Mysis too large?

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've got a pair of clowns that I've been trying to feed pe mysis But it seems the pieces are slightly too big for them so they spit it out and just leave it.

Is there any way to make it easier for them to eat?

YankeeTankee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will eat anything, if they can fit it in their mouths of course! Yes just chop it up.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will eat anything, if they can fit it in their mouths of course! Yes just chop it up.
I 100% agree. I give them small pellets but I have always preferred feeding more frozen foods on all my tanks. (I do still give a few pellets every other day or so in order to mix it up)

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the clowns? If they are very small i prefer to tiny foods like cyclops, mixed with brine cubes and an algae cube of some kind every third day or so. They are a very slow growing fish compared to some that we keep.

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have much better luck with San Francisco Bay Mysis. My fish do not like PE Mysis, its too big and they just don't enjoy it as much.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are the clowns? If they are very small i prefer to tiny foods like cyclops, mixed with brine cubes and an algae cube of some kind every third day or so. They are a very slow growing fish compared to some that we keep.
They're still only like an inch

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have much better luck with San Francisco Bay Mysis. My fish do not like PE Mysis, its too big and they just don't enjoy it as much.
I only got the PE mysis because I saw my local Petco had them and I wanted to give it a shot

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes Hikari is the smallest of Mysis, then San Fran Mysis.
My lfs are closed unfortunately so the only thing open is PetSmart and Petco and they only carry Omega one in frozen (and from checking them out, their nutritional value is not great)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your home can make some frozen food of your own with a few dollars of frozen sea food. Brs has a nice video on the process.

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your home can make some frozen food of your own with a few dollars of frozen sea food. Brs has a nice video on the process.
The tank only has the 2 clowns and a cleaner shrimp.
I do also have a 55g with South and Central American cichlids. Do you think If I make my own I could also feed to them?

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank only has the 2 clowns and a cleaner shrimp.
I do also have a 55g with South and Central American cichlids. Do you think If I make my own I could also feed to them?
What species of cichlids?
I tend to add freeze dried insects or bloodworms and peas to my freshwater food mixes. But if balanced with other foods like one day the diy the next a part they next a more complete freshwater ready diet will likely be fine :)

OP
OP
Foxchase

Foxchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species of cichlids?
I tend to add freeze dried insects or bloodworms and peas to my freshwater food mixes. But if balanced with other foods like one day the diy the next a part they next a more complete freshwater ready diet will likely be fine :)
Jack Dempsey, fire mouth, acara.
Do you think I could use the same base of food as a mix and then split them and add freshwater specific food for my freshwater? Or should I just not even bother and only make saltwater.
(I am getting more sw fish but Its still a relatively new tank and I'm taking my time with it)

Gareth elliott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jack Dempsey, fire mouth, acara.
Do you think I could use the same base of food as a mix and then split them and add freshwater specific food for my freshwater? Or should I just not even bother and only make saltwater.
(I am getting more sw fish but Its still a relatively new tank and I'm taking my time with it)
Yes could use the same base and customize into separate bags :)

Most fish meal in commercial diets are only 3 species world wide.

PHXReefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a pair of scissors to chop up the food in a small ramekin. I have to do this with the LRS Nano frenzy food cause my fish are small.

Twisted1990s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem. I made the mistake of buying jumbo frozen mysis shrimp and they are just to big for most of my fish.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hikari make both regular and jumbo mysis. My fish will eat the regular and also the larger PE mysis, but they will not eat the hikari jumbo.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 146 60.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 35.3%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.8%
  • Other

Votes: 66 27.4%
Back