OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still unsure of what tank I want to start with -- Red Sea, Cade, Waterbox, etc but we're planning major renovations within the next year and the tank isn't happening until after they're complete so I've got plenty of time to decide.

TBH, the only thing really holding me back from RS is the seam issue.
Completely understand. I was also worried about the seam issues. FWIW, the eurobracing on the Reefer S line is impressive…both at the top AND bottom of the tank. Of course, nothing is guaranteed but they have definitely heavily reinforced all the seams on this tank.

Of course this is the only style in their lineup they added eurobracing to

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day! Got a package from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms.

Live Sand Activator Plus package which includes live sand, WUNDERMUD, amphipods, micro hermits, nerites, micro brittle stars, spaghetti worms, bristle worms, and concentrated nitrifying bacteria.

First fish come tomorrow from @tsmaquatics!
BBEB3078-20F5-4DCA-BB5D-EB5C9C56FCC3.jpeg

9C73B425-E77D-4065-B9D2-2800DDAACBE1.jpeg

E7101C36-0111-4422-9858-8621B12622C5.jpeg

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have fish! Our mini-harem of Lyretail Anthias showed up today - David Bowie, Freddy Mercury, and Elton John.

I've got to say, @tsmaquatics sure does a great job. These fish seem plump and healthy and looked essentially unphased by the trip across the country.

Can't wait for them to settle in and start associating me with food :)

IMG-8073.jpg

IMG-8074.jpg

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in time for the first addition of fish, I also got my ReefMat! Really excited for this thing
4235B623-B3E6-4F6D-A825-BBA53001F8C6.jpeg

Also of note, Roo was thoroughly unimpressed with the ReefMat installation process
52F6F13E-FFF3-414B-8335-D29C536ADE30.jpeg

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably silly…but I’m really proud of the patience I’m leaning into setting this system up.

Four weeks in and I still haven’t turned the lights on. Ocean Direct sand + IPSF biome package + AquaBiomics live sand to build the micro and miso biome. I’ve seeded both amphipods and 7 species of copepods (thanks Jay’s Reef Bugs!)

ReefMat and skimmer are now running.

Really trying hard to slowly let the ecosystem build and establish.

Current plan is to fire up the lights in the next 2-4 weeks and set intensity to 50-100 PAR throughout the tank. I’ll probably let the lights run for a week or two and then put a Hardy LPS or two in to test things out.

I also have my fourth fish in QT (a Midas blenny) and should be ready to add him in about 3.5 weeks.

This system is so much fun!

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. How does your qt look? Are you pleased with its results?
Well, actually, it's my LFS' QT setup. I'm close with the people that own it and convinced one of them to set up a full QT program using the @Humblefish methodology. They offer it as an added service.

They are running a full 30-day QT (with copper) on a Midas Blenny for me now.

FWIW, I've had my other tank DNA tested and can confirm that the LFS QT is working. My tank is fish-disease free!

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been running about 6 weeks with the lights off. So far, so good!

Just ordered a CUC from @reefcleaners to supplement what’s already in there from IPSF (handful of nerites, micro hermits, micro brittle stars, bristle worms, and spaghetti worms).

Once these arrive I’ll fire up the lights, set the PAR to LPS levels (50-100ish) and add some hardy corals

4DEF2B66-10BE-442D-B931-891CF68F71F6.png

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fired up the lights today!

FBB5D77D-0B17-40DA-9699-48428120E991.jpeg

Man these ATI Stratons are sweet. Spread is unbelievable, nice subtle shimmer, absolutely stunning color profile. And they just look like Steve Jobs placed some Apple reef lights above my tank.

I had a heck of a time getting the lights connected via WiFi (might have to reach out to @ATI North America at some point for guidance). Eventually gave up and connected each light by Ethernet cable directly to my laptop. That worked like a charm.

The UI is pretty straight forward. I ended up using their Mixed Reef presetting at 30% intensity. This has PAR (using my Apogee USB PAR meter) at around 120 at the top of the scape (that’s almost 10 inches below water!) and around 80-90 ok the sand bed depending on the location. Left their pre-programmed ramp up and ramp down as is.

