Mysterious fish deaths continue?

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm continuing to experience mysterious fish deaths one every 3,4, 5, 6 months and even longer of established fish that were originally prophylactically quarantined and been fine in DT, with no obvious signs of disease.

The pattern is pretty similar. They are totally fine, then begin to hide a bit but still eat for several months. They continue to hide some and eat, then stop eating and die. The last fish was a bit different, a tail spot blenny was fine for 18 months and eating, stopped eating for one day, and then just died . I now have a Flasher wrasse (in DT for 2 years) that started acting unusually, hiding some, about 3 months ago but still ate but not real active, and now stopped eating 3 days ago altogether.

Two other wrasse have been in the DT for three years and are fine as of now.

I dont want to add any more fish and subject them to whatever might be going on. The remaining "healthy" survivors are Timor wrasse, pink streaked wrasse and royal gramma. I hate to say it but I think the only thing for me to do at this point is not add anything, and wait to see if the rest succumb to it and then fallow for 76 days. It's very frustrating. I did have some prazi resistant flukes about 2.5 years ago but I seemed to have successfully treated those with Fenbendazole baths.

any thoughts?

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm continuing to experience mysterious fish deaths one every 3,4, 5, 6 months and even longer of established fish that were originally prophylactically quarantined and been fine in DT, with no obvious signs of disease.

The pattern is pretty similar. They are totally fine, then begin to hide a bit but still eat for several months. They continue to hide some and eat, then stop eating and die. The last fish was a bit different, a tail spot blenny was fine for 18 months and eating, stopped eating for one day, and then just died . I now have a Flasher wrasse (in DT for 2 years) that started acting unusually, hiding some, about 3 months ago but still ate but not real active, and now stopped eating 3 days ago altogether.

Two other wrasse have been in the DT for three years and are fine as of now.

I dont want to add any more fish and subject them to whatever might be going on. The remaining "healthy" survivors are Timor wrasse, pink streaked wrasse and royal gramma. I hate to say it but I think the only thing for me to do at this point is not add anything, and wait to see if the rest succumb to it and then fallow for 76 days. It's very frustrating. I did have some prazi resistant flukes about 2.5 years ago but I seemed to have successfully treated those with Fenbendazole baths.

any thoughts?
Hmm I’d definitely say to find the cause. Without knowing what is causing the issue there’s no way to fix the problem. I would check your parameters or do an ICP test, maybe there’s some weird foreign toxin at play here. curious if anyone else can solve the issue

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm I’d definitely say to find the cause. Without knowing what is causing the issue there’s no way to fix the problem. I would check your parameters or do an ICP test, maybe there’s some weird foreign toxin at play here. curious if anyone else can solve the issue
I'll check all parameters but I bet they will be fine. I have some shrimp and snails in there that have been in there for three years. I would think any toxicity would have taken those out. I don't know what and ICP test, where would I get that done?

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll check all parameters but I bet they will be fine. I have some shrimp and snails in there that have been in there for three years. I would think any toxicity would have taken those out. I don't know what and ICP test, where would I get that done?
You can order it online and they’ll ship you a ICP test container thing, you open the box, fill the samples accordingly and send it to the pre-printed label. They test for all of the major elements in our water and some extras lol. I would suggest that because I’m not really sure what could be killing them. Doesn’t sound like a physical presence is causing them to die so it may be chemical.

Sometimes an LFS will have them

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back