wondering why they're always fighting Dinos/cyano... lol.

Roli's Reef Ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,

I just placed my Black Friday order.... Super Excited, A bit nervous but I know I have some great resources here.... I'll Document
everything as they arrive here at the house... Still Deciding on lights, will not be trying the sps world for a long while so any recommendations
that are best bang for the $ appreciated!

ReefMat 1200 Fleece Roller Filter - Red Sea
  • Ordered 1
Reefer XXL 750 G2 System (160 Gal) - White - Red Sea
  • Ordered 1
VorTech MP40mQD - Mobius Ready QuietDrive Propeller Pump - EcoTech Marine
  • Ordered 2
Crystal ATO 10 Gallon Reservoir - Trigger Systems
  • Ordered 1
Vectra L2 - Mobius Ready DC Return Pump (3100 GPH) - Ecotech Marine
  • Ordered 1
Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off - Tunze

600W Titanium Aquarium Heater w/ Helio Controller - Redundancy​

Classic 200INT 8” Internal Protein Skimmer - Reef Octopus

ReefDose 4 - Dosing Pump - RedSea

Ultra Zero Utility Pump - Sicce
I run a 160 gallon system, and the M2 is more than adequate. I have to turn it way down, so I can only imagine what the L2 will do. You'll probably have it turned down all the way with your gate valves all the way open too.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you in Arizona by chance?
That answers my question. If she comes unglued I have a lot of good friends in AZ who can come grab the tank off the front porch... Hate to see it cause issues with the misses :)
I also have one good friend who rents out places if it gets really bad.
Looks good otherwise, good luck!
Till It Happens To You Lady Gaga GIF by Mic
:cool: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::cool:

OP
OP
Gondeep11

Gondeep11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That answers my question. If she comes unglued I have a lot of good friends in AZ who can come grab the tank off the front porch... Hate to see it cause issues with the misses :)
I also have one good friend who rents out places if it gets really bad.
Looks good otherwise, good luck!
Till It Happens To You Lady Gaga GIF by Mic
:cool: :face-with-hand-over-mouth::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::cool:
In all honesty after 30 years she's smart enough not to say anything, she knows I would call and cancel that order and in the same breath order a larger tank!

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Already ordered, can I ask why it will be down the road issue and not right away...?
I have the 650 with 3/4 glass. And over time I’m assuming algae builds up and the wet side constantly falls off. I citrus bath every month as well.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 29 78.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back