Trying to "do it right": My RedSea Reefer-S 850

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the planning stages for a new RedSea Reefer-S 850 and I'm starting to get giddy! Hoping to have this thing in my house in July or August.

This is my first "big" tank and the first time I'll be using a sump system so any comments, suggestions, guidance, lessons, etc. are most welcome from the R2R community. In fact, I'll be asking some questions in different spots in the thread below. (Those with experience having large tanks, I welcome your responses to the questions I post in here!)

BACK STORY

I've had a small Fluval Evo 13.5 with some @Biota_Marine liverock, a mix of rock nems, softies, and a couple small LPS, and two fish for about 6 years. 2 years ago a local family opened a LFS about a mile from my home and we quickly became friends. This gave me the confidence to go a bit bigger and wife and I got a 65 gallon JBJ AIO. It's been a mixed reef with a lot of success and we are loving it. For a few reasons (running out of space in the tank QUICK, location of tank, fish I'd like to have, swimming space, etc.) it's time for an upgrade. We have a wall in our living room that is perfect for a 6-footer...perfect combo of comfy couch, TV, and watching the tank :)

Settled on a RedSea Reefer-S 850.

EQUIPMENT PLAN

Planning on the following to start:

Lighting - ATI Straton x3
Heaters - IM Helio Smart PTC 1000 watt system
Return Pump - Sicce 9.0 (considering 2 for redundancy, though I'm worried about not having enough space in the sump)
Wavemakers - IceCap 4Ks x 2
Control - HYDROS with Wave Engine
Roller - RedSea Reef Mat 1200
Skimmer - Maxspect Aeraqua Duo AD600

Alkatronic for alk tracking/control
Dosetronic for dosing

Reefin Ain't Easy custom tank lid

I'll be attempting a Habitat Negative Space Aquascape, following some of the instructions from @Bulk Reef Supply. Planning on using all marco rock and busting it up myself. For sand, I'll do a good 2-3 inch layer of CaribSea Bahamas Oolit Arag-Alive sand so I can keep wrasses.

Any thoughts/opinions on the equipment list? Something you think I should add to the list? What am I missing?

TANK TYPE

I'm planning on building a custom NSA aquascape with 2-3 "islands". On island (the biggest) will be primarily SPS. Another island (likely second biggest) will on the opposite end of the tank and primarily torches on one side, gonis on the other. In the middle, I'll either have a small island (possibly to cover in scolymia) or just leave it sand and have a nice scoly garden, or a high-end lobo or acantho.

I'll probably do 2-3 inches of sandbed (maybe a bit deeper) because I like the look and plan to have wrasses.

FISH

My 65 gallon has a big royal gramma, small white tailed bristletooth tang, melanrurus wrasse, pygmy pink streak wrasse, yellow basslet, and a falco hawkfish, all of whom have lived peacefully together for over a year now. I'd like to transfer all of them to the big tank when its ready.

I also want to add the following at some point:

1. Hippo tang
  2. Gen tang
  3. Regal Angel (Biota)
  4. Gold flake angel (Biota)
  5. Cuban basslet (Biota)
  6. Copper band butterfly
  7. Radiant wrasse
  8. Some sort of Flasher wrasse
Any major issues you see with the fish list (keeping in mind the fish I already have and will add to this tank)? Suggestions on order of adding them?

BIG TANK GENERAL ADVICE

This is my first go with a big tank like this. And I've never had a tank with a sump system. Please, any advice, special considerations, comments, lessons, etc., you think would be helpful to me....please share!

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never promise "this will be my last one" HAHA
dude that is going to be epic. I wanted the S1000 but have the 650P and it would not fit with out getting rid of the new couch with BTW I was in favor of. ha

I like the S series get the G2 reef mat ready just in case you want to go that way.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never promise "this will be my last one" HAHA
dude that is going to be epic. I wanted the S1000 but have the 650P and it would not fit with out getting rid of the new couch with BTW I was in favor of. ha

I like the S series get the G2 reef mat ready just in case you want to go that way.
Hahaha yeah good point :)

I also wanted the S1000 but the space we have for a bigger tank is just a bit too short.