My plan is to leave the tank at this light level for a few weeks. I’ll introduce a few hardy LPS to the sand bed some time this week or next (scoly, cyphastrea, lobo) and see how the uglies go.

If all goes well I’ll crank up the lights to get 200-250 PAR up top in a month or so. Then maybe move my Digitata over and see how it goes

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the lights on and corals soon to come, the @reefcleaners CUC arrived today!
F97DF9E7-3FFD-42D2-82C4-00370F3823D3.jpeg

As per usual the packaging was top notch and everything settled in right quick, including Connor the Conch

B09F4A6C-9FFC-45FA-B104-75034511AAC2.jpeg

The tank is still quite clean so I’ll up the feeding a bit and toss an algae tab or two in to supplement everyone.
7E1F2B50-4607-4275-A5C8-B85C301E1B66.jpeg

As per usual, the dogs are less than impressed with my tank obsession.
AC996E75-3CD4-4456-83F4-00CA80A32603.jpeg

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some general updates…
  • I’ve ordered several of my dream fish. So excited! Getting a bonded pair of Genicanthus bellus next week. Following that, a Midas blenny. Sometime end of the month or early next month 3 of the 4 wrasses are coming (Exquisite Fairy, Orange Leopard, Radiant…going to be a bit of a wait for the Lineatus super male). Then, October 25th my Gem Tang and Blonde Naso Tang are coming. Woohoo!
  • Also October 25th, one of the guys from my LFS is coming over to help me out. We will pull out coral and rock from my current tank, catch and transfer the fish (Royal gramma, melanurus wrasse, white tail bristletooth tang, and Falco hawk fish) as well as my high end corals over to this system. Same evening someone is coming to haul away the old 65g setup.
Also, some thoughts on my biome experiment…

I tried to be thoughtful about how I set up this system to maximize health and stability and minimize the uglies. To that end, while I used dry Marco rock for the HNSA scape, everything else was with the biome in mind.

Sand bed is 120 lb of OceanDirect. Once cycled (which was super fast with that sand!) I seeded the tank and sump with AquaBiomics live sand, live sand and mud from IPSF, and a variety of miso-biome critters from IPSF. I also added 4 jars of AlgaeBarn Galaxy Pods and 2 jars of Jay’s Reef Bugs 7-species pods. I began dosing 30-45 mL of OceanMagik phyto daily and have done so ever since.

Lights stayed off for the first month, even when first fish (3 anthias) were added. Once lights came on in week 6, I added a carefully selected CUC. I also set the lights at 30% intensity to get LPS level PAR (150 at top of rock, 70-90 in the sand bed).

Finally, I added half a jar of PNS ProBio Substrate Sauce.

FWIW, the lights have been on for a little over a week now and there is no sign of any of the uglies…no diatoms, no dinos, no algae. Still very early (and I haven’t added corals yet) but I like how this is working out so far.

Next week will be first 10% water change (this past Sunday Nitrates we’re at 5.5). I’ll also move a couple LPS over from the old system then.

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking out my build thread, @Kenneth Wingerter! I’m a big fan of the work you’re doing with PNS bacteria.

Im convinced the reason I’ve never had a nitrate problem in my older tank is because I seeded with PNS ProBio. Enabled me to find a great balance of heavy-ish feeding (for fish and coral) without needing insanely heavy export.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in time for the first addition of fish, I also got my ReefMat! Really excited for this thing

Also of note, Roo was thoroughly unimpressed with the ReefMat installation process
I have the exact same tank, how do you get the

Is yours G2? If so, I have the same tank. How did you get stock filter cups/socks holder out? Does it just snap out somehow?

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ctopherl , I’m on a plane so I can’t take pictures to show you but…

The filter socks and media cups sit in a black plastic tray. If you remove the socks and cups you can slide that tray out (I believe it slides out to the right). It was tight in mine but a little elbow grease got it out fairly easily.

Then there is a glass baffle on the left. That baffle actually slides out by pulling it straight up.

Now, the glass baffle has a silicone bead along the bottom of it. While that bead technically isn’t glued to the floor of the sump, it’s pretty sticky. I ended up getting a razor blade and gently breaking the “seal” to get the baffle out.

