My Zoo Med 50 Gallon Low Boy Build

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just checked the one I have. Outside dimensions (outside trim measurements) was exactly 24x48. One tape showed just a hair over (like a ¹/16), but could be within margin of error with my tape measure. Definitely not less than 24x48.

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting your build, it looks great. I am going to be doing one of these with a eshopps eclipse m overflow and 40 gallon sump with plans to run a 2nd low boy off it in the near future. I might also be looking into doing the muscle rack like TerraMagnus now that I saw this. I was looking around earlier trying to figure out what I was gonna rig up for a stand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

calireefer831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting your build, it looks great. I am going to be doing one of these with a eshopps eclipse m overflow and 40 gallon sump with plans to run a 2nd low boy off it in the near future. I might also be looking into doing the muscle rack like TerraMagnus now that I saw this. I was looking around earlier trying to figure out what I was gonna rig up for a stand.
I built a basic stand. Materials were about 150$ I may end up adding a second one as well and plumbing it into the same sump if it turns out well. Or I maybe a separate system. We will just have to see how it plays out. On this build I specifically did not want an external overflow. Especially considering most of them cost more than the tank itself. If I were to do it differently I would also drill holes for the return rather than them being external

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a basic stand. Materials were about 150$ I may end up adding a second one as well and plumbing it into the same sump if it turns out well. Or I maybe a separate system. We will just have to see how it plays out. On this build I specifically did not want an external overflow. Especially considering most of them cost more than the tank itself. If I were to do it differently I would also drill holes for the return rather than them being external
Good to know. Why would you do it that way? Returns hard to secure? Was the only reason you didn't do an external overflow because of the cost? I will have to make the decision down the road weather or not to do a seperate sump also. I worry about the system crashing and losing everything where if there was 2 pumps I would still have half my corals.

OP
OP
C

calireefer831

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Why would you do it that way? Returns hard to secure? Was the only reason you didn't do an external overflow because of the cost? I will have to make the decision down the road weather or not to do a seperate sump also. I worry about the system crashing and losing everything where if there was 2 pumps I would still have half my corals.
I didn't see your post until just now.

I would drill the holes for the returns because it looks cleaner and because i had a hard time getting it to work right by having them be external. the biggest reason I didn't do an external overflow was because of the cost. I have just one return pump that does 1060 GPH but if i were to do it again i would probably get a bigger pump or double up the current pump i have to get more flow. I just recently added a gyre due to not enough flow

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't see your post until just now.

I would drill the holes for the returns because it looks cleaner and because i had a hard time getting it to work right by having them be external. the biggest reason I didn't do an external overflow was because of the cost. I have just one return pump that does 1060 GPH but if i were to do it again i would probably get a bigger pump or double up the current pump i have to get more flow. I just recently added a gyre due to not enough flow
Good to know. I think I’m gonna go with the apex core 15 pump. I assume 1500 gph should be fine with a 700 external return And I want to be able to use the apex system to its full potential once I get it.

Driceftw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Loving the low boy. I just drilled mine and got it painted the other day. I just need to get my stand built and plumb the system.
20220130_200805.jpg

Markhoh3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just picked up 2 of them with stands and drilled for $200. Doing one as a lagoon and one as a frag tank.

Attachments

• 232A7D5F-A0E6-418F-B0B3-0375D2C29DF3.jpeg
    232A7D5F-A0E6-418F-B0B3-0375D2C29DF3.jpeg
    42.9 KB · Views: 237

2ClownGal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cam across a zoomed frag tank at my lfs for $150 and I had been looking at doing a frag/growout tank for some time so I decided to buy it.

I am still deciding on how I want to set it up but i figured I would post pics and update as I go along.

My plan is to drill two holes for overflows and have dual returns. I have ordered most plumbing fittings and a glass hole drilling kit which should arrive soon.

I purchased 50 pounds of reef rock rubble which I plan to use as my substrate as I am not a big fan or plugs or egg crate

Pics today is my progress on the stand for the tank. I will likely add some plywood and am debating about if i want to paint or stain the stand.

KIMG0964.JPG KIMG0963.JPG KIMG0962.JPG KIMG0967.JPG
I'd love to see an update!

awhatley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I cam across a zoomed frag tank at my lfs for $150 and I had been looking at doing a frag/growout tank for some time so I decided to buy it.

I am still deciding on how I want to set it up but i figured I would post pics and update as I go along.

My plan is to drill two holes for overflows and have dual returns. I have ordered most plumbing fittings and a glass hole drilling kit which should arrive soon.

I purchased 50 pounds of reef rock rubble which I plan to use as my substrate as I am not a big fan or plugs or egg crate

Pics today is my progress on the stand for the tank. I will likely add some plywood and am debating about if i want to paint or stain the stand.

KIMG0964.JPG KIMG0963.JPG KIMG0962.JPG KIMG0967.JPG
Do you have the blueprints of the stand build? I have the same tank and have no idea where to start on building the stand. I have someone that knows how to build they just need blueprints. Any help would be appreciated.

AKABigBlack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the low boy. I just drilled mine and got it painted the other day. I just need to get my stand built and plumb the system.
20220130_200805.jpg
I'm gearing up to do this too, and now seeing your setup I have to ask, how is the overflow on the long side of the tank working out? I have an eclipse L and I can't imagine it's a huge difference having it on the end, but I'm curious and seeing this has me rethinking where I drill. Also, what size bulkheads are your returns?

EakTheFreak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm gearing up to do this too, and now seeing your setup I have to ask, how is the overflow on the long side of the tank working out? I have an eclipse L and I can't imagine it's a huge difference having it on the end, but I'm curious and seeing this has me rethinking where I drill. Also, what size bulkheads are your returns?
Full transparency, I haven’t gotten it wet yet. The side port works as an overflow up then the return pump also doubles as a wave maker!

They were weird sizes like 44mm & 32mm for drilling it.

I will post back on here once I get the tank running!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%

Back