Im definitely planning on using the reef mat. LFS said the first generation S850 sump should support it. They said the G2 will be more expensive for not any real benefit.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im definitely planning on using the reef mat. LFS said the first generation S850 sump should support it. They said the G2 will be more expensive for not any real benefit.
Not without modifying the sump. The G2 upgrade is worth the small extra amount - so I'd change to a G2 if you can.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save yourself some money and pick up the S-1000 now instead of 12 months from now when you decide to upgrade.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save yourself some money and pick up the S-1000 now instead of 12 months from now when you decide to upgrade.
I would if I had space for it. Best I can fit in this house is a 6-footer. In a few years when we move will be time for something even bigger :)

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would if I had space for it. Best I can fit in this house is a 6-footer. In a few years when we move will be time for something even bigger :)
I read that after I posted. The S series are really nice tanks. You are going to love it.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t ordered it yet so I can still change. Thanks for the insider info!
On the S-850 you'll probably have the same precision gate valve (as this was a current feature), but the plumbing is black and red, they have bulkhead adapters in Imperial if you want to add your own manifold, the main overflow is rectangular as opposed to round - and most importantly, to install a Reef Mat you just slide the filter trays and filter compartment chamber out (if you ever want to convert it back). And you don't need a separate set of tools to cut the silicone, main overflow pipe, etc.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the S-850 you'll probably have the same precision gate valve (as this was a current feature), but the plumbing is black and red, they have bulkhead adapters in Imperial if you want to add your own manifold, the main overflow is rectangular as opposed to round - and most importantly, to install a Reef Mat you just slide the filter trays and filter compartment chamber out (if you ever want to convert it back). And you don't need a separate set of tools to cut the silicone, main overflow pipe, etc.
^this
OP -I would take a moment and price it out. really understand the features and see if they are worth it for you or not. for some it will be a NO others YES. but YOU need to decide.
we just dont want you to get the tank home as be like man i wish I fully new what the difference was.
if you go G1 ask for a discount.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That does make it sound worth it to go with the G2

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does make it sound worth it to go with the G2
If it were me I would get the G2 hands down. There are just a lot of little things over the first generation models that you will appreciate in time - even if they aren't all immediately apparent when you first set it up. For starters, you can get it up and running with filter socks - and if/when it gets to the point where you have a high enough bio load that a ReefMat makes sense - you can basically retrofit it in mere minutes. Without tools.

Compared to some of the other G2 models, the S-850 isn't that much different in price. Most of the other G2 models got plywood cabinets, thicker glass, corner reinforcements, dual returns, improved overflows and plumbing - so while you receive more features - the upgrade cost over the first generation of those models is also quite a bit more.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me I would get the G2 hands down. There are just a lot of little things over the first generation models that you will appreciate in time - even if they aren't all immediately apparent when you first set it up. For starters, you can get it up and running with filter socks - and if/when it gets to the point where you have a high enough bio load that a ReefMat makes sense - you can basically retrofit it in mere minutes. Without tools.

Compared to some of the other G2 models, the S-850 isn't that much different in price. Most of the other G2 models got plywood cabinets, thicker glass, corner reinforcements, dual returns, improved overflows and plumbing - so while you receive more features - the upgrade cost over the first generation of those models is also quite a bit more.
Any idea what the S-850 G2 will cost?

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm in the planning stages for a new RedSea Reefer-S 850 and I'm starting to get giddy! Hoping to have this thing in my house in July or August.

This is my first "big" tank and the first time I'll be using a sump system so any comments, suggestions, guidance, lessons, etc. are most welcome from the R2R community. In fact, I'll be asking some questions in different spots in the thread below. (Those with experience having large tanks, I welcome your responses to the questions I post in here!)

BACK STORY

I've had a small Fluval Evo 13.5 with some @Biota_Marine liverock, a mix of rock nems, softies, and a couple small LPS, and two fish for about 6 years. 2 years ago a local family opened a LFS about a mile from my home and we quickly became friends. This gave me the confidence to go a bit bigger and wife and I got a 65 gallon JBJ AIO. It's been a mixed reef with a lot of success and we are loving it. For a few reasons (running out of space in the tank QUICK, location of tank, fish I'd like to have, swimming space, etc.) it's time for an upgrade. We have a wall in our living room that is perfect for a 6-footer...perfect combo of comfy couch, TV, and watching the tank :)

Settled on a RedSea Reefer-S 850.

EQUIPMENT PLAN

Planning on the following to start:

Lighting - Neptune SKY x 3
Heaters - Finnex 800 watt x 2
Return Pump - Sicce 9.0 (considering 2 for redundancy, though I'm worried about not having enough space in the sump)
Wavemakers - IceCap 4Ks x 2
Control - HYDROS with Wave Engine
Roller - RedSea Reef Mat 1200
Skimmer - Maxspect Aeraqua Duo AD600

Alkatronic for alk tracking/control
Dosetronic for dosing

Reefin Ain't Easy custom tank lid

Any thoughts/opinions on the equipment list? Something you think I should add to the list? What am I missing?