Congrats on the tank! I think you’ll love it. They obviously put some real craftsmanship into these Reefer S tanks and I just love mine :)

Last edited:

Kenneth Wingerter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for checking out my build thread, @Kenneth Wingerter! I’m a big fan of the work you’re doing with PNS bacteria.

Im convinced the reason I’ve never had a nitrate problem in my older tank is because I seeded with PNS ProBio. Enabled me to find a great balance of heavy-ish feeding (for fish and coral) without needing insanely heavy export.
That's so awesome, thank you!

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey @ctopherl , I’m on a plane so I can’t take pictures to show you but…

The filter socks and media cups sit in a black plastic tray. If you remove the socks and cups you can slide that tray out (I believe it slides out to the right). It was tight in mine but a little elbow grease got it out fairly easily.

Then there is a glass baffle on the left. That baffle actually slides out by pulling it straight up.

Now, the glass baffle has a silicone bead along the bottom of it. While that bead technically isn’t glued to the floor of the sump, it’s pretty sticky. I ended up getting a razor blade and gently breaking the “seal” to get the baffle out.

Congrats on the tank! I think you’ll love it. They obviously put some real craftsmanship into these Reefer S tanks and I just love mine :)
Jeez replying to your R2R thread on a plane? Thats dedication! Ok that sounds much better than the cutting/scraping video Red Sea has to remove from the older tanks.

Safe travels!

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks in with lights on. As a reminder, I've got the lights firing up at 6:30 am and hitting peak at 9:30 am. They stay at peak from 9:30 am - 5 pm and then slowly ramp down to turn off at 6:30 pm. At peak lighting, the tank is getting 150 PAR at the top of the rocks and 70-90 PAR on the sandbed.

I couldn't be happier with how things are going thus far. As you can see in the video (just taken a few minutes ago), there are NO diatoms, dinos, algae, or cyano. I haven't even had to clean the glass yet.

For the record, I am feeding 3 times a day (frozen and phyto in the AM, frozen plus half an algae tab in the afternoon, pellets in the PM)

PS - If you listen closely you can hear our insane Yellow Naped Amazon parrots screeching in the background. I don't even think I notice their idiocy anymore...haha

OP
OP
beesnreefs

beesnreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big day today! First water change…and first corals added!

Tested before hand. Nitrates up to 5.5, Phosphates still 0. I think the PNS ProBio will help manage nitrates in the long run but I’ve always had the habit of weekly to bi-weekly water changes so I’m sticking with that for this system. In anticipation of my pair of Bellus coming tomorrow I set aside time today for the first water change.

Im no genius and I’m certain I’m not the only one to use a setup like this…but I ended up buying a foodgrade 20 gallon “trash” can including the lid and roller attachment. Also bought a Sicce Ultra Zero draining water pump (it sucks water from the flat bottom of the pump) and a Python extension set to screw onto the outlet of the Sicce.

I’m happy to pay for convenience and don’t have the ambition or space to set up a mixing station…plus I’m only doing 15 gallons of water change a week…so I get water form my LFS a mile away. Added bonus, I get to go spend time with them every week!

I measured and marked 15 gallons on the inside of the can.
8834E4E6-B0B4-4FFB-88A8-93E460D72BA2.jpeg

Then used the Python vacuum head to suck exactly 15 gallons from the display. Rolled everything over to the kitchen sink and used the Sicce to empty the old water down the drain.

That roller is fantastic!!

Then added the fresh salt water to the can, rolled it back to the tank, and used the Sicce to add it to the tank. Voilà!

Tested alkalinity and matched it to my old tank (7.7). Then I grabbed two corals from the old tank and pulled them out into a small container with fresh salt water. Inspected each piece closely (found and killed a decent sized aiptasia!). Then dipped both corals in dilute hydrogen peroxide to eliminate any potential algae, etc.

Finally, when I felt like they were good and clean, added them to the new tank. In just a couple of hours they were right back to happy.

E6AEF219-C676-45F6-AD02-5338179D9C16.jpeg

7B958C55-C135-4DE2-97E3-F868EA86B147.jpeg

Back