TANK TYPE

I'm planning on building a custom NSA aquascape with 2-3 "islands". On island (the biggest) will be primarily SPS. Another island (likely second biggest) will on the opposite end of the tank and primarily torches on one side, gonis on the other. In the middle, I'll either have a small island (possibly to cover in scolymia) or just leave it sand and have a nice scoly garden, or a high-end lobo or acantho.

I'll probably do 2-3 inches of sandbed (maybe a bit deeper) because I like the look and plan to have wrasses.

FISH

My 65 gallon has a big royal gramma, small white tailed bristletooth tang, melanrurus wrasse, pygmy pink streak wrasse, yellow basslet, and a falco hawkfish, all of whom have lived peacefully together for over a year now. I'd like to transfer all of them to the big tank when its ready.

I also want to add the following at some point:
  1. Blonde naso tang
  2. Convict tank
  3. Hippo tang (I'll probably add all 3 of the new tangs at the same time, at the end)
  4. Potters angel
  5. Gold flake angel
  6. Cuban basslet
  7. Copper band butterfly
Any major issues you see with the fish list (keeping in mind the fish I already have and will add to this tank)? Suggestions on order of adding them?

BIG TANK GENERAL ADVICE

This is my first go with a big tank like this. And I've never had a tank with a sump system. Please, any advice, special considerations, comments, lessons, etc., you think would be helpful to me....please share!
I set up a s1000 early March. I now have 5 DT. I use AI hydra lights and AI Nero 3 or 5 power heads, love their app, easy and great flexibility on the light settings/power head options. I run 2 3100 gph Current pumps so I think you would have plenty of room for two pumps. I only use one in my XXXL 750 Fowler, but would set up two if I was to do it over (might even add one since it comes with the Y).
IMO finnex heaters are junk. I will back that with the fact that I am currently using them on all of my tanks. My first issue was in my QT observation system (1 39 and 2 27 drilled for overflows and runnning through a 55 gallon modified sump) stray voltage that I could actually feel the shock when touching the water 200 watt. Then XXL750 one two 500 watt, again started getting shocked when reaching into sump. Didn’t isolate, but stopped as soon as I unplugged them. Then 5 days ago my apex tripped its circuit breaker, reset and it happened again. Unplugged the heaters 2 500 watt and now not tripping. Maybe too much attached, but this is first time and system been running since March.
can’t tell you where to go. Helix new heaters look awesome, but $500 plus for a thousand watt (2 500) system with controller so I ordered 2 600 watt BRS elements and ink bird controller but haven’t gotten yet. Reviews on BRS heaters were sketchy, but all reviews said BRS stood behind them. Finnex won’t after 6 months.
I would recommend Neptune apex controller I use trident for auto alk mag calcium tests and DOS for fusion 1 and 2 dosing. I’m sure what you have picked out is probably just as good or possibly even better, but I use the same items on all 5 of my tanks and only complaint is the finnex heaters. First tank just over 1 year old last tank set up in March. Unfortunately I bought the heaters when I ordered the tank in October so heaters only two months in use.
As far as fish
I like your line up, but couple of thoughts.
I think convict tangs have a reputation of becoming extremely aggressive to the point of killing tank mates, I have read threads where the hippo tang is difficult to keep (I currently have one, had three but two didn’t make it) the two I lost were stupid purchase as my guy at the LFS told me he was giving me the three best as other weren’t eating. However my third that was eating I’ve had since Feb.
Potters angel and gold flake angel reef safe with caution. Definitely a risk to put angels in a reef system. I received an ebli from my cousin, he has had the fish for a reasonably long amount of time and it never bothered a single coral. He decided to quit the hobby and I bought him out. The ebli found something he liked in my tank and then proceeded to kill and eat every one of my corals. Definitely beautiful fish, but double check and then if you go that way I hope it works out well (many have had success).
same applies to the copperbanded butterfly. However I got one to try to help with apstasia. He has cleared it out of my XL 525 and not nipping at corals but I had to do something.
check compatability of two basslets in the same tank not sure it is recommended.
consider some sand sifters (watchman gobies, dragon goby, etc)
Yellow watchman with a pistol shrimp is cool, but don’t think your melenarus will be ok with the shrimp.
Get your tangs and QT then before you are ready to start if at all possible and introduce them at the same time you put in your bristle tooth. I have 6 in my s1000 and put them all in at the start transferred some form the 525 and the others out of QT.
Get your own RODI system if you don’t have one. Get several brute trash cans
Most of all, take your time and keep it fun.
I love this hobby and I love my fishes.

Attachments

• 9DEF51F3-8130-4685-B656-D0F2B3EDA907.jpeg
    9DEF51F3-8130-4685-B656-D0F2B3EDA907.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 148

